PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Dwayne Payne
02-26-2006, 3:01 PM
I am new here also. Been lurking and reading for a little while. Thought it time to come out and play. I am 42, live in Houston and am trying to put together a shop. I am a wannabee. My wife and I have no kids at home...all grown and gone. So being the kind and understanding person she is, I have my shop inside the house. I took what used to be the formal living and dining area and closed it off. Ripped up the carpet and have been hard at work buyng tools. Dust collector is on garage with duct work running through attic. I have one more major peice to buy and I think I will be set for a week or 2.

I have come up with a couple of questions, I will post seperately for each. The first one I have is about routers. I read a post earlier about the tables you have been building. First of all....VERY nice work by all who posted pictures. Secondly, looks like there is quite a following of people using the M12V router. Why? is this better, cheaper than the Porter Cable? I will eventually build a table and am now thinking of what model router to look for. I buy used in good shape when I can.

Dwayne

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2006, 3:07 PM
Dwayne.........Welcome to the Creek! From beginners to pros they're all here willing to exchange information and lend an opinion! I personally own a PC with which I've been quite happy!

Again.........Welcome!

Robert Waddell
02-26-2006, 3:13 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Dwayne!
I hope you got good doors between your shop and the rest of the house, cause if you don't, your going to be living in sawdust in every part of your house. I think the main reason you have heard so much about the Hitachi M12 router is mostly due to the fact that it is a great value. The PC with simlar Hp is quiet a bit more money. Both are good.
Robert

tod evans
02-26-2006, 3:30 PM
welcome dwayne! i`m one of the fellows who only uses portercable routers. i`ve had very good service from them for over 20 yrs...02 tod

Bob Noles
02-26-2006, 4:27 PM
Dwayne,

A big and hearty welcome to SMC.

You have gotten some good answers so far on your router question and many more will follow. I believe Mr. Wadell summed it up quite nicely on the economics vs HP of the 2 brands mentioned so far. I use a Dewalt 618 myself and have been very happy with the (2) I own. The most common considerations of a router are, what you plan on doing with one which will determine the HP size you will need and the comfort (feel) factor that can only be achieved by visiting your nearest retailer and putting one in your hands. There are many good brands out there, but be sure you get one that has good compatibility with available accessories and handle styles as well as needed HP for intended use.

Pat Warner has a great website that can assist you in making an informed decision. I suggest you google him up and have a look around at what he has to offer in the way of assistance.

Look forward to seeing you around the Creek and sharing experiences with you.

Jim Hager
02-26-2006, 4:45 PM
Could't say on the router right now as I haven't bought a new router in several years. I have a PC 690 and 2 bosch 1617evs and a............seven in all but none of them new and up to date.

Welcome to the creek.

Eric Shields
02-26-2006, 4:52 PM
Dwayne,

Sorry I cannot make a contribution to you question as I am at the beginning phase of shop construction. However, I did want to welcome you to the creek. A lot of good knowledge here, even better, a willingness to share that knowledge and experience with others.

Eric

Dwayne Payne
02-26-2006, 5:09 PM
Thank you all for the welcome. From the post I have read I think I am going to like it here. As for a router I do have to lay my hands on a few of them. I am not prpared to buy just yet but I know it is coming.

Yes...the saw dust is terrible. I do try to stay on top of it but it easily get out of control with the little work I have done. I think I am going to have to move the collector inside and try the Wynn canister filter setup. Eventually I will move to a cyclone of the Bill Pentz design.

Thanks again

Dwayne