PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Brian King
02-26-2006, 2:15 PM
Hello,
I've been reading this forum for a while now and I thought it's time introduce myself. My name is Brian King, I am married with 3 children ages 3, 8, and 9. I work as a manufacturing engineer at a small local converting knife company. I am a journeyman toolmaker with 22 years experience in making molds, jigs & fixtures, and odd parts. I've used anything from large 77" VTL's (vertical turret lathes) to EDM's with 20 ton Kenworth hood molds on them to automated cnc's. I like cnc programming and setup, and machine design.
I like woodworking and tinkering with anything mechanical as long is it at the time of my choosing. I really like old woodworking machinery. I appreciate the quality of workmanship and materials that went into them. I have a collection of ww equipment. Rockwell shaper, Rockwell 18" wedgebed planer, Rockwell 8" jointer, 2 Rockwell uni's, 1 Powermatic 66,
2 Tannewitz U's, a Parks 16" bandsaw, a DoAll geared head drill press, a 2hp Hammond cyclone DC, an old 14" Delta wood and metal bandsaw, and a host of smaller tools. Some I'm going to keep some will stay. I'm in the process of putting together an efficient ww shop for me to be able to use in the evening and weekends. I'm posting a photo of my shop and the old Delta/Rockwell bandsaw (with cast iron base! & high and low gearbox, and a few other pieces just for fun. A couple of a 1961 Tannewitz Model U trunnion for comparison to the newer saw construction. (For those who have never seen one)
I like to buy, sell, trade, restore, and collect machinery and tools. I'm definately a toolnut.
I've enjoyed reading in this forum and have learned a few things along the way. I've also been peeved a few times, but I consider that normal when a person reads so many views about subjects of relative importance to oneself. Healthy and energetic discussion. Right?
Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer questions, tell stories, and give of themselves to the furum.
Good day. Brian

Ken Shoemaker
02-26-2006, 2:19 PM
Brian,
Welcome to the Creek!!! Looks like you ave a great hobby in collecting the "old iron". With your experience, I'll belooking forard to your post and pictures...

Welcome aboard!!! Ken

Tyler Howell
02-26-2006, 2:24 PM
Welcome Brian,
You already know what a great place this is and were better off having you on board.
Picture police Seal of Aproval

Dan Oliphant
02-26-2006, 2:37 PM
Brian, welcome and now you need to start using that great equipment to make furniture.

Jim Becker
02-26-2006, 2:40 PM
Welcome, Brian. Nice iron!!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2006, 2:56 PM
Welcome to the Creek Brian! I'm sure we call all learn something from you!

Robert Waddell
02-26-2006, 3:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Brian!

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 3:26 PM
You're gonn' find some kindred spirits here, Brian.

John

tod evans
02-26-2006, 3:35 PM
welcome brian! you`ll fit right in, don`t be afraid to voice your .02.. i`ve been chipping mine in for a while and ain`t broke yet....02 tod

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-26-2006, 3:42 PM
Welcome to the creek, Brian. Never too many toolheads around.

Bruce

Brad Kimbrell
02-26-2006, 4:17 PM
Brian, I'm new here also. My father is a jack-of-all-trades and master of most, so I'm familiar with the "old iron". Dad's still working on old machines and enjoying it. I once asked him what he would do if he won the lottery. I said "you could build a workshop with both wood and metal working tools..." and he said "yeah, but I do better with old machines...I'd rather fix up an old one than just have a bunch of new ones appear out of nowhere".

Now I get it. I wish I had 10% of his skills... He bought an old Atlas 12 x 48" lathe in a garage sale for $100 out of some guys barn last year. It was missing some parts and several gears were broken. He actually cut the gears out of sheet stock and it is running perfectly! He's an amazing guy.

He also found 2 old Atlas 6x18 lathes and took the parts from both and made one working one. I have it here in Lexington, Ky (he's in Shreveport, La.) and have been playing with it. I broke a shear pin the other day and now have to replace that, but I found a manual online and found the part I need at Ace in their hardward drawers. Wish me luck!

Nice to have another machine expert here. I'm sure that we will all benefit from your posts. Welcome! :)

lou sansone
02-26-2006, 4:27 PM
welcome to the creek
there are several iron heads here. can you provide a few more photos of the tanniewitz u? does it have a riving knife ?

thanks
lou

Bob Noles
02-26-2006, 4:31 PM
Hi Brian and welcome into the water. You have been standing on the bank to long and it is time to get wet and you cretainly have with that opening post.

Look forward to seeing you around.

Jim Hager
02-26-2006, 4:42 PM
Welcome Brian. You should fit in just fine.

Eric Shields
02-26-2006, 4:45 PM
Brian,

Welcome to the creek. I'm sure with your experience you will more than fit in with the experienced side of the house helping out those of us with experience to gain.

Eric

Brian King
02-26-2006, 6:14 PM
Hi Lou,
No riving knife here. Plain Jane I suppose. But very solid. I powered up her sister yesterday (or maybe it's her brother because he's grey hmmmm)
Anyway, I ripped a 2 x 4 a couple of times just to see how it cuts. It was smoooth. Nice. The sawdust shot almost out of the 6 inch dust port. It was laying in a pile and 1/2 of it was actually out of the port. With the design of the trunnion and cabinet bottom dust collection will be superb with a dc system. Here are a few more photos if you're interested.
Much thanks to all that gave kind words of welcome.
Brian

lou sansone
02-26-2006, 6:39 PM
yea I wasn't sure if the tannie has a riving knife or not.
nice dovetailed ways in the height adjustment. what do they do for tilt

thanks
lou

Brian King
02-26-2006, 7:16 PM
Hi Lou,
The tilt is a large handwheel which is connected to an acme screw and a large acme nut on the trunnion. Here is a pic which shows the screw, nut, and trunnion. I like the adjustable gibs on the raise and lower mechanism. I'll have more pics of these two saws and some of the Uni's and Powermatic 66 as I restore/ Recondition them. I say recondition because I will modify a machine from original if it makes it better in some way.
Best regards,
Brian.

Steve Clardy
02-26-2006, 7:20 PM
Welcome Brian!!

Von Bickley
02-26-2006, 8:27 PM
Brian,
Welcome to the Creek...
:)

Julio Navarro
02-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Welcome Brian, from a new member as well. And dont forget, if you ever feel the urge to part with one of those band saws, I have a nice warm home for one.