PDA

View Full Version : Tool bummer at amazon on Makita saw

Mike Priest
02-25-2006, 11:50 PM
I was looking forward to buying the Makita 10 inch slider (LS 1013) when the tax return came back. And it went up 80$ today !! I had it in my cart already and got a message that it had gone up. If the IRS would have been one day faster I would have bought it, but now I will have to wait for a better deal.

Even with the discounts its now 413$, yesterday it was 334$

Oh well, some days you are the bug, and some days you are the windshield

Bret Olmsted
02-26-2006, 12:26 AM
If the reverse had happened within 30 days of purchase, a simple email to Amazon and they will credit you the difference. My website allows you to enter items, and you will be emailed if the price drops. In your case, my website can be used to notify you if/when the price drops again.

Vaughn McMillan
02-26-2006, 1:59 AM
Hang tough, Mike. It'll likely go back on sale.

Cool site, Bret. I've bookmarked it. ;)

- Vaughn

scott spencer
02-26-2006, 9:11 AM
Amazon's pricing is like the weather in Rochester...if you're not happy with it just wait a while b/c it'll change soon enough. :rolleyes:

Bret Olmsted
02-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I attached the price and salesrank graphs I had for the Makita LS1013. Just yesterday it went up a lot.

The sales rank is interesting, when the price was real low, it sold a lot. The two graphs together show how price is a driver of sales.

Tim Marks
02-26-2006, 12:15 PM
where did you come up with those graphs? Interesting stuff..

Tyler Howell
02-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry Mike. But it's worth the wait.;)
Amazon is beginning to remind me of Sears only the price would go down after I bought:(.With no refunds.

Dan Owen
02-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I was all set to purchase a Porter Cable 7518 router for my table with a price of $289.99 and this was last Thursday. Went to make the transaction on Friday and the price had gone to $423.99. Ended up buying at Northwest Tools out of Spokane for $299.99.

Dan

Mike Priest
02-26-2006, 1:35 PM
I also bookmarked your website, and its keeping an eye on the Makita for me. It seems strange to me after looking at your graphs that the price would jump so much in one day. But its ok, I'll spend my money on something else, and wait for it to come back down.

/rant off

Bret Olmsted
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
My website for these graphs is not done; the following link should work for the miter saw (has not been fully tested!):

http://www.frozenwarrior.com/~pricewatch/item_detail.php?item=B0000223I3 (http://www.frozenwarrior.com/%7Epricewatch/item_detail.php?item=B0000223I3)

I am still working on getting out the bugs and gathering more data to display. Hope this helps.

Rob Wilson
02-27-2006, 1:59 AM
Notice that the price went up as the $20, $40, $80 "sale" came on. It will be interesting to see what happens to the price when the "sale" goes off.:rolleyes:

Tim Armstrong
02-27-2006, 2:13 AM
Don't let that tax money burn a hole in your pocket just yet. I'm sure Amazon will bring the price down again. I had a Jet disc sander on the wishlist and I saw that jump more than $50 today. I think Amazon does this kind of stuff when they predict volume will outpace the stock on hand. Sort of an inventory management tactic that adds margin for hot items becuase they know some people won't wait for it to go back down again. It also seems to me that prices go up more toward the end of the month - maybe that's just my imagination.

Christian Aufreiter
02-27-2006, 7:13 AM
I was looking forward to buying the Makita 10 inch slider (LS 1013) when the tax return came back. And it went up 80$ today !! I had it in my cart already and got a message that it had gone up. If the IRS would have been one day faster I would have bought it, but now I will have to wait for a better deal.

Even with the discounts its now 413$, yesterday it was 334$

Oh well, some days you are the bug, and some days you are the windshield

Sorry, Mike, that you didn't have the chance to buy the Makita SCMS at the lower price. But never mind, I paid almost EUR 700 for my LS 1013 - this was an excellent price - and still like the saw quite a bit.

Regards,

Christian