PDA

View Full Version : Wood Rat vs. Router Table

William Jessup
02-24-2006, 3:21 PM
I have used routers for many years with jigs/fixtures I have made. The current remodeling project to Kitchen and Bathroom will justify the cost of an upgrade to my current router setup.

Any pros/cons for the Wood Rat or Router Table choice is needed.

added info:

Scope of project includes: redesign of current cabinet doors, cut out and replace center fixed panel with removeable type, euro hinges, counter top bamboo butcher block, rebuild drawers, bathroom added storage, mirror molding.

Thanks

William

Mike Wenzloff
02-24-2006, 3:28 PM
Hi William,

Long stock such as moldings are better done on a shaper or router table.

Joinery and shorter runs of profiled stock are extremely easy on the Rat.

Take care, Mike

Marion Rood
02-24-2006, 3:32 PM
So, if I'm following Mike--you need two. One table setup and one setup with Wood Rat.:D Yet another reason to buy more toys, er tools.

Mike Wenzloff
02-24-2006, 3:41 PM
So, if I'm following Mike--you need two. One table setup and one setup with Wood Rat.:D Yet another reason to buy more toys, er tools.
:) I have both a Rat and a shaper. I've come close to selling the shaper. I won't sell the Rat.

Both have their place. As I have shifted business interests away from making architectural moldings using large shaper cutters and large replacement window sills, the shaper has become less important to me. But I still make some furniture. The Rat is fast, at least after its learning curve: And there is one.

I have some sills and crown to make for my own home. Once those are done, I'll probably sell or give the shaper away.

Take care, Mike

Michael Ballent
02-24-2006, 3:42 PM
To help us out, what exactly are you planning on doing. Are you going to build everything from scratch? or just doing a little facelift.

Both options are different animals IMO The WoodRat is really good for creating different joinery but I do not believe that you can raise panels with it (which you can with a router table) DC is much easier with a router table I believe. I would say that the biggest drawback to the WoodRat is that it needs to be mounted to some vertical surface, either a wall or something that you can construct that is sturdy/stable enough (but still need to put away). I know that in my shop wall space is at a premium so I would not get it for that reason alone.

Just my personal opinion, I have seen what the WoodRat can do and it's certainly an impressive set up. The router table can do just about everything that you can with a WoodRat provided you have a fence system/jigs. I am sure that there are a few WoodRat owners here that can give you a better opinion. :D

Good luck

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2006, 4:13 PM
I own the WoodRat but I'm in noway the expert. Dave Richards has used it much more and has come up with some interesting ideas on how to use it...and is a member here on SMC. I'm sure he will speak up...

I can say that I haven't used my router table...and really see no need to anymore. There is a learning curve...because it's contrary to what you do on the router...it's upside down. Althoough I haven't done it...you can do raised panels on it.

Dave Richards
02-24-2006, 4:33 PM
William, Glenn was right. I am speaking up. :D

I am a big fan of the WoodRat and would say you can do just about anything with it that you'd do with a router table. The only limitation I can think of has to do with using those salad plate-sized panel raising bits. You could, if you wanted modify the Rat to handle those but I guess I wouldn't. There are enough vertical panel raising bit choices out there to cover most anyone's needs.

There are a number of operations in which the Rat is superior to the router table. Folks who have read my rant are expecting me to talk at length about dovetails but I won't right now. Tenoning is better and safer on the Rat because you can safely climb mill which will create a cleaner shoulder. Climb milling on the router table is an invitation to the E.R. Mortises are better because you can plunge the router into the wood rather than dropping the wood onto the spinning bit and you can see what you're doing.

Running molding bits is easy enough. People laugh at the use of a scrubbing brush for a feather board. That is, until they try it. It's great for molding and grooving operations.

If you have the clearance out to the sides, running long stock for molding is no problem. The one place where a router table might be easier to use is that it can be dragged to the middle of the shop or out into the driveway if you need the infeed and outfeed space. The Rat needs a support which is usually a wall but doesn't have to be.

There's all kinds of little things that you can do with the Rat that would be difficult at best on a router table. I could make the argument for the kind of dovetails the Rat can cut but I won't at the mooment because I have to catch a bus for home.

If you want more information about the Rat, PM me and I'll be happy to go into more detail.

Like Glenn, I have a router table, too. It makes a great place to stack parts for a project. I clamp my PC oscillating spindle sander to the edge of it when I want to use the sander as a stationary tool. The Rat gets the work.

Michael Ballent
02-24-2006, 4:53 PM
I stand corrected on the raising of panels... But it's sooo much more manly to run a 3" router bit at 10,000 rpm ;) :D

I own the WoodRat but I'm in noway the expert. Dave Richards has used it much more and has come up with some interesting ideas on how to use it...and is a member here on SMC. I'm sure he will speak up...

I can say that I haven't used my router table...and really see no need to anymore. There is a learning curve...because it's contrary to what you do on the router...it's upside down. Althoough I haven't done it...you can do raised panels on it.

Marc Ward
02-24-2006, 5:18 PM

I have both, and I agree. Just like an oven and a microwave, they both do certain things really well.

Jack Clark
02-24-2006, 7:36 PM
I am a big fan of the WoodRat and would say you can do just about anything with it that you'd do with a router table.

I have zero experience with routers. But before diving in, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about them, especially safety issues. Then this discussion on the Wood Rat (huh?) pops up. Wow, SawMillCreek is an amazing forum! I'm learning about something new almost every day. Went to the Wood Rat website and got a little better idea what you guys are talking about.

How does the Wood Rat do with lock miter joints?

As far as saftety goes, how does the Wood Rat compare with a router table?
Safer, less safe, bout the same?

Michael Ballent
02-24-2006, 8:26 PM
How does the Wood Rat do with lock miter joints?

As far as saftety goes, how does the Wood Rat compare with a router table?
Safer, less safe, bout the same?

woodrat would be safer than a router table...

as far as the lock miter read this, look at number 10 :D

http://www.patwarner.com/faq.html

Jack Clark
02-24-2006, 9:13 PM
woodrat would be safer than a router table...

as far as the lock miter read this, look at number 10 :D

http://www.patwarner.com/faq.html

Indeed, I actually read that this morning before I even knew the Wood Rat existed. This evening I looked at the Wood Rat manual online, and there is no mention of the lock miter joint. Pat's comments probably sum it up the reason why there's no mention of it in the manual.

I'm still a learnin... ;)

Joe Unni
02-24-2006, 9:55 PM
I hope more will weigh in - I'm seriously considering the Rat.

-joe