PDA

View Full Version : A Great Little Exercise in Spindle Turning

Bill Stevener
02-24-2006, 7:51 PM
Hi Gang,

Just thought I would post some photos of a Rolling Pin. We don't see them very often. Well I guess that depends.:eek:
For those that are looking for a spindle project or just boning up, this is a great project to keep one in tune.
It was posted in the 2004 spring issue of "Woodturning Design", however other sources are often found as well.

The body is a laminated glue up of Red Oak, Cherry, Ash and Walnut. When dry, is cut on a bias and re glued back to back.
The body is 13" long by 2-5/8" in diameter. the handles are 5" including the dowel cap.

Included in the photos is a sketch from my plan binder, that may help with some of the dimensions. The dowel goes through the Handel and is glued into the body allowing the handles to rotate.

Great turning to try.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Corey Hallagan
02-24-2006, 7:52 PM
Thats cool, that is something I could make my father-in-law the family baker! He would love that. Nice work Bill and thanks for the photos!

Corey

John Hart
02-24-2006, 7:57 PM
Very pretty Bill! I'd have a heck of a time making it straight. How you do dat?:)

Bill Stevener
02-24-2006, 8:02 PM
Very pretty Bill! I'd have a heck of a time making it straight. How you do dat?:)

Guess it's like making a real big pen John.:confused:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-24-2006, 8:09 PM
Guess it's like making a real big pen John.:confused:

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Oh great. I couldn't make a straight pen to save my life!:o :D

Glenn Hodges
02-24-2006, 8:12 PM
I really like it.

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2006, 8:18 PM
You do big? That must have felt weird.

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2006, 8:36 PM
Bill that looks great. Love the wood. I would make one but I am afraid my wife would use it on me.:D

David Fried
02-24-2006, 8:41 PM
You do big? That must have felt weird.

I'm sure the measurements in the diagram are millimeters not inches!

Looks great! Most of the rolling pins I've seen have just been cylinders.
a few had handles but not ones that spun. Even the store bought one I have with handles is one piece. This one is great! I just might have to steal a page from your plan book. Thanks for sharing.

With something like this, do you need to be concerned about using a food save finish?

Dave Fried

Ernie Nyvall
02-24-2006, 8:49 PM
That's a good one Bill. Real pretty.

I did one a while back out of solid maple. It took a while to get all the little gaps out:o

Ernie

Keith Burns
02-24-2006, 9:07 PM
Very nice Bill.:) :) Nice details on the handles and the fact that it spins makes it , well, very spinny:D

Bill Stevener
02-24-2006, 9:10 PM

With something like this, do you need to be concerned about using a food save finish?

Dave Fried

Hi Dave, I use Butcher Block Oil. Very food safe, also use it on cutting boards.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dale Thompson
02-24-2006, 9:29 PM
Bill that looks great. Love the wood. I would make one but I am afraid my wife would use it on me.:D

Bernie,
I certainly agree with you on the evaluation but I share your concern contained in the last sentence. :) Does our fear result from a guilty conscience or is it just our pre-destined fate to be beaten? :confused: ;) :)

Dale T.

Pat Salter
02-24-2006, 10:01 PM
Is that flat work I see holding those up????:rolleyes: Never mind. Nice job. Should make some nice pie crust.

Mike Ramsey
02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Bill, I really enjoy seeing your work! I've made a couple of pins
but they didn't have rolling handles or segments. Beautiful pin!

Jim Dunn
02-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Real nice Bill. I'd make one too but for it to be used I have to take to the resturant we visit. Ain't no bakin in this house.

Chris Barton
02-25-2006, 8:43 AM
That looks great Bill! A super project!

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2006, 9:20 AM
Beautiful spindle project! Thanks for posting.