PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get your block stock?

John Hulett
02-25-2006, 2:16 AM
I had run across a book on bansaw boxes, then there was a plan for a bandsaw box in one of my magazines (either PW or WJ - I can't remember which). I'm not seeing any sources for that kind of "bowl blank" type blocks for BS boxes?

- John

Vaughn McMillan
02-25-2006, 2:28 AM
John, I've seen that type of block stock at Rockler. You can go to http://www.rockler.com/retail/display_region.cfm?state=CA see if there's a store close to you. Keep in mind a lot of bandsaw boxes are made from glued-up stock, too. (Although I like the idea of a solid piece of wood, myself.)

- Vaughn

Lee DeRaud
02-25-2006, 10:17 AM
John, I've seen that type of block stock at Rockler.Hmmm....I always thought the blocks I see at Rockler were indeed bowl blanks (i.e. wet wood): seems like they're always covered with that waxey stuff.

Jim Becker
02-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Hmmm....I always thought the blocks I see at Rockler were indeed bowl blanks (i.e. wet wood): seems like they're always covered with that waxey stuff.

A lot of turning stock will be somewhat wet....KD 12/4 stock is probably better for boxes if you don't want those tell-tale glue-up lines. A lot of folks do do glue-ups for boxes it seems, however, as 12/4 stock is somewhat expensive and harder to source.

Charles McKinley
02-25-2006, 11:36 PM
The reason the book gives for using glued blocks for the box is to keep it from cracking after you saw it. It is going to be hard to get the piece evenly dry especially when you cut out the drawers.

Has anyone here tried using solid stock for their boxes? I did the glue up for my one and only box.

Vaughn McMillan
02-26-2006, 3:06 AM
My local Rockler has a lot of wax-coated turning blanks (and I hadn't really thought about the moisture content aspect), but I've also bought some dried blocks of butternut there. I have a BS box (of sorts) in progress made from one of them. Were they perhaps carving blocks as opposed to turning blanks?

- Vaughn

Phil Winn
02-26-2006, 3:32 AM
I have sawn 20 plus solid band-saw boxes...and have always been able to<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
find almost "dry" wood, let it dry some more, and then band-saw dry blocks. It is very difficult and expensive to find blocks of wood which is 5"+ thick, 8"+ wide, 8"+ long and larger. In Bubinga, Ebony, Bocote, Camphor Burl, Maple Burl, these blocks of wood in figured materials are very expensive usually $50.00+.....in the Boston and Southern CA areas. Woodcraft usually has turning woods which are wet, but sometimes they have dry woods. Gilmer Woods has "drier" blocks which need only a few months to dry "completely". Since these woods are so expensive, if you are careful with your design and cuts, you can minimize wasted wood. Have fun and good luck!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Phil Winn<o:p></o:p>

Lee DeRaud
02-26-2006, 10:14 AM
My local Rockler has a lot of wax-coated turning blanks (and I hadn't really thought about the moisture content aspect), but I've also bought some dried blocks of butternut there. I have a BS box (of sorts) in progress made from one of them. Were they perhaps carving blocks as opposed to turning blanks?(smacks forehead) Come to think of it...yeah, maybe. But the only carving blocks I've seen at my Rockler appeared to be basswood, not exactly the prime candidate for bandsaw boxes.