PDA

View Full Version : Visit to Carvewright (long w/pics)

Cecil Arnold
02-24-2006, 5:19 PM
I was interested in this handy little gadget long before the thread first showed up here a week or so ago. I had thought that having your own miniature CNC router for small work would be something to consider for enhancing small boxes and such, so I kept them in the back of the gray matter until the thread started.

Today I contacted Carvewright and asked if it would be okay to stop by for a closer look. When I arrived I was introduced to Chris Lovchik, Pres. & CEO of LHR Technologies. Chris is a carver, among other things, along with a background of working in the NASA robotics group. LHR appears to be a start-up that has some innovative woodworking ideas. They currently manufacturer a quick change router chuck that fits PC routers and is also adapted to the Carvewright machine. I think the question on everyone's mind is: is it as good as a hand carved piece. No, but so close you would have to be a reasonable accomplished woodworker to know the difference. While I was there, Chris took the time to do a demonstration for me. He produced a design, sized it, added an overlay to make the design more intricate, adjusted the depth of cut, saved the design to a memory card, and cut it in a piece of pine.

As I said this is a start-up and they currently have over 100 units in the field. One thing I saw was units being readied for delivery. They all had check lists attached and were being bench tested. Chris told me that they were insuring that any minor problems users discovered in the field were being addressed before the new units were sent out. He appears to want satisfied customers and to insure good customer service. I was told that of the delivered units there have not been any major problems and that everyone seemed happy with their units. Most problems have been handled over the phone.

I also saw one of the new features that is in testing. It is a scan probe that is mounted in the router head and will scan a pattern held on the work table. The piece being scanned was a Christmas angle ornament. For the technically minded, minimum stock is 1/4", although there are work arounds for that. Maximum is 5 1/2" and width is 14 1/2". The length is limited by weight, as the unit is set to move 20 lbs, so boards up to 8' would be possible. It appears that with the scan probe it would be possible to copy moldings that are no longer in production. Someone like Alen Turner might be able to do clamshells and clean them up by hand if needed. My feeling is that the usefulness of the machine is only limited by the physical size of the piece and the woodworker's imagination.

The first two pictures are an Anrondac chair made with the CW. The machines being checked. Two pics of work in the office.

Cecil Arnold
02-24-2006, 5:23 PM
More pics of output, these are some backroom experiments. The machine at rest. The LED panel that leads you through start up. The machine working. And finally the output.

I do not work for Carvewright, nor am I being compensated in any way for my favorable opinion.

Vaughn McMillan
02-24-2006, 5:35 PM
Thanks for the quick review, Cecil. Definitely an interesting machine, and if I was in the business of selling wood stuff, I'd seriously be looking at invseting in it or something similar.

- Vaughn

Jim Hager
02-24-2006, 6:13 PM
Cecil, from what you saw there are you personally sold on the unit?? I have a bunch of questions that I could ask for sure but I will only ask a couple to keep from taking up your time. How many router bit changes are necessary in a typical carving??? Did the machine hold the material in place as it should or was there some unwanted movement of the material being machined??

Thanks in advance for your input and thanks for going to look at the machine.

Cecil Arnold
02-24-2006, 6:35 PM
Jim, I think I want one, price is the major hold up as I retired a year or so ago. The carving I observed being done used a single bit. It was, as I recall, a 1/16" "V" shaped, solid carbide bit. We took a 1/8" bit out and I don't know what the machine had been doing to require that. Material is held in place on the left (index) side of the carriage by a sliding "fence" that is lockable. The "fence" is not snugged but should be a sliding fit. One thing I was warned about was using stock that is not square, since it can cause the unit to lock up in feeding. The top rollers hold the material down between the fence and side index, and there is a small toothed brass wheel that feeds the stock through the machine. While the test piece I observed did not require bit changes, the program will stop the machine and prompt you to change bits if required. Another thing that was stressed is that (obviously) you must have the correct bit in when you start and the machine will prompt you to insure this.

Other things I left our: the processor is a Motorola 68000 series, the software uses raster graphics, they are continuing to develop software for designs, the current software can "dome" material, and you can download a demo copy of the software from their site.

Feel free to ask anything else you may want to know. I'm not shy about saying "I don't know" if that's the case, or guessing if I think I have an answer.

