PDA

View Full Version : Removing beds from jointer......

Todd Davidson
02-26-2006, 3:08 PM
How many of y'all have removed the beds from your jointers?

I have an older Grizzly 8" jointer (G1018) and I'd like to remove the beds, clean, and repaint the machine but, given that everything is aligned really well right now, I'm concerned about it being a royal PITA to get everything aligned again.

Mike Cutler
02-26-2006, 3:22 PM
Todd.
I took a 6" Jet apart, because I broke it.:( It was a royal pain to take apart and reassemble. Resetting the ways was a little time consuming.

I'd be inclined to blow it out with high pressure air, mask it, sand it. Then prime and paint it in place.

lou sansone
02-26-2006, 4:14 PM
It might be a pain, but that is the way you get to know these relatively simple machines.

best wishes and take some photos for the rest of us

Lou

Brad Kimbrell
02-26-2006, 4:25 PM
Todd,

I have a Crafftsman 6" that was turning out boards with cuped centers when I edge-jointed them (since added a Delta DJ-20 8" and love it!).

I took the beds apart and had holy heck putting them back together where they were parallel in both planes, but if I can do it, anyone can. I did have to take it off of the stand and get it up on the bench on some blocks where I could see what I was doing!

As Lou said, at least now I know what's happening "under the hood" when I move the height settings. It was worth it and I now feel much more confident about the machine as I know that it is dead on accurate.

I plan to sell it in a few weeks to make more room in the shop and now I can do so without fear of handing off a problem to a fellow woodworker.

It's 30 years old in July and it is as perfect as the day my father bought it for us when I was 16. He also purchased a Craftsman 10" contractors saw and I bought the electronic Radial Arm saw (still have it also, but use the Makita 10" sliding compound miter saw more often).

So, the jointer is one of the tools that got me started. Hate to see it go, but Dad had a new 6" that he found in the junkyard and has fixed it good as new.

Good luck with your exploration!

Jeff Horton
02-26-2006, 4:31 PM
Humm, I just took an old 6" Delta (short bed) apart last night. It was given to me and has been sitting up for many years. Beds was bad sticky and the tops are rusty. I want to get it usable. Will repaint it after I use it if I like it.

Anyway, it was simple to take apart. Just had to remove the cutter head assembly first. Just a couple of bolts holding this one. Then I could loosen the bed(s) and slide them off. I found it very simple once I figured out how it all worked.

I cleaned the ways, applied a little bit of grease and reassembled in no more than 1.5 hours. It was very simple and straight forward. I will probably have to tweak it just bit but they are simple machines. The only problem I see you having it weight if you have a longer bed.

Todd Davidson
02-26-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, I've nearly disassembled the the entire machine. Removed the infeed bed. Will remove the outfeed bed and cutterhead assembly tomorrow. Biggest problem thus far is that I sprung the spring on the guard. First forseeable problem is going to be figuring out how to keep the gibs in place while repositioning the beds in their ways.

Mike~ Tried blowing everything out. Helped some and removed alot of the original paint. The sludge (mix of sawdust, WD40, wax, and coffee) under the the tables requires scraping.

Lou~ I agree, this is the best way to really get to know a machine. Will try to remember to take some pics tomorrow before I get too far along.

Brad~ My plan today was to simply remove the fence to clean and wax everything (as well as take the belt off to be replaced). Closer attention revealed the need (not the want) to really clean and repaint (rust revealed). Did end up seperating the jointer from it's base before removing the infeed bed. Much easier to disassemble with the machine elevated.

Jeff~ Was considering not removing the cutter head assembly (mine as well is simply attached with two bolts) as I'm unsure how to properly reinstall - I'm assuming there should be a set distance/elevation between the assembly and the body :confused: .

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

In peace, Todd

JayStPeter
02-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Todd,

I restored/rebuilt a 60s 6" delta and put a Byrd cutterhead on my G1018.

The cutterhead assembly is the easiest part. I would have removed it first so you don't damage it when removing the big heavy parts. Just unbolt the two bolts and bolt back on. No alignment or tweaking really necessary.

Reassembly of the tables isn't too bad, but you really need three hands. I got a friend to help even though the weight on the 6" I rebuilt wasn't bad. Just so I could easily get all the parts to line up right. Mine went back together perfectly, but I had some shim stock around just in case.

Jay

Todd Davidson
02-27-2006, 6:38 PM
Hi Jay~

I removed the infeed bed on the G1018 by sliding it down and off. Will remove the cutterhead before I remove the outfeed bed. Planned on working on it some more this evening, but I just got home from work and am really beat.

Is you G1018, perchance, one of the older models that has an actual spring that is attached to the cutterhead guard and the guard post as oppossed to the spring-tang on just the post? Can't seem to find the part # for the spring as the manual on Griz's site is for the later style G1018.

In peace, Todd

JayStPeter
02-28-2006, 8:42 AM
Todd,

Mines a '97 model, but has the newer guard style.

That's one thing I never got working right on my old Rockwell. Even though I got a new spring from Delta, it sprung and bent just as the one it replaced had. I see why the new design, but am not impressed with it either. A flat spot for the spindly clamp to grab keeps me from "winding" to preload the spring a little so it will actually return properly.

Enjoy your project. I had fun refurbing the Rockwell 6", but it wasn't very cost effective for me. Sounds like yours needs less work though.

Jay

Todd Davidson
02-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi Jay~

The overhaul on my machine is mostly cosmetic and preventive maintenance (it's a late 80's model I believe - no serial # to be found just going on the word of the previous owner). Ran well and was aligned properly before I dismantled it, but I wan't it to be as good as it can get before I start another big project. A fellow Creeker has offered to give me a hand with it. Always good to have a set of experienced eyes and hands around.

Think when I call Grizzly tomorrow I'll inquire as to whether I can retrofit the newer style blade guard. Given how little my initial investment in this machine was I may have to entertain the thought of the Byrd cutterhead.

Thanks for your input and encouragement Jay.

In peace, Todd

Michael Adelong
03-01-2006, 6:41 AM
Todd,

Please remember the pics!

I also have a G1018 (bought last year), and I had considered performing the same operation.

Thank you,
Michael

Todd Davidson
03-01-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi Michael~

As soon as I have a chance to get back to disassembling the jointer I'll take and post some pics. Haven't had the time to work on it since last weekend.

In peace, Todd