PDA

View Full Version : Question about Compressors

John Kain
02-25-2006, 2:56 PM
I'm looking into air compressors to match a HVLP Wagner gun. Going to use it mostly for finishing furniture projects. How big of a compressor do I need to give me average uninterupted spray performance? 4 gallon? 10 gallon? 20 gallon?

Thanks in advance.

tod evans
02-25-2006, 3:12 PM
I'm looking into air compressors to match a HVLP Wagner gun. Going to use it mostly for finishing furniture projects. How big of a compressor do I need to give me average uninterupted spray performance? 4 gallon? 10 gallon? 20 gallon?

Thanks in advance.

john, the volume of the tank has very little to do with a compressors ability to deliver air. the two major componants of a compressor are the pump and the motor. the tank is only a tank and should be of little or no consequence when choosing a compressor. pumps are available in single-stage,(up to 120lbs) or two stage,(up to 250lbs) of pressure. the amount of air the pump can move is relative to the size of the piston(s) and the motor horsepower........i may be going into more than you want? if you want more info..ask...02 tod

John Kain
02-25-2006, 3:17 PM
I guess my quesiton is this.......

Can I get by with a 2HP - 4 gallon tank (4.2 cfm at 40psi) for general purpose HVLP finishing? (using Target USL, etc)

tod evans
02-25-2006, 3:23 PM
I guess my quesiton is this.......

Can I get by with a 2HP - 4 gallon tank (4.2 cfm at 40psi) for general purpose HVLP finishing? (using Target USL, etc)

maybe.......but not for long...the pump will be killing itself and you`re going to have lots of moisture issues.....02 tod

Jim Becker
02-25-2006, 3:31 PM
Spraying finishes is best served by a "big tank" compressor...the more tank, the better. If you must due to budget/space/portability, 20-30 gallon will work fine. A 60 gallon unit (not much more money, frankly...) is the better choice in the long run. I did use my first Wagner gun with a 20 gallon compressor and it sprayed acceptably, but the compressor ran almost constantly. (The more it runs, the larger the moisture filtering, job, too...)

tod evans
02-25-2006, 3:48 PM
john, here is a unit that is portable that should serve you well, it used to be made in the usa untill dewalt bought the emglo name. now i don`t know where it`s made??? but this style has run countless jobs across the country....02 tod

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=4810

Charlie Plesums
02-25-2006, 8:12 PM
My compressor is rated at 5.1 SCFM at 90 psi, and has a 13 gallon tank. I do a lot of spraying with the Porter Cable HVLP conversion gun. The tank allows you to draw more than the compressor produces - for short periods, then the compressor catches up by refilling the tank.

When I started using the gun, I could get ahead of the compressor...the air pressure would drop, and I would have to rest while the compressor caught up. As I refined the settings on the gun, and improved my furniture finishing technique, I now rarely outrun the compressor, but it does have to work hard to keep up with me.

I know that I am beating the dickens out of the compressor when I spray - when it dies (not if it dies) I will have to decide between a larger compressor or go to a true HVLP system with a turbine.

John Kain
02-25-2006, 8:13 PM
Well, I just bit the bullet and purchased a Porter-Cable 17 gallon/4.5HP/135 PSI unit. It should meet my needs; especially at the price I got it at......:D

Specs: 8.0 at 40psi 5.7 at 90psi

Jay T. Marlin
02-25-2006, 8:59 PM
That compressor is at the borderline for HVLP. I'd recommend getting a reduced pressure gun (RP). It uses a lot less air than HVLP but has the same low overspray benefits. In many cases, it seems to atomize finishes better as well.

tod evans
02-26-2006, 7:53 AM
john, before you start spraying you must address the moisture issue and the little plastic bowl seperators are not the answer. probably the most cost effective approach is using two filters made by motor guard, first is the "toilet-paper" style that is placed at the compressor, second are their "pumpkin" style disposable at the gun filter. most paint stores carry these `cause they work.....02 tod

John Kain
02-28-2006, 10:36 AM
john, before you start spraying you must address the moisture issue and the little plastic bowl seperators are not the answer. probably the most cost effective approach is using two filters made by motor guard, first is the "toilet-paper" style that is placed at the compressor, second are their "pumpkin" style disposable at the gun filter. most paint stores carry these `cause they work.....02 tod

Sorry for my ignorance..............but what are they and where do I get them? Thanx in advance.

Geoff Harris
02-28-2006, 11:01 AM
I found this article a while back and think it answers many of the questions you asked.

http://www.kmstools.com/main.php?scripts/products/cat.php?3

It's the Compressor Buying Guide link.

Geoff.

tod evans
02-28-2006, 11:42 AM
usually the local paint supply house is the best place here`s a link..02 tod

http://www.motorguard.com/air_2.html