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2006, 6:50 PM
Cecil - Thanks. That thing is still very cool.

Here's my question - What are the minimum cross sections and lengths that this beast can accommodate?

Lee DeRaud
02-24-2006, 6:51 PM
Other things I left our: the processor is a Motorola 68000 series, the software uses raster graphics, they are continuing to develop software for designs, the current software can "dome" material, and you can download a demo copy of the software from their site.That sounds ominous: if this widget isn't controllable in vector mode by CorelDraw or AutoCAD, it's going to be a complete non-starter for a largish chunk of its potential market.

Bruce Page
02-24-2006, 6:52 PM
Cecil, thanks for the post - this thing is cool!
Is the a dust collection port? Is it loud like a typical router?

nic obie
02-24-2006, 8:22 PM
It's been a long time since I've 'needed' a new tool, but I've ordered one of these. :D

I don't think that they have a chip collecter hood yet, but have been assured that it's not a big problem. (check out their answer on the carvewright forum)

Lee, why do think that not using Autocad will be a problem? Is the Motorola chip prone to failure? Is that your concern?

If I have to learn a new software proggie would the CarveWright software be harder to learn than others you mentioned?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Lee DeRaud
02-24-2006, 8:48 PM
Lee, why do think that not using Autocad will be a problem? Is the Motorola chip prone to failure? Is that your concern?

If I have to learn a new software proggie would the CarveWright software be harder to learn than others you mentioned?I'm not so concerned with "not using AutoCAD" as I am with "raster-mode only", with the added concern of proprietary software. Neither of these concerns has anything to do with the chip.

It sounds like their software would be rather easy to learn, but it looks (on the web-site at least) to be rather limited in functionality.

Cecil Arnold
02-24-2006, 9:27 PM
Andy, it will do a 14 1/2" wide by up to 5 1/2" high piece and the length is not a limiting factor so much as weight, since it can only transport 20 lbs. I don't think you would have trouble with a 1X12 up to say 8".

Bruce, it has a dust catcher, much like the PC ROS. This acts more like a muffler, but there is a small amount of air flow to it in order to keep the laser (which sees the board to find the edges) clear. If you really wanted dust control you would have to rig up something like a down draft table since most of the dust falls to the open bottom.

Lee, I'm also not overly excited about raster, however it seems to be tight enough to not matter very much. I may be mistaken, but I equate raster to bit mapped. If that is the case, then it is a very tight raster, but then I'm not sure what I'm talking about on that. I suggest you down load their software package and see what you think.

Nic, from what I saw collection is not a big deal. It appears (and I want to stress appears) that most fine dust is routed to the dust bag (like a ROS) and the larger (and they are not very large) pieces fall out the bottom of the machine. My feeling is that even a home made downdraft table would be overkill. Thanks for the PM.

Allen Grimes
02-24-2006, 9:31 PM
Thanks Cecil,

I am definately buying one of these as soon as I can afford one and have everything else I need. Hopefully by then they will have all the bugs worked out.

One question Cecil, I looked at the website already, but I am still kind of confused.

Can you make your own designs from scratch or do you have to mix up their pre-made crap?

nic obie
02-24-2006, 9:38 PM
I'm not so concerned with "not using AutoCAD" as I am with "raster-mode only", with the added concern of proprietary software. Neither of these concerns has anything to do with the chip.

It sounds like their software would be rather easy to learn, but it looks (on the web-site at least) to be rather limited in functionality.

Hi Lee,

After reading the FAQs on their website it appears that the software does support vector programing (did I say that right?).

I'm concerned about your "limited in functionality" comment, however I guess I'll have to wait until my machine gets here before I can say more on that subject. :rolleyes:

nic

Allen Grimes
02-24-2006, 9:40 PM
Hi Lee,

After reading the FAQs on their website it appears that the software does support vector programing (did I say that right?).

