PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable RipTide Blade

CPeter James
02-25-2006, 6:42 PM
I bought one of these 80T 12" from a tool store that was closing. Was on sale for $29.00. Is this really as bad as it seems. I can't believe that PC would put out a product that is this terrible. Not only does it cut poorly, but it is not balanced. I put it on my Dewalt slider and it vibrates. The cut is like a 20T cheapie blade. The best I can use it for is dirty framing stock. What gives?

CPeter

scott spencer
02-25-2006, 7:58 PM
I've never tried the RipTide blade but found the PC Razor to have a pretty ragged cut....

Todd Davidson
02-25-2006, 9:45 PM
I don't know what gives with PC blades, router bits, or most of their other "disposables". Maybe Pentair thought that since just about everyone knew how bad their Oldham blades and Hickory router bits were they'd try their luck putting out something slightly different and equally inferior under the Porter Cable name. I'm sure it'll all get soooo much better now that Black and Decker are at the helm. :rolleyes:

Dave Falkenstein
02-25-2006, 11:59 PM
...The best I can use it for is dirty framing stock. What gives?

CPeter

The Rip Tide blade IS a framing blade. I buy them for a Porter Cable Saw Boss circular saw and toss them when they are dull.

Steve Clardy
02-26-2006, 12:43 PM
For a decent miter saw blade for woodworking, not framing, you'll have to spend 60 to 100 dollars for one.

Julio Navarro
02-26-2006, 5:35 PM
I just got one too and it does vibrate alot. I dont think I like that. Will be returning it to HD tomorrow.

I went and got a Craftsman 60t blade.

Aaron Kline
02-27-2006, 7:18 PM
UHHH.........the porter cable razor blade 10" 50 tooth is one of the worst things ever. A cheap made in china 32 tooth blade cut the same(sometimes better) as that thing. Just put the money out upfront. I got a mid grade freud blade and it is much better.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-27-2006, 7:55 PM
Am I the only one amused by the fact that a blade with 80 teeth has "Rip" in the name? And why in the heck would you need 80 teeth to do "framing"? I guess they'll be coming out with a 20 tooth fine cut-off blade to match!

CPeter James
02-27-2006, 10:02 PM
I normally have a Ridge Carbide 80T $125 blade on my slider. I just thought this would be good for rough work, little did I know how rough!!

CPeter