PDA

View Full Version : Festool RULES! (GLOAT)-Long

John Miliunas
08-01-2003, 8:48 PM
OK, instead of "blaming" Dennis Peacock for this one, I'm here to THANK him! Just received my brand new Festool ES125 sander. Whew! What an exquisite piece of machinery!!! Bob Marino, our resident Festool rep, went to very great lengths to give me information, additional tool reviews and constant updates. The man knew the machine was at my doorstep *before* I did!!! Oh, and I got one helluva' super deal on it, too! :D

So, what am I raving about? Nothing more than Dennis already has! I can only give his statements 110% support.:p The sander was packaged beautifully, as was all the extra sandpaper I ordered. I always used to feel that the carrying cases you got with tools were an after-thought, at best. Not here! I swear that they put damn-near as much engineering into it as they did the tool.

Ah, then there's the tool itself. What a piece of work! Being the true-blue, all-American male that I am, I carefully took all the paperwork, manuals, etc. and carefully placed them on an adjacent tool. :rolleyes: I then grabbed the sander and the power cord, hooked it in to the receptacle on the sander and powered it up. Can you say, "SMOOTH"???!!! Wow! Then it happened: LOML says, "Hey, aren't we going for fish like usual?" I almost said, "Well you know what you can do with....", but I refrained.

So, back from dinner, I try my Fein Mini-Turbo hose on the dust port; Hmph...A bit too big. A minute and about three wraps of some duck tape and I've got a nice, snug fit. OK, let's try this with some Birdseye. Fired up the vac, fired up the ES125 and went at it. Again I say unto you: "SMOOTH"!!! :D For those who read my original thread, part of the reason for this purchase is some problematic arthritis and mild carpal tunnel. I'm here to say that THIS tool will not contribute to either! I'm serious as a heart attack here. This piece is so nice to handle with virtually NO vibration, that it's almost hard to believe it's really *doing* anything! But don't let that fool you...It really IS doing something. AND, it's doing it so cleanly and dust-free, one does indeed have to do a close inspection to make sure it's working!

So, in the final analysis, I can't remember the last time I was so totally thrilled with a tool purchase, its performance and representation! :D As many before me have said, it's not the least expensive line of equipment around, but I sincerely believe if Festool makes the type of equipment you're looking for, I'd recommend stopping my search with them! I wasn't too sure if I could use it that much, but after checking out the quality and function of this piece, I'm thinking their jigsaw is next on my list! Thank you Bob Marino. :) Thank you Dennis Peacock ;) and, certainly not least, thank you to the folks at Festool for providing tools with the woodworker in mind! :) OK, I'm done now.... :cool:

Steve Clardy
08-01-2003, 8:57 PM
Sounds super John. Hope you will enjoy it. But-----------HOW ABOUT A PICTURE WITH YOU AT THE CONROLS DROOLING ON IT!!!!!!
LOL, Steve

John Miliunas
08-01-2003, 10:13 PM
Sounds super John. Hope you will enjoy it. But-----------HOW ABOUT A PICTURE WITH YOU AT THE CONROLS DROOLING ON IT!!!!!!
LOL, Steve

Thanks Steve! It IS super and I'm already enjoying it! BUT, a pic with ME???...at the controls? Gimme a break, wouldya'?! I just spent good money on a sander and would like to pick up their jigsaw, too. I do NOT want to be replacing a broken camera, too! :D

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-01-2003, 10:22 PM
So, John..........are ya gonna tell us how you REALLY feel about your new Sander? :D Congratulations.................that was the most heartfelt, sincere Gloat I have ever read. PLEASE, buy some more tools soon...............I like the play by play! :D

David Rose
08-02-2003, 8:17 PM
John,

That really messes up Dennis's record! We were doing sooo well at roasting him over nothing to do with him. Jeese! :D

Sure glad you finished when you did. I do NOT need another tool right now. But guess where I'll look when the old 333 decides to decease... I'm just not using it enough now to justify it.

Thanks for the report.

David

Jim Becker
08-02-2003, 8:50 PM
I heard a rumor that you were pleased...and from your post, it appears that rumor is quite true. Since I'm still vibrating from an hour-long PC-333 sanding session on some cabinet components the other night, I suppose that I'm going to have to get together with Mr. Bob to check one of those puppies out. :D

Peter Kuhlman
08-04-2003, 3:57 PM
I just ordered the 150/3EQ - awaiting its arrival. I already have the Rotex and wanted a fine finish unit. Just some info, Bob Marino sent me a sample sanding disk for the 125 and the 8 dust collection holes line up perfectly with the 8 hole Dewalt style disk. If you have left over 8-hole disks you could use them on the Festool but you probably should punch out the center hole for the best dust collection. The 5 hole Porter Cable disks do not line up at all. My experience with the Festool sandpaper is that it is very competitively priced and works extremely well. There seems to be virtually no savings available by purchasing sandpaper from any other sources so I recommend as many do to use the Festool paper. If you are using the Fein vacuums, I highly recommend purchasing the Festool 27mm by 11 or 16 foot hose. For around $35, you get a hose that fits perfectly on so many tools and fits the Fein port.
Pete

Jim DeLaney
08-04-2003, 6:50 PM
Just got home from ordering the 125EQ sander, and about 250 discs in various grits. Got the 20% off, sot paper and all were just slightly more than the list price of the sander alone.