I'm concerned about your "limited in functionality" comment, however I guess I'll have to wait until my machine gets here before I can say more on that subject. :rolleyes:

nicNic,

Please do a review when you get yours up and running, Im seriously interested in the capabilities of this machine

Cecil Arnold
02-24-2006, 9:40 PM
Allen, I know you can do 2D drawings and cut them but I'm not sure if you can manipulate the drawing beyond that. Guess the best thing to do is send them an e-mail. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

Allen Grimes
02-24-2006, 9:41 PM
Allen, I know you can do 2D drawings and cut them but I'm not sure if you can manipulate the drawing beyond that. Guess the best thing to do is send them an e-mail. Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.Thanks Cecil, your answer was perfect, because I wouldn't have thought of emailing them if you didnt say that.

nic obie
02-24-2006, 9:45 PM
Allen,

I was able to d/l a copy of their software for free.

Check out their FAQ's. Give them a call if you feel like it. I just emailed them.

nic

Allen Grimes
02-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Ok I just read the FAQ. From what I understand you can make your own designs if you use another program and save it as an image file (.bmp,.jpeg, etc..), but Im not sure how it would come out. I am still pretty confused so I am just going to talk directly to them and see what info I can gather.

Either way, I already have a bajillion ideas of what I can do with that machine as is, so it is still on my "to buy" list.

Rob Will
02-24-2006, 10:18 PM
I ordered one of these last week. One of the main things that I like is that the CarveWright software is simple enough for the kids to use. My motto is that if software needs a manual, I don't need the software.

CarveWright is good software and yes you can make your own designs. One of our favorite features is the ability to import an image and transfer it to wood. This machine provides an excellent opportunity for the kids to be involved in woodworking.

Rob

Allen Grimes
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Rob,

You already have yours?

Lee DeRaud
02-24-2006, 11:54 PM
After reading the FAQs on their website it appears that the software does support vector programing (did I say that right?).As I read it, there are 2D vector capabilities built into the current software. What's missing is the ability to import vector files from other software, which means (for the time being) that they and/or their users are going to spend time 'reinventing the wheel' to some extent. A lot depends on how transparent (i.e. well-documented) the file format of the memory widget turns out to be and whether you can write to it from a non-proprietary program...it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've had to write a file-conversion program for a new piece of hardware.:p
I'm concerned about your "limited in functionality" comment, however I guess I'll have to wait until my machine gets here before I can say more on that subject.I'll stand by that assessment: it looks like they've talked to someone like me before, because (most of) the things I'm concerned about appear to be on their "to-do" list for future software revisions.:cool:

Rob Will
02-25-2006, 1:03 AM
No, just running the software.

Rich Torino
02-25-2006, 8:08 AM
Cecil,
thanks for the great info on this machine..
Looking at the chair..Am I correct in saying that this machine can cut "parts" from 2D drawings?? I've made a couple of similar chairs but first made MDF patterns, rough cut pieces on the bandsaw then used a router table and a pattern bit.. This would make the CW very valuable to me....

Rob Will
02-25-2006, 8:39 AM
Cecil,
thanks for the great info on this machine..
Looking at the chair..Am I correct in saying that this machine can cut "parts" from 2D drawings?? I've made a couple of similar chairs but first made MDF patterns, rough cut pieces on the bandsaw then used a router table and a pattern bit.. This would make the CW very valuable to me....

Rich, I don't have mine yet but I can't help but wonder if the CarveWright will really be all that effective in cutting out parts (?) My gut feeling is that a bandsaw will cut circles around a CarveWright when doing full depth cut-outs on long 3/4" thick stock. It will be interesting to see what happens. BTW, how do they protect the table when doing full depth cuts?

Rob

tod evans
02-25-2006, 8:44 AM
rob, from what i`ve seen of this machine it`s not intended to be a true pattern cutting cnc. maybe small parts? but it sure looks cool for roughing in carvings.....02 tod

Lee DeRaud
02-25-2006, 10:32 AM
BTW, how do they protect the table when doing full depth cuts?There probably isn't any 'table' directly underneath the bit. Note that the bit only moves in two axes (up/down and across the carraige). The workpiece is moving front to back, so they just need a fairly narrow clearance slot under the bit.

Lee DeRaud
02-25-2006, 10:35 AM
rob, from what i`ve seen of this machine it`s not intended to be a true pattern cutting cnc.That's the impression I'm getting, at least with the "version 0.X" software they have now. But the basic hardware is all there, once the software catches up with it.

