PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Capacitor Fix

Keith Beck
02-25-2006, 4:43 PM
Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I really enjoy reading the forums and continue to be amazed at some of the outstanding artisans on here. Now I'm hoping some of you folks can help me out.

I have a Jet 12" BS with what I think is a bad capacitor. When I turn on the saw, it just hums until I give the wheel a spin with my hand and then it runs fine. Based on the research I've done, I believe this is a capacitor issue. Has anyone else ever had this problem and am I correct in my diagnosis?

If it is the capacitor, is it something I can fix myself? I believe the capacitor is the small box that's on top of the motor, is that right?

I can order a capacitor from Jet's website for less than $12, but the shipping is more than the capacitor itself. Is there somewhere else I can get one?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Keith

Steve Clardy
02-25-2006, 4:52 PM
Hi keith. Welcome to the creek!
Before you order the capacitor, blow out the centrifugal switch on the end of the motor. If it won't open, motor will hum.
Switch has light grease on it, and collects dust, grim over time, and sticks.

John Anderson
02-25-2006, 4:57 PM
Keith, check your yellow pages for electric motor repair in the area, and take the motor to them. I see you are from Va. Beach, there is a Dewalt repair shop on North Hampton (brother has condo at Lynhaven), they may be able to lead you to someone if they cannot fix it themselves. It sounds like a capacitor, but could be something else. There's a magnetic/electronic switch in most capacitor motors that has two springs. One or both of these may be broken. My saw did the same thing, and it was the springs.

Either fix should not be expensive. I found out (the hard way), it's best to go ahead and pay the service charge and have it fixed correctly and the first time.

Hope this helps...

tod evans
02-25-2006, 4:57 PM
welcome keith! steve`s got ya covered.......if on the rare chance it`s not the switch try a local hvac house but be sure to know how many mfd`s your unit is rated at....02 tod

Keith Beck
02-25-2006, 5:50 PM
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll take a look at the centrifugal switch.

Here's another question for you. I have a Timberwolf blade on my bandsaw and I used the "flutter" method of tensioning the blade. However, it seems that my cuts are very rough, almost serrated. I don't recall ever having this rough of a cut with any other bandsaw or blade that I've used. In fact, I don't remember the cut being that rough when I first put the blade on. Is there something I need to adjust (tension too high or too low) or is that normal?

Keith

Steve Clardy
02-25-2006, 6:12 PM
Wonder if maybe it has a tooth out of set?
Might give it a tad more tension to see what happens.

Jeff Horton
02-25-2006, 6:52 PM
Sounds like a capacitor to me too. I had a motor do that in a lift and that is exactly how it acted. Replacing a capacitor is simple. Just make sure it has been off for a while. Capacitors store electricty like a battery. Can give you a nasty shock! But it is a simple repair. Take the old one with you to your local hardware store and they probably have one.

Bill Turpin
02-26-2006, 7:14 PM
Start capacitors (black, round, plastic) over heat, boil their salt solution and blow out the rosin plug in the end between the terminals. Run caps (grey, oval, metal) overheat their oil and swell up. They are no longer bi-lateral symetrical.
A cap that will still bite you is not usually defective. Cap over heating is caused by defective start switches, bad bearings, excessive frequency of starts, etc. Be sure you fix the cause, not just the symptoms.

Bill in WNC mountains

Jeffrey Makiel
02-26-2006, 7:30 PM
Is there something I need to adjust (tension too high or too low) or is that normal?
Keith,
The flutter method never works for me. It always seem I need more tension that a "quarter turn more". It's more like one-half to one turn more.
-Jeff

Randy Meijer
02-28-2006, 5:57 AM
.....I can order a capacitor from Jet's website for less than $12, but the shipping is more than the capacitor itself. Is there somewhere else I can get one?

You should be able to get one locally; but, if not, email JET and complain about their shipping. A while ago they wanted to charge me $19.95 shipping on a $1.95 item. I complained and they came down quite a bit although still above what I thought was reasonable. Luckily, I found the item locally .......for $1.95!!!:rolleyes: