PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd, 3rd and 4th Attempts......

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 5:29 PM
Well today I made the pen, pencil and letter opener set to go in the walnut box I made and posted over in flatland. The pens and letter opener were made from Wieshapl walnut! Thanks Bernie! I turned these with a little bulge in the instead of a straight pen, but I didn't get the profile matched between the two very well. Definitely need to get a set of calipers. I did however get them turned down to the bushings better this time.
Thanks,
Corey
Here is the link to the box thread:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30806

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2006, 5:53 PM
Corey......with each project I see your skills improving with that lathe! Keep on it!

Bob Noles
02-25-2006, 6:02 PM
Corey,

Your looking good my man.... real good. That wood is some good looking stuff.

You using the skew chisel on these or a spindle gouge? What about your finishing process.

We want details man..... don't leave us hanging like this :p

Keith Christopher
02-25-2006, 6:05 PM
I'd change the title to SUCCESSES not ATTEMPTS !!!!! looking good !

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 6:11 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Bob, I use that big old 7/8 roughing gouge and turn to round then the skew takes over. I like the skew. Used a skew to make the round do-dads on the letter opener as well. I sanded to 600 grit, burnished with walnut dowel, applied shellwax, burnished again and one more shot of shellwax. Gives a nice silky smooth finish.
Thanks!
Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-25-2006, 6:22 PM
Good lookin' Cory.

I hope you don't mind, but looking at the picture of the three pieces in the box, the bottom piece showed either tool or sanding marks. To help get rid of them on future pieces, stop the lathe and sand WITH the grain. Then you won't get those band marks.

Keep it up. Each project is better than the last.

Bruce

David Fried
02-25-2006, 6:33 PM
Corey,

Now that the pen, pencil, dagger, and box are done, I suppose you'll need my shipping address. :D

They look really nice and the box definately makes it a set.
I do like the shape of the handle on the letter opener.

Dave Fried

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 6:35 PM
Bruce, your right there is a mark on the one. I sand lengthwise after each grit, however, I missed seeing that mark until I had already burnished and shellwaxed it. Just didn't see it. Really looked hard on the next one though :) Bruce I certainly don't mind and thanks for the suggestion.

Corey

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2006, 7:13 PM
Looks good Corey!!!! You doing real good. Keep it up.

Ernie Nyvall
02-25-2006, 7:13 PM

That's just what I was thinking!! Nice job on the box too Corey... even though it aint round.:D

Ernie

Bill Stevener
02-25-2006, 7:22 PM
Hi Corey,
For some of your first turnings, they are quite nice. Some don't achieve that caliber until they have turned a dozen or more and yet others just never get it.

When one is first learning to turn, even though an experienced wood worker, most of the time evidence of fine sanding marks is not from the lack of knowledge in the finishing process, they emerge from the overwhelming desire to place the turning up front and say "I made that.":D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-25-2006, 7:33 PM
...For some of your first turnings, they are quite nice. Some don't achieve that caliber until they have turned a dozen or more and yet others just never get it.....

Yep...that's me!!! Took me about 20 before I got mine looking decent. Corey...Those are great man!! Yer rockin'!!!:)

Steve Clardy
02-25-2006, 7:36 PM
Real nice Corey!!

Chris Barton
02-25-2006, 7:38 PM
Very handsomely made there Corey!

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2006, 8:11 PM
Corey you are rocking and rolling now. They look good in the box. That is some good looking wood to. Nice finish.

Mark Cothren
02-25-2006, 8:11 PM
Very snazzy, Corey! That is some slick work!

Thanks for the pictures!

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 8:18 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
Corey

Andy Hoyt
02-25-2006, 8:59 PM
Lookin' good there, Corey. Some mighty fine penmanship taking place at the crossroads.

Got a (get this) serious question for everybody: Does a really spiffy pen or pencil - like these - improve your handwriting or spelling?

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 10:21 PM
Andy, know I dunt thnk soh. Et least nut fer meh. And thanks for the kind words.

Corey

John Miliunas
02-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Corey, very nice lookin' set! Like anything else, perfection will come with a bit more practice and experience. You're well on your way!!! :) :cool:

Keith Burns
02-25-2006, 11:09 PM

Corey, I couldn't say it any better if my name was Keith:) :)

Dick Parr
02-26-2006, 6:26 PM
Great job on all of them Corey!

Jim Ketron
02-26-2006, 6:44 PM
Looking good Corey!
Nice set!

Joe Tonich
02-26-2006, 8:26 PM
I like the skew.
Corey

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Well done!! :D

Joe

Mike Ramsey
02-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Good looking pens Corey! Very nice work..

Barry Stratton
02-27-2006, 2:39 AM
Outstanding job, sir! Those look great inside that wonderful box.