Cecil Arnold
02-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Rich, I was told that the CW machine did the entire chair, (except the 1X2 bottom slats) including drilling most of the screw holes except those holes that needed to be drilled at an angle. I saw the scraps from some of the parts in the shop. My feeling is that the CW would be ideal for making patterns from 1/4" MDF for large projects, but due to the speed might be lacking for full sized large parts. It required three or more passes to cut the 1X stock. Were I making a single chair, I would consider the CW, however for more than one I would pattern in 1/4" MDF. I have to wonder how well it would in roughing out a cabriolet leg?

Rob, Lee is correct. As you might have noticed in one of my earlier posts, the workpiece is driven by a brass "gear" on the left side of the unit base. This area is open between 2 "sanding belt" base tables--much like a Performax sander except the gear drives the stock. The "larger" chips tend to fall through this opening and mostly on to the table that the unit sits on. That is why I have said that a downdraft type table would be useful for complete dust control.

I wish I had gotten into file importation, but have to plead information overload. I did mention that there were a lot of people using Corel, and Chris indicated that they were working on something. There was a guy busily writing code at one of the desks (I may be computer illiterate but do recognize code when I see it) so there may/will be upgrades in store. I also did not go into how they imported the pictures they have done on translucent acrylic, but was impressed by the look of them. When properly back lighted they have an ethereal quality reminiscent of better stained glass work except in monochrome.

James Stokes
02-25-2006, 1:31 PM
I think I have decided to buy one of those. I have been thinking on it for about 3 weeks and have not come up with a reason not to. I think it woul be a fun toy.

nic obie
02-25-2006, 2:08 PM
I think I have decided to buy one of those. I have been thinking on it for about 3 weeks and have not come up with a reason not to. I think it woul be a fun toy.

That's exactly why I ordered mine.

For now, my only concern is with the 3.5A motor. Heck, my smallest router sucks 8 amps. I've got a feeling the machine will be slow, but that's OK, it's not as if you've got to watch it as it cuts. One of the CarveWright people said the db level was 89. (that's loud)

Rich Torino
02-25-2006, 3:47 PM
Thanks Cecil,

I really would like one but just recently purchased new band saw and jointer... don't think wifey would quite understand it. Maybe if I told her it could make jewelery......

Cecil Arnold
02-25-2006, 4:02 PM
Rich, don't know about jewelery, but bet it would make one nice jewelery box.

Per Swenson
02-25-2006, 8:00 PM
Thank you Cecil,

I was just about to order a Amana rossette drill and shaper cutter.

Now not so much.

Per

Chris Cordina
02-25-2006, 8:17 PM
Thanks for the report on the Carvewright. I ordered mine Wed. I felt good about it but your report does help me think I made a good choice. Its not everyday I plunk $1500 on a unseen machine. I know there is a video but there is still nothing like touching it with your own hands.

James Stokes
02-27-2006, 6:18 PM
I ordered mine today. I was told that as of my purchase they have only sold 95

Per Swenson
02-27-2006, 9:19 PM
96 Thanks again Cecil.

Per

Frank Pellow
02-27-2006, 9:30 PM
Jim, I think I want one, price is the major hold up as I retired a year or so ago.

That begs the question: "What is the price?"

Allen Grimes
02-27-2006, 9:46 PM
Wow, congrats James and Per, I wish I could say I was number 97.

Frank, the price is currently at $1500 if I am not mistaken. Though from what I understand that is only temporary and it will be sold at $2000 with a feature or 2 that is currently included in the price to be sold seperately.

Keith Outten
02-28-2006, 1:30 AM
Seems to me we are adding to the list of SMC Members who own CNC equipment :)

James Stokes
02-28-2006, 6:53 AM
Technically the $1500 price was good untill last Friday. But if you buy in the next day or so and complain when they give you the $2000 price, you can probabally get the $1500

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-28-2006, 8:34 AM
since I ordered it a couple weeks ago. I too have talked to the folks over the phone and am completely sold on the unit. It will do until I build the bigger shop and go to a full size unit. I'll be sure and keep any projects, trials and "learning curve" issues posted. I'm looking forward to talking to you guys that have gotten into this machine also. I know Keith will help us out all he can. Oh yeah ... and don't forget the picts! Remember, no picts, it didn't happen!

