PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia and Bubinga Vase

John Hart
02-25-2006, 7:29 PM
This piece was inspired by our own Keith Burns. Plus, he helped me in figuring out how to hollow and attach a different wood then provide a small opening. Thanks Keith!
This is Ambrosia Maple and Bubinga, 10" Tall and 5" in diameter. Sealed with Blonde Shellac, heavily cut with DNA...Then spray gloss lacquer...then a light buff.

I would appreciate any comments, negative or positive as I want to continue to improve with this type of work. Thanks much! :)

Andy Hoyt
02-25-2006, 7:33 PM
Oh Goody! I get to be the first to bash it!

Suhweet! Niceah! Numero Uno!

Bill Stevener
02-25-2006, 7:39 PM
I think it's time for you to start taking your work to art shows. ;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2006, 8:05 PM
That is awesome John. Beautiful work. I like.

Mark Cothren
02-25-2006, 8:06 PM
Looks good to me, John! Nice work!

Thanks for the pictures!

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 8:09 PM
I think it has it all, beautiful woods and contrast, nice shape and excellent finish. Great job!

Corey

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2006, 8:20 PM
Looks really nice John..!!!! Too bad you're so far from me, I'd like to see you do a HF like this. Very nice.

Cecil Arnold
02-25-2006, 8:37 PM
Nice John, I'm surprised at Andy not asking how much ice cream it will hold.

Bob Noles
02-25-2006, 8:42 PM
Looks really nice John..!!!! Too bad you're so far from me, I'd like to see you do a HF like this. Very nice.

Dennis,

Do you suppose it is time for John to do a video? You know..... like Bill G did :rolleyes: :D

Nice work John..... VERY NICE!

Andy Hoyt
02-25-2006, 8:48 PM
Nice John, I'm surprised at Andy not asking how much ice cream it will hold.
Sorry. Off my game - did up one bowl too many of Bordeaux Strawberry at supper.

Not to worry - Had a scoop (or more:p) of Tri Chocolate Delight and I'm all better.

Hey John ------------ Whazzup wit da flaveurs and scoopage factor on dat ting?

Jim Ketron
02-25-2006, 9:10 PM
Nice HF John, looks good to me bud!

Ernie Nyvall
02-25-2006, 9:11 PM
Real nice one John. Less than a year... you are certainly pulling away from the crowd with your work.

Ernie

John Hart
02-25-2006, 9:41 PM
.Hey John ------------ Whazzup wit da flaveurs and scoopage factor on dat ting?

Yer gonna need a straw....But it'll hold a great Coffee Shake....1 pint of Haagen Dazs Coffee, a little milk, and just a spot of cream:)

...Too bad you're so far from me, I'd like to see you do a HF like this....

Next time I'm in Mammoth Springs, I'll drive down. Can I use your new toy?:) :D (you know...if Mark's not using it:) )

....Do you suppose it is time for John to do a video?...

Thanks Bob but I think I'll keep my feet planted on the ground for now.;) :D

Thanks everyone....I really expected a thrashing. This piece was easier than a standard, small opening Hollowform. I was really surprised. Keith's method is straight forward and makes good sense. Thanks again.:)

Ernie Nyvall
02-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Keith's method is straight forward and makes good sense.

Okay then... let's have it... or is it a super secret.:) Just haaaaaaaad to make someone ask didn'tcha.:D

Ernie

Paul Douglass
02-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Wish I could think of something nasty to say about it but I can't. Just wish I could do that! Very nice.

Barry Stratton
02-25-2006, 10:47 PM
That is one nice vase. Change nothing with that design.

Now if you plan to also use it to hold Jack Daniels, I'd suggest making the neck a tad longer so you can get a better grip.........

Keith Burns
02-25-2006, 11:04 PM
John that looks ausome ! When I fist saw the photo my first thought was of a fine piece of pottery. Absolutely wonderful:) :) :)

Earl Eyre
02-26-2006, 1:39 AM
When I ask for a critique I really mean it...I would like ideas to improve my turning. So I really looked hard at this to try to find somthing to critque. It took awhile because it is a very nice turning. In fact you stole my idea as this is exactly what I was thinking of doing with some of that maple I bought.

The only very minor issue might be that you could make the opening rim just a little thinner. The vessel is so sleek looking...and the rim looks sort of like a jug rim. This is really nit picking. If it were mine I would be very proud and probably wouldn't want to change a thing.

Earl

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2006, 2:48 AM
Elegant is the feeling I get when I look at it! I like everything about it John! Excellent!

Michael Stafford
02-26-2006, 7:25 AM
John, a very nice piece. I am very fond of bubinga. It is one of my favorite woods to work with. I would assume you attached the bubinga top after you hollowed the inside by making sort of a mortise and tenon joint between the body of the vase and the neck piece?
Regardless, a nice piece of work!;)

John Hart
02-26-2006, 7:37 AM
I'm a little uncomfortable about giving away Keith's secrets. Navy training I guess. I have to leave the disclosure to him. ;)

Earl - Thanks for the suggestion. Like you, I would really like the make the next one thinner at the rim. To be honest, I was getting a little nervous toward the end of this turning because I was going without a steady-rest, so I backed off. Thats why it's so beefy. I'll be more gutsy on the next one today.

Thanks again everyone.:)

Travis Stinson
02-26-2006, 9:18 AM
I really like this one John. You're doing a wonderful job with your vases.:cool:

Jim Dunn
02-26-2006, 10:51 AM
"Little brown jug how I love thee" It's wonderful looking. All I can say is it needs XXX on the side.

Sorry I'm off my game too as I'm comming down with the crud. Shared a bowl of icecream with my granddaughter even though I new that everybody at her babysitters was sick.

Curt Fuller
02-26-2006, 2:39 PM
That's beautiful John!

Did you use Andy's "rub two sticks together until they become one" technique for joining the two woods endgrain?

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-26-2006, 3:50 PM
Well, John, I hate to do this to you, but .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................................I agree, it's simply beautiful.

Bruce

Dick Parr
02-26-2006, 6:20 PM
Wow, that is really great looking John. You did a great job on it.

Glenn Hodges
02-26-2006, 6:43 PM
The combining of tight fiting contrasting woods which look as if they grew together, stunning finish, and flawless lines make this a beautiful piece to behold.

Mike Ramsey
02-26-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm having a hard enough time doing one of those with only
one type of wood! Very good job John...

John Miliunas
02-27-2006, 8:31 AM
I'm a little uncomfortable about giving away Keith's secrets. Navy training I guess. I have to leave the disclosure to him. ;)

Thanks again everyone.:)

First of all, that's truly a magnificent piece, John! :) I honestly love it and don't think I'd change a thing on it.

Now, about the method used for the two woods: Come on, Keith!!! PLEASE!!!! Even a mini-tutorial would be way cool!!! :) Did I happen to say, "PLEASE!!!!"!:D :cool: