PDA

View Full Version : Just Completed Arts & Crafts Style Coffee Table & End Tables

Brad Kimbrell
02-25-2006, 1:48 AM
I am new to this forum and sure do like the flavor of most everything that I've read and seen so far. I'm certain that I can learn a lot from many of you fellows in the future.

I am still very much in the learning phase but have began to build a few custom items on commission. Here is my latest paying project. A coffee table and 2 matchine end tables in Ambrosia Maple.

I would welcome your comments / criticisms / etc.

Nice to be here. :D

Vaughn McMillan
02-25-2006, 2:20 AM
First off, welcome to the Creek, Brad. As you've already noticed, it's a pretty good group of folks.

Great job on the tables. I like the breadboard ends. What finish did you use? Any interesting construction details to mention? Inquiring (and learning) minds want to know. ;)

Thanks for posting -

- Vaughn

Chris Padilla
02-25-2006, 3:20 AM
Welcome, Brad...heckuva nice job on that table!

Alan Turner
02-25-2006, 4:34 AM
Welcome to SMC.

Brad Kimbrell
02-25-2006, 5:04 PM
Vaughn,

Thanks for the welcome and the kind words.

Construction notes:

Legs :eek: - I only had to make 5...planned on and succeeded in cutting one of the compound cuts in the wrong direction! They are 10 degrees tilted from side to side and 6 degrees from end to end. Those mortises were my first run at cutting angeld tenons and shoulders. I'll have to admit that the width changed about 1/4" after cutting those shoulders about 3 times to get them perfect (or eye-perfect).
Breadboard ends - I followed Andy Rae's "Furniture & Cabinet Construction" notes and used a tenon with 3 "fingers" that stood out by about 1/2" over the already 1/2" tenon. Also glued only the center, doweled each end from the bottom into an oblong hole to allow for movement and left the breadboard end 1/8" proud so the width of the table never overhangs the length of the end cap.
Finish - I used about 4 applications of Watco Oak tinted oil and 7 coats of lacquer sprayed about 1 hour apart. Of course, sanding to 220 grit between coats and final wet sanding to 320 grit on the last coat. Then Briwax paste wax hand rubbed for the finale. They are in Florida in a beach home now and I have asked my customer to send pictures in about a year to see if any movement has occured.Here are a few in-construction pics that show some of the details:

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-25-2006, 6:28 PM
Welcome aboard.

Good Lookin' stuff there.

Bruce

Ken Shoemaker
02-25-2006, 6:39 PM
Real nice work, Brad!!! Glad to have you here and looking to seeing more of your work.

Corey Hallagan
02-25-2006, 6:47 PM
Excellent, they look great! Welcome to SMC!

Corey

Steve Clardy
02-25-2006, 7:44 PM
Looks nice Brad! And, welcome to the creek

Cecil Arnold
02-25-2006, 8:41 PM
Welcome to the creek Brad. I'm sure the family will value the tables for a long time.

Jason Tuinstra
02-25-2006, 9:37 PM
Brad, welcome! What a start - two great projects. They turned out wonderful. Glad to have you here.