Robert Mayer
02-28-2006, 8:35 AM
Sounds like you really wouldnt want to use this machine to make multiple cuts through 3/4 stock. Its main function seems to be carving only with occasionaly stock trimming. I certainly wouldnt want to wear it out prematurely.

Is there anything else out there that can carve like this thing?

John Wade
02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Hello to all,
First I'd like to say this sight is great, and thank you for all the info.
I have ordered a Carvewright system and cant wait to get it. They sent me the software to keep me busy until my "money carver":D arrives. The software is very easy to use.This software has a much smaller learning curve than corel. But in turn I'm sure it has it's limits as well.
I will post pictures when I can.

Bruce Volden
03-02-2006, 11:26 AM
I, too, am this close to pulling the trigger and ordering this machine. Last week I spoke with Chris and felt like it could compliment my little side business. I priority mailed down some sample pieces to "carve" on. The pieces were all the same size ( 6" X 12") in cherry, gnarly grained oak and a piece of solid surface. Chris mentioned they'd never carved the solid surface before and was looking forward to it. I am interested in seeing if the cherry "burns", oak "tears out". I'm sure the solid surface will be fine. I will post some pic's when they arrive. Also, I see there are quite a few here purchasing a machine, perhaps we could have Keith start a CarveWright forum in the future??? !!! Would be a good way to share success's as well as failures, also exchange files etc.... Bruce

Keith Outten
03-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Bruce,

I would love to start a CNC Woodworking Forum. You CarveWright Guys will have share space with us ShopBotters.

:)

Bruce Volden
03-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks Keith, but to save web space perhaps we shouldn't jump the gun just yet! Let's here from some other feller's~~how 'bout it???

Bruce

Allen Grimes
03-02-2006, 12:50 PM
I like the idea, it would not only be helpful for you guys who already own, CNC machines, but it would also be good for us CNC wannnabes to get info on CNC machines.

I for one love hearing about tools I am interested in from people who own them, so I vote yes.

EDIT: Actually, I've been wondering why there isnt a CNC forum already.

Lee DeRaud
03-02-2006, 1:20 PM
Thanks Keith, but to save web space perhaps we shouldn't jump the gun just yet! Let's here from some other feller's~~how 'bout it???I think I'd lean toward combining it with the laser forum, just call it "computer-controlled tools" or something like that.

nic obie
03-02-2006, 4:13 PM
I think I'd lean toward combining it with the laser forum, just call it "computer-controlled tools" or something like that.

I also think that is a good idea. No use getting spread out too thin.

Cecil Arnold
03-02-2006, 4:38 PM
What Lee and Nic said.

Keith Outten
03-02-2006, 7:45 PM
I think I'd lean toward combining it with the laser forum, just call it "computer-controlled tools" or something like that.

Excellent idea Lee.

Rob Will
03-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Seems to me we are adding to the list of SMC Members who own CNC equipment :)

FedEx says I'm going to be busy Monday with mine.
I hear they are adding a tool rotator to the machine.

Rob

James Stokes
03-03-2006, 5:44 AM
When I talked to them, They told me the first 200 would be test machines. That any improvments we would get. I am curious if we will.

Rob Will
03-03-2006, 8:58 AM
When I talked to them, They told me the first 200 would be test machines. That any improvments we would get. I am curious if we will.

My guess is that the tool rotator will be an upcharge but any software improvements will be free (?).

Rob

Dan Racette
03-03-2006, 9:30 AM
Hey guys, I work with vector/raster data everyday in my job. I thought I would share some info. There is no "printer" or output device on the market that I am aware of that actually outputs vector data. It all needs to be rasterized or "RIPped" before output. And I do mean to demean the carvewright as a "printer" but you know how it seems to work like printer, that is why I am comparing.

