PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Creekers Lunch

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Well folks,

We had our lunch, tour of Johnson's Lumber and visit to Steve Ash's shop. I've got lots of pictures, so you'll have to look at the following posts to see them all. These first are of the members during the lunch at La Seniorita's in Lansing, MI.

It was good to see Jim Hinze bring his daughter, Emma along. She's a budding turner and was proud of her pen. A couple of guys were good enough to give her some turning blanks.

Next, Keith July and Ken Cook.

Going around the table, we've got Paul Downes and Mike Cody.

Mike Gibbons and son Brad.

And finally for this post Ken again with Tom Drake and Bill Lewis.

We've got more, and I'll be posting them later, but right now, I've got to hand the internet over to the wife.

John

tod evans
02-26-2006, 11:00 AM
what a motley looking crew! looks like ya`ll had fun. tod

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 12:01 PM
OK, I'm back. The next picture rounds out the eating table with Steve Ash Jr., Steve Ash and Jim Young. I didn't get a picture of Jeff Johnson, who rode down with me from the North Country, Brad Olson (sorry about that) and your's truly. Maybe Steve got one us the "missing."32758

After lunch we drove to Charlotte to visit Johnson's Lumber. There we started by watching a video showing the transition from log to lumber. the first picture is of our guide, sorry, I didn't remember his name. 32759 Next picture is of Ken and Tom watching the video. 32760 Next is Bill, Keith and Stever Jr. 32761

I'll get to the outside picture and shop pictures in the next post.

John

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 12:17 PM
After the video, we went outside to take a look at the lumbr yard.32762 Our guide showed where the lumber was brought in, sorted, and then32763 it was into the shop to see where the boards were milled. First we saw the debarker.32764 Then we saw where the sawyer used a giant bandsaw to make boards out of the logs. I couldn't get a good picture of the machine so I got some pictures of the bandsaw blades. Some were hanging from the ceiling,32765 others were on the floor.32766 It was interesting to note that each blade is sharpened after 4 hours use. The next post will show a picture of the sharpener.

John

Michael Gibbons
02-26-2006, 12:19 PM
What happened to everyone? I was scrounging through the lumber room and when I came out everyone was gone. The beverages at Steves must have been calling...LOUDLY.:)

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 12:28 PM
The first picture is of the bandsaw blade sharpener. Quite an operation with these big blades.32767

Next we went to the milling area. It seems to be just a bit biggr than my 20x20 shop.32768 Of course they had a lot of Big Ole' 'Arn.32769 They had the original steam engine that powered the belts.32770 They, of course, have switched to diesel.32771

The next post will have a few of the other machines.

John

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 12:38 PM
My favourite was the Big Ole' Bandsaw. It was even the right colour.32772 The planer was pretty impressive also.32773

After the tour of the shop, many of us went to the board room and the warehouse to pick out some boards. They had a good selection.32774

It was great of Johnson's to give us the tour. We appreciated it and thank them. From Johnson's it was off to Steve Ash's shop for some BS and refreshments.

John

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 12:51 PM
At Steve's, we stood around and talked about woodworking, life in general and the lack of snow in that part of the world. 3277932778

The final picture from Steve's shop is the man himself. Looks pretty comfortable leaning against that saw with a beer, doesn't he.

And last a group picture.

A good time was had by all. Didn't see any snow down in that part of the state. Although at one point I noticed a streak go by in the sky headed East. Something yellow dropped from the streak. It looked like cheese. I wonder if Frank Pellow heard anything about crashes in his area.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Looks like a great Creeker time! I'm envious!

John Bailey
02-26-2006, 1:02 PM
Hey Mike,

That was a fast crowd, you had to hustle to keep up. Hope Brad had a good time. It was good to have the kids there.

John

Steve Ash
02-26-2006, 1:27 PM
Okay I got a couple of pics I can add for you John.

Sorry Mike, I wondered what happenend to you... we are a fast crowd.

The tour guide is also a member here at Sawmill Creek, his name is Ron Campeau.

It was great for us all to get together and Thanks for heading this up John.

Here is a pic of the leader of the pack....Mr. John Bailey in the white sweater.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1536.jpg

Steve Ash
02-26-2006, 1:29 PM
...and a picture of Brad Olson sitting next to Emma, Jim Hinze's daughter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1534.jpg

Russ Massery
02-26-2006, 1:35 PM
WOW! looked like a great outing. I'll have try to make it next time. If you plan another John.

Jim Becker
02-26-2006, 2:39 PM
Looks like it was a nice time for all!

Tom Drake
02-26-2006, 5:32 PM
Great pictures John. I wish i had taken my digital with me yesterday. This has to be one of the greatest get togethers ever. I hope we can do it again soon.

Keith Outten
02-26-2006, 6:35 PM
Looks like everyone enjoyed themselves...some more than others :)

John obviously did a great job of organizing the days events and I noticed from the pics that nobody was wearing what I consider to be a winter coat, at least not from your part of the country so the weather must be really mild for this time of the year.

Now I need to find a way to get one of those big band saw blades on my 18" Jet so I resaw faster :)

Wish I could have been there.

Frank Pellow
02-26-2006, 8:51 PM
A good time was had by all. Didn't see any snow down in that part of the state. Although at one point I noticed a streak go by in the sky headed East. Something yellow dropped from the streak. It looked like cheese. I wonder if Frank Pellow heard anything about crashes in his area.

No, no crashes here that I know of. But, we do have snow. I have had to shovel the sidewalk and driveway the last three mornings n a row.

I'm glad that a good time was had by all my next door neighbours in Michigan(well if states and provinces count as doors you are next door).

John Miliunas
02-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Though I realize this is a long shot, it appears to me that all the participants had a great time! :D Oh, and the yellow you saw was actually an attempt by Karl & myself to catapult some real beer to take over to Steve's. The rubberband broke when we tried to launch ourselves but, apparently the smaller spare one was too much for the beer. Musta' reached de-canning velocity and that streak of yellow you saw was the beer, sans the cans. :D Well, back to the drawing board for us! :) :cool:

Garry Smith
02-27-2006, 3:27 PM
If any of you trolls ever get across the bridge, let me know and I'll buy ya's lunch and shoot the bull for awhile.
Garry

Tom Drake
02-27-2006, 7:59 PM
If any of you trolls ever get across the bridge, let me know and I'll buy ya's lunch and shoot the bull for awhile.
Garry

That would be a great trip Garry. It might be in the plans for this summer.

Garry Smith
02-28-2006, 8:46 AM
That would be a great trip Garry. It might be in the plans for this summer.

Great Tom,
Just email me ahead of time and I'll send you my phone #'s

Jim Hinze
02-28-2006, 9:48 AM
Great pictures guys... My daughter had a blast -- as did I. It was great meeting all of you.

Steve Ash
02-28-2006, 4:58 PM
Garry

I'll take you up on that offer Garry, my brother lives in Rapid River so I get up your way several times a year.

John Bailey
02-28-2006, 7:16 PM
Sounds like a another "Creeker Gathering" in the works.

John

Pete Harbin
02-28-2006, 8:00 PM
Looks like everyone had a good time. The tour looks really interesting.

Pete

Garry Smith
03-01-2006, 8:27 AM
I'll take you up on that offer Garry, my brother lives in Rapid River so I get up your way several times a year.

I'll look forward to it Steve. Bring along a couple of creekers, the more the marrier.

Garry Smith
03-01-2006, 8:28 AM
Sounds like a another "Creeker Gathering" in the works.

John

I'm game John.