PDA

View Full Version : Help! - Wood Movement Question

Jon Farley
02-25-2006, 4:47 PM
I recently volunteered to make a new free-standing altar (really just a fancy table) for our church sanctuary. I have designed it to match the wall-affixed altar that is already there and will remain. Now that I have the design ready to go I have begun thinking about the actual construction and I'm wondering what to do about a potential wood movement-related problem. The new altar will have a top made from 3 pieces of edge-glued red oak, each about 7.5" wide and 3/4" thick.

Now here's what I'm worried about: The the table top is to have a separate thumbnail-type molding around all the edges. The sides are not a problem, but attaching this molding to the end grain of the table top is. Any contraction/expansion with the table top could cause problems, not the least of which would be pushing apart the mitered corners. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks...Jon

tod evans
02-25-2006, 4:53 PM
jon, simply rout the profile into the top itself, don`t try to apply it...02 tod

Dave Fifield
02-25-2006, 5:46 PM
Or, you could route a sliding dovetail into the rear of the moulding and float it on the ends of the alter top. You'll probably want to forget about mitering the corners though....

Jon Farley
02-25-2006, 5:46 PM
jon, simply rout the profile into the top itself, don`t try to apply it...02 tod

Yes, that is a simple fix and I thought of it, but I want it to be consistent with the present alter, which does have a separate molding, and which does, in a way, look nicer as it covers up the end grain of the table top with the long grain of the molding.

Jon Farley
02-25-2006, 5:53 PM
Or, you could route a sliding dovetail into the rear of the moulding and float it on the ends of the alter top.

This is something I have considered. Would a simple tongue and groove work, too?

I am still concerned about the miters being pushed apart. It seems as though this would happen regardless of a sliding dovetail.

And, if I did someting like this would I have to let some sort of a small gap in beween the perimeter of the table top and molding to allow for expansion without breaking apart the miters? Just thinking out loud. Thanks...Jon

Jon Farley
02-25-2006, 5:59 PM
Here is a picture of the corner of the present altar to illustrate what I am trying to duplicate. Though it really doesn't change anything about the nature of my question, I'll just note that the one I'm building is an eight-sided table, so I won't be working with 90 degree corners.

tod evans
02-25-2006, 6:06 PM
jon, if you`re doing an octagon you really should consider using a veneered panel for the field.....02 tod

Steve Clardy
02-25-2006, 6:43 PM
Is the present one really a solid wood top? Or a veener top?
Might pay to look underneath.
I wouldn't apply trim to end grain. It's going to move, breaking the joints more than likely.