But anywho...if you were to open any vector data into a program like photoshop and "rasterize" it, you should be as good as if the software accepted vector data. You just need to know the resolution to rasterize to. Hopefully carvewright will share that info! I just wanted to let everyone know that no vector input really shouldn't do anything but add a step.

dan

As I read it, there are 2D vector capabilities built into the current software. What's missing is the ability to import vector files from other software, which means (for the time being) that they and/or their users are going to spend time 'reinventing the wheel' to some extent. A lot depends on how transparent (i.e. well-documented) the file format of the memory widget turns out to be and whether you can write to it from a non-proprietary program...it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've had to write a file-conversion program for a new piece of hardware.:pI'll stand by that assessment: it looks like they've talked to someone like me before, because (most of) the things I'm concerned about appear to be on their "to-do" list for future software revisions.:cool:

Bob Swenson
03-03-2006, 9:57 AM
We are patiently waiting for our new toy. I can see tons of things to do with the machine Every where I look I see future carvings. Per wanted to buy a rosette cutter set, but the price was almost one third of the CarveWright, With this machine we can make rosettes any style. I have been practicing with the Software creating some neat mouldings. It's easy even for this old dog.

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
There is no "printer" or output device on the market that I am aware of that actually outputs vector data. It all needs to be rasterized or "RIPped" before output. And I do mean to demean the carvewright as a "printer" but you know how it seems to work like printer, that is why I am comparing.Apparently you've never seen a laser engraver or a pen plotter, both of which indeed output directly in vector mode.

The mechanism of the Carvewright works just like large format plotters where the 'pen' moves in the Y axis and the 'paper' moves in the X axis. I had a little Epson HI80 back in the '80s with the same mechanism and I believe Roland (and others) still make sign vinyl cutters that work that way.

Dan Racette
03-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Well my point was, that you don't need vector to have high quality.

I still would have to believe that your output would be based on a grid since it is an x/y system. The hardware probably converts the vector to a grid and draws it in reverse order that the vectors were created. (hence the paper moving) but is still works on a grid positioning and resolution, just via hardware direct. I guess you could call that vector output but I don't want to spilt hairs. My experience is with engraver heads, laser plotters, PMT scanners. Plus if the carvewright works in "greyscale" I would think you would want raster data anyway. My point was that a high quality raster file will give you the same output quality when done on a one - to - one ratio with the printers resolution.

I was just trying to say that no vector should not prevent you from buying the machine.

Apparently you've never seen a laser engraver or a pen plotter, both of which indeed output directly in vector mode.

The mechanism of the Carvewright works just like large format plotters where the 'pen' moves in the Y axis and the 'paper' moves in the X axis. I had a little Epson HI80 back in the '80s with the same mechanism and I believe Roland (and others) still make sign vinyl cutters that work that way.

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2006, 1:41 PM
Well my point was, that you don't need vector to have high quality.

I still would have to believe that your output would be based on a grid since it is an x/y system. The hardware probably converts the vector to a grid and draws it in reverse order that the vectors were created. (hence the paper moving) but is still works on a grid positioning and resolution, just via hardware direct. I guess you could call that vector output but I don't want to spilt hairs.Just because something uses an X-Y grid doesn't make it raster-mode. If the pen/cutter/beam is moving in both axes simultaneously, that's vector-mode by any definition, no hair-splitting required. If the pen/cutter/beam is sweeping across one axis and moving incrementally in the other axis between sweeps, that's raster-mode.
My experience is with engraver heads, laser plotters, PMT scanners. Plus if the carvewright works in "greyscale" I would think you would want raster data anyway. My point was that a high quality raster file will give you the same output quality when done on a one - to - one ratio with the printers resolution.

I was just trying to say that no vector should not prevent you from buying the machine.Let's use Per's example: cutting rosettes. That involves (among other things) cutting circular grooves of various profiles. Doing so in vector mode gives you the same cut quality at every point on the circle. Cutting that same circle in raster mode gives quite different results when the cutter is moving tangentially to the circle (at the top and bottom) than it does when it's moving radially to the circle (at the sides).

Obviously there are also applications where raster mode is better than vector mode: that's why the laser can operate in both. And IMHO, so should the Carvewright.

James Stokes
03-03-2006, 4:34 PM
I am currently doing a bunch of work on a new multi-million dollar house. I have been telling the owner about this machine, I think I have sold him on the idea of me carving all of the risers on his stairs. He has 38 total, I told him I would do them for $100 each plus the oak. This will more than pay for my new toy!

Bob Swenson
03-04-2006, 11:16 AM
If you go to their Web site and check FAQ you will find most of the answers.
The machine cuts both raster and vector.
In May they expect to release a Surface scanner to go with the machine. It all looks good to me!!