For those of you in SoCal, Austin Hardwoods in Santa Ana is a Festool dealer, and they have the full line on display. Note: display only. You order the tools, and they're shipped directly from Festool to you. Austin does stock a lot of the abrasives, though.

Dave Hammelef
08-05-2003, 10:28 PM
I just ordered the 150/3EQ - awaiting its arrival. I already have the Rotex and wanted a fine finish unit.
Pete

Pete, Just wondering if you have a rotex what are your thoughts and why are you also ordeing a 150? Do you think you need a finer finish or justs want a lighter second sander?

Dave

Dennis Peacock
08-06-2003, 2:54 AM
Congrats John on your new ES125 sander. I could hardly tell that you were excited about your new sander.!!! :)

Believe it or not.....the ES150-5 is an even SMOOTHER running machine than the ES125.....The ES150 is a 6" sanders and it will EAT the wood in no time flat.!!!!

I figured out that an excellent combo for sanding rough to finsih is the ES150-5 sander to 120 or 150 grit and then use the ES125 with 180 or 220 grit paper.....what an excellent, smooth, clean surface with this progression!!!!! Spend less time sanding than before and with a couple of sanders that are at last a real JOY to use.!!!!

No more wrestling a ROS for me....Festool makes one FINE SANDER!!!!

John Miliunas
08-06-2003, 8:14 AM
Congrats John on your new ES125 sander. I could hardly tell that you were excited about your new sander.!!! :)

No more wrestling a ROS for me....Festool makes one FINE SANDER!!!!

Thanks! No, I wasn't at all excited. (heh, heh, heh!)

"...one fine sander!!!" Now if THAT isn't an understatement! :rolleyes: Glad you're enjoying your 150. I've purchased enough sanding tools lately. If I get the info I'm looking for from Bob, I think the Festool jigsaw is next on my agenda. Figured I might pick up a tool for *making* something, seeing as to how I've equipped myself pretty well for "finishing" something. Might end up having to "adjust" the statement of "Festool makes one FINE SANDER!!!!" to read: "Festool makes one fine *TOOL*!" :D :cool:

Christian Aufreiter
08-06-2003, 8:54 AM
"Festool makes one fine *TOOL*!"

Or as Bob and I tend to say:
"Festool's are *besttools*!"

The new Festool Trion jigsaw is absolutely great. I tried it at a woodworking show and was deeply impressed.

http://212.172.181.83/festool.au/cat_mediando/images/products/ps300eq_p3f_1.jpg

Bob will certainly inform you as soon as possible but if you're already interested in a first glance check the Festool Australia website (http://www.festool.com.au/)

Regards,

Christian

David Blangger
08-06-2003, 9:11 AM
John....I used to think all my tools were great (well at least adequate)

Now with John and the other salesmen at SMC errr I meam woodworkers :D
I find that my shop tools and my shop size is inadequate. :confused:

Seriously I am proud I found you guys! It gives me sooo much ammo for the LOML :D

David

John Miliunas
08-06-2003, 9:33 AM
John....I used to think all my tools were great (well at least adequate)

Yeah, don't I know it! I too have, what I think, is a pretty decent set of tools, but as of late, I find that my "justified" tool purchases are *duplicates* or "replacements* for stuff which is otherwise still useable! Ah, but the joy it brings to perform a specific function efficiently and/or with little or less pain AND to attain improved results. It also helps to know you've got GREAT Customer Service easily at hand. :) Oh, and yes, it certainly DOES help the purchase process when LOML can see AND feel the difference, as in the case of the ROS! :D As an aside, in a recent life, I did indeed do sales (retail) work, albeit not in the WW field. :cool:

Peter Kuhlman
08-08-2003, 10:11 AM
I purchased the Rotex as I needed to sand LOTS of mdf cabinets and there was quite a bit of material to be removed. These were speaker cabinets with angular sides that I had to oversize some of the sides due to not being able to true up the angled edges with a router. The Rotex worked great for this. My PC333 would have taken forever. The Rotex works very well but I have 2 quibbles that most would not really notice. It is heavy so is good for sanding without having to add additional pressure but a little harder for me to swing around compared to my PC333. Secondly, with the extended handle, I feel that I have to work to keep the sanding disk flat on the surface. This is really just a thought as the handle is heavy and wants to pull down that side. After a little use, you get used to it but it is something I am always thinking about. Please don't take these as real complaints. The dual rotary function of the sander really works. In rotary mode, you can remove material EXTREMELY fast - too fast on one cabinet :) . My reasons for the 150/3 purchase were - first, too much vibration with my PC333, and secondly I wanted a final fine finish sander. I am sure it is overkill and the Rotex would do it all but being a tool geek, I bought it. No complaints at all with the 150/3 and I get to use all the same disks with the Rotex. The 150/3 just will not do rough sanding any where near as fast as the Rotex.
Pete

Doug Jones
08-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Congrats on your sander. Now your looking into a jigsaw and even possibly a surface planer,,, man that winning lottery ticket must of paid off pretty well. Just funn'in, enjoy your toys,,,ooops, I mean tools.