PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox Band Saw

Robert Reihsen
02-24-2006, 11:52 PM
I recently joined the Sawmill Forum and posted a question that asked about the success members had with their Ridgid and Grizzly tools (bandsaw, jointer, planer). I got plenty of great opinions on both brands and some others. What a great forum!.
Anyway, after all that, I ended up buying a Model W1706 Shop Fox band saw from a local dealer just a few blocks away. One of the members here, Vaughn, mention he purchased one and is very pleased with it. It sure was nice being able to see and tinker the saw before the purchase. (I bought a floor model.)
I'm not sure how to react to the saw. It's quiet while running. I see the blade running, but all I hear is the hum of the motor. Is that right? Is it supposed to be like that? I'm so used to the screetching and howling of my Shopsmith bandsaw, that I had to run some green 4X4 Douglas Fir through it just to make sure it was working. Sure enough, it manages to run (and cut) without sounding like a screaming banshee. I guess the only thing I'll have to worry about now is to be sure and remember to hit the off switch when I'm done with a cut, since there is really no relief to the aural senses, as there was by turning down the Shopsmith.
Thanks again for all the input

Cecil Arnold
02-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Robert welcome to the creek, and when you turn your new band saw off remember to detension the blade. Isn't this a great place.

Robert Reihsen
02-25-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks. I just ran back to the garage to detension the blade.
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Robert welcome to SMC and congrats on the new saw. Enjoy and make some sawdust.

Robert Reihsen
02-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Thanks Bernie

Vaughn McMillan
02-25-2006, 1:40 AM
Robert, glad to see you took the plunge. Wait till you run a good blade on it. ;) I was also impressed with how quiet the Shop Fox was. Like you, my previous benchtop bandsaw was a screamer, and the old 12 incher I had years ago sounded like a train going down the tracks.

One serious word of warning...watch that quiet blade after you've turned the saw off. More than once, I've thought it was stopped, and started to reach way too close before realizing it was still moving. And fast. I often take a piece of scrap and use it as a gentle brake after turning off the saw. That way I'm consciously aware that the blade has stopped moving.

I also took a little 3" x 4" piece of plywood and made a two-sided sign...one side says Tension Saw and the other says De-tention Saw. I leave the sign sitting in front of the blade when appropriate, especially when I'm done for the night. Before the sign, I fired the saw up with the blade loose more than once. :o

Have fun, be safe, and welcome to Shop Fox...the OTHER White Meat. :p

- Vaughn

(No affiliation, just in case anyone is wondering. I've been a professional shill in the past, and if I was here, you wouldn't know it. :cool: )

Robert Reihsen
02-25-2006, 9:34 AM
Hi Vaughn. Thanks for the tensioning advise. Sounds like a real good idea. I watched the saw spin down after turning it off, and I agree, it takes a real long time. Must be the cast iron wheels. Sure runs smooth with that flywheel effect. Thanks again.
Bob

Curt Harms
02-25-2006, 9:47 AM
It makes You appreciate the good ones;)

Curt