John LeBlanc
03-04-2006, 12:08 PM
We are patiently waiting for our new toy.

I'm patiently waiting for someone to call me back (or return my email.) I contacted them late Friday, so I'm guessing it'll be Monday before I hear back.

I sent my dad to the web site -- he wants one, too. Depending on shipping charges, I might just drive to Houston to pick them up.

That'll make a fine a picture: my dad, me, my daughter, and my graddaughter -- four generations all making chips in the shop using a computer. Who'd have ever thought that?

John

Keith Outten
03-04-2006, 4:15 PM
It would seem that the Turners don't own the only "Slippery Slope".

:)

Per Swenson
03-04-2006, 5:01 PM
John,

This is priceless, you wrote,

"That'll make a fine a picture: my dad, me, my daughter, and my graddaughter -- four generations all making chips in the shop using a computer. Who'd have ever thought that?"

Only because a little over two years ago I was a confirmed

luddite, computer illiterate, and scorned the notion

of this tool in my everday life.

Ha! Showed me, didn't they.

Per

Vaughn McMillan
03-04-2006, 7:04 PM
Only because a little over two years ago I was a confirmed

luddite, computer illiterate, and scorned the notion

of this tool in my everday life.

Ha! Showed me, didn't they.

Per
I've only "known" you for less than a year, Per, but it's been fun reading your reactions and observations as you walk boldly into the 21st century. Sawstop, Incra, Carvewright, etc. :D Your "luddite" opinions of these things have carried a lot of weight with me and helped me in some of my own purchases. ;)

- Vaughn

Matty McQuilkin
03-05-2006, 1:17 PM
:D I have had my CarveWright 4 days now it’s awesome. Have already got 2 paying jobs, well worth the investment.

John LeBlanc
03-05-2006, 1:23 PM
:D I have had my CarveWright 4 days now it’s awesome. Have already got 2 paying jobs, well worth the investment.

Ah, more fuel for the fire. :)

Anything about the CarveWright rubs you the wrong way? The software seems awfully easy to use. I fired it up and created things without reading the help manual. (I like to live on the edge. Ha.)

John

Matty McQuilkin
03-05-2006, 1:38 PM
nothing yet:D I'm still trying to figer out pricing.

I'm Charging

Design time @ $65.00 per hour.

Carving charge $0.74 per sqr inch for Standard Carved text for the first
8 characters. $12.00 for each additional character.

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2006, 2:45 PM
[quote=Dan Racette]Well my point was, that you don't need vector to have high quality.
quote]
I had to pipe in on this one. I use a couple of knife/pen plotters for cutting vinyl for signs (as well as the laser) and sell large format digital printing which I sub out. Any time you want high resolution vector is better for highest quality. A vector file can be sized larger or smaller with no difference in quality. To print say 36"x120" output in decent quality you'd need at least a 300 dpi rastor file which would be as much as 20+MB and still have pixelation. With a vector file, color filled, you'd have a much smaller file size and better quality in the end. When it's ripped it's rastorized but the better the input the better the output.

Shari Loveless
03-05-2006, 3:07 PM
I'm curious. Do you have to sand on these carved pieces to make them smooth for some sort of varnish or sealing? If so, what do you recommend? I am really thinking I'll order one of these just to try making small signs with. Can you do Corian too? How about sandstone?
Shari

Bruce Volden
03-05-2006, 3:20 PM
Shari Loveless ~~ I'm curious. Do you have to sand on these carved pieces to make them smooth for some sort of varnish or sealing? If so, what do you recommend? I am really thinking I'll order one of these just to try making small signs with. Can you do Corian too? How about sandstone?
Shari

Shari, I sent Chris some solid surface (Corian, Avonite et al) over a week ago, along with some cherry and wild grained oak. I will post some pics when they get returned to me. I have to see the results before I "pull the trigger" and order one. Sandstone carving????---sounds like a bit eater to me??!! Bruce

Cecil Arnold
03-05-2006, 6:02 PM
Shari, when I was at the office the piece we cut was in pine, which is not the best medium as you may know. We used a small brass brush to "sand" the finished figure. For sign making you would not need to do much sanding IMHO, unless you were adding some type of logo. One thing I saw was a sign that had been cut, then painted, followed by surface sanding that left a nice color fill to the sign.