PDA

View Full Version : Big Maxx Mr. Heater

Sean Yennie
02-26-2006, 7:55 AM
I am thinking about purchaseing the Mr. Heater big maxx natural gas heater to heat my new workshop that i am building. I was woundering if any had it, and if so if that they like it or have any comments on it?:eek:

Gary Max
02-26-2006, 8:01 AM
I don't know anything about the heater but I like the name---hehehehe

Joe Pelonio
02-26-2006, 2:38 PM
If that's a big beige box it may be the same one a neighboring business put in to heat their warehouse. It's about the size of a 4 car garage (2 - 10" high rollup doors, room for two cars end-to-end each side). They hung it from the ceiling near one corner of the front and vented right through the concrete block wall, and as far as I know have not had problems, though we've just had some temperatures in the 15-20 range.

Dave Ray
02-26-2006, 3:43 PM
Sean, where did you find this Big Max Heater? I am looking for something similer.

Dave

Sean Yennie
02-26-2006, 8:44 PM
dave, after a couple hours of research in looking online for the best buy it seems that northern tool had the best buy even though that the price has gone up over $90 in the last 8 months. so ill probally buy it from www.northerntool.com (http://www.northerntool.com) along with their 24volt thermostat and vent kit

Frank Hagan
02-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Looks like a good choice for a garage heater. You can see the installation manual at http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newsletter/60016_mhu_hsu_45_75.pdf (that like opens a 538k PDF file). It can be vented through the sidewall up to 3', but pay attention to the requirements they list for doing so. Vertical venting is also supported.

Its an "induced draft" appliance, meaning it uses room air for the combustion process and a fan to help blow the flue products out through the vent pipe. That can cause a problem if you have any other gas burning appliances in the garage such as a water heater, boiler, etc. The fan blowing the flue products out can create a negative pressure situation in the room, and cause the water heater flue to spill into the garage.

It looks like a good product from the specifications. It uses a spark ignition system, which is more robust than a hot surface ignitor. And the instructions are clear and well written.

Dave Ray
02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks Sean and Frank. This heater looks like just what I am looking for. :rolleyes:

Sean Yennie
02-28-2006, 4:32 PM
dave, i just ordered my heater from northern tool 45,000 btu's online the price was $469.99, and and over the phone @ 1800-556-7885 and they quoted me a price for the same heater $369.99 so i would act fast. good luck