PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable miter saw -- lots of sawdust

Ellen Benkin
02-25-2006, 10:00 PM
I have a relatively new 10" PC compound miter saw with dual lasers. I like most of the features, but I have no idea what to do about the dust. The dust collection bag is a joke, and sticking my shop vac hose into the dust collection port seems to do nothing. I had to make many cuts today and ended up covered in sawdust. I really should to wear a mask when I use it. Might mine be defective? Any solutions, other than building a dust collection system just for it, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Per Swenson
02-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Hello Ellen,

What works and will take a little work ,is to hook a

a Big gulp on a stand or directly to your saw.

I have minre on a small tripod.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dbgulp.html

Hope this helps.

Per

Curt Harms
02-26-2006, 4:05 AM
Hi Ellen,

I don't know about the 10", but I have a 12" Delta dual laser. I just stick a Fein vacuum hose where the bag would otherwise attach and while it doesn't get everything, it gets 80% or more. Is something missing or not aligned on the "scoop" portion of the mechanism in back of the blade?

Curt

Jim Becker
02-26-2006, 11:15 AM
I get reasonably effective collection with a combination of the guard pickup and a downdraft system on my miter station (http://sawsndust.com/a-miterstation.htm). It's not perfect but gets a lot more "stuff" than it misses.

(Ellen, I just remembered that I own you dimensions from my sharpening cabinet. Sorry...I will really try to remember today if the girls are behaving well enough for me to get into the shop for a few minutes)

Ellen Benkin
02-26-2006, 2:42 PM
Using my Fein vac hose in the dust collection port is exactly what I tried to do, unsucessfuly. I'll check out the "scoop".

Ellen Benkin
02-26-2006, 2:43 PM
Gosh, and I thought a Big Gulp was a drinking cup from 7-11. This seems reasonably priced so I'll check into it.

Bill Fields
02-27-2006, 1:19 PM
Ellen; Not sure why, but all miter saws seem to share this problem to a greater or lesser extent.

Big Gulp is the simplest solution. It comes with an articulating arm for mounting, which you can either use or rig something else.

Bill

Bill Hartman
02-27-2006, 1:25 PM
Check the hood over the blade. On the back side there should be some slots or ports for the dust to go into. They might be blocked.