PDA

View Full Version : How's about we make a deal...

Jeremy Chisholm
02-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Howdy. Newbie on the Creek here, but have grown up working wood as a hobby, in a family of part-time woodworkers of varying abilities and interests.

I'm finally planning to buy my first (likely last, at least for a long time) cabinet saw. I'm currently working with a circular saw/improvised fence, and have decided to make the investment in a piece of professional equipment (no offense to those who use such handheld systems professionally...)

My question is, how likely am I to be able to haggle over price with a manufacturer when their product is only available factory direct- ie no retailer (at least not one anywhere near me in lower Michigan)? I'm looking at the Laguna TS table saw, primarily for it's solid construction, riving knife, and upgradability (slider, etc.).

Any thoughts on my chances for working out a deal, or is it simply a "price as marked" game?

While we're at it, any thoughts on the merits of buying a cabinet saw/upgrade slider versus jumping what appears to be the chasm of at least another $3000 into the realm of small format saws? I'm awed by the possibilities of such a saw, but price is a big consideration for me in the short term (my budget is pretty firmly fixed at around $2,500), and saving for a format saw would mean waiting at least another year, likely more, to purchase the saw, while in the meantime projects (not to mention the Mrs. and her "honeydo" list) beckon...

Thanks all,
JC

Steve Clardy
02-24-2006, 1:33 PM
No help here on your saw purchase, but----
Welcome to the creek!!!

Jim Hager
02-24-2006, 1:36 PM
I have not had any experience with the kind of saw you are talking about but you might contact Rojek, a former student of mine works in the headquarters in Little Rock.

Mostly I just wanted to welcome you to the creek. Someone else will chime in directly to answer your question.

Michael Ballent
02-24-2006, 1:39 PM
Welcome to SMC :D

Another option as far as North American style cabinet saws would be a SawStop. It also has a riving knife, and the new Powermatic 2000 (which also includes built in mobile base) also has the riving knife.

Jason Tuinstra
02-24-2006, 1:43 PM
Jeremy, I have zero knoweldge about how you go about getting a deal. But you've come to the right place. SMC has any number of guys who will be able to give you a hand on this one.

I just wanted to write and say welcome to SMC!

Darl Bundren
02-24-2006, 3:18 PM
I can't help you with a saw recommendation, but I would recommend setting your sights on two or three comparable saws if you can. That way, you wouldn't feel obligated to pay whatever the price was for that one saw you were hoping to purchase. Also, it might help when you were talking to vendors to see if their prices had any wiggle room or if you could get some cool goodies thrown in to sweeten the deal. My dad taught me that it never hurts to ask. See what they'll do for you.

Bob Swenson
02-24-2006, 3:57 PM
Take a good look at the Sawstop--for my first cut on ours I balanced a nickel on edge and then ripped a piece of 1 1/2" mahogany, Cut like butter and the nickle never moved. Instinctively turned it off with my left thigh. Love that jewel. Haven't tested all the features yet!
Check www.sawstop.com (http://www.sawstop.com/)

lou sansone
02-24-2006, 4:18 PM
you're on the right track and I would advise that if you can swing it make sure the saw has a riving knife.

If you don't want a slider, but do want the riving knife then there are a few options for you in your price range of 2500

new machines
laguna
powermatic
??

used machines
oliver
rockwell / delta rt-40
tannewitz
wadkin
martin t-17 ( will be very hard to find one at that price range )
some other old iron as well

probalby not going to get a slider of any type of quality for 2500 but you never know

best wishes
lou

Les Spencer
02-24-2006, 4:33 PM
Jeremy,

As to your question about "haggling over price" with Laguna, I was able to get 200-300 (can't remember exactly) off their price on a 18" band saw at a woodworking show. They have "salesmen" that work off commission so give it a try.;) Welcome to the creek.:D

Jim Becker
02-24-2006, 5:21 PM
Welcome to SCM, Jeremy.

Most stationary equipment is sold "at the price"...if you catch a sale/rebate you can sometimes save a few dollars. And some companies like Laguna and Mini Max do have "show specials" as Les mentions. Otherwise...you pay the piper!

David Fried
02-24-2006, 5:40 PM
When I was shopping I called Oliver for prices, info, etc.. They called me back several times as I debated what to do. They were willing to give me a discount due to the cost of shipping cross country. they were willing to offer a discount if I bought several pieces of equipment. Several weeks later they called me back and offered me a big discount on a machine with a cosmetic blemish. I still wonder if I should have gone for it. I didn't even really push them. Seems there might well be room for haggling. Good Luck.

Dave Fried

Dennis Peacock
02-24-2006, 5:52 PM
Given your budget and you want a fairly decent saw, you can try this one:

Jet 708663STK Model: JTAS-10XL50-1ST XACTASAW Left, 3HP, 1Ph, 50" Fence, Sliding Table - $2308.00 on Amazon

Of course you can also buy Powermatic in tha price range as well. You do get better quality in some things with Powermatc, but it's still made across the pond...just like Jet.

Just an idea.

scott spencer
02-24-2006, 7:10 PM
Welcome Jeremy - No experiences buying from Laguna, but whenever making a large purchase I've found it never hurts to ask. I'd contact Laguna, speak with a sales rep and explain your situation, and see what they can work out...the worst they can say is "no" and call you names, but they usually skip the last part! :rolleyes: They might have a demo unit or a return they can work with. You don't necessarily have to close the deal the first time you talk.

Good luck.

Tom Drake
02-25-2006, 4:38 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jeremy. Where are you located at in Southern Michigan?

John Bailey
02-25-2006, 5:39 AM
Welcome Jeremy,

Don't know if you're interested, but a bunch of Creekers are getting together today, 2/25/06 for lunch, tour of Johnson's Lumber in Charlotte, and get-together at Steve Ash's place. It all starts at 11:30 A.M. at La Seniorita restaurant in Lansing. If you're interested, check the thread Michigan Creekers Lunch: Feb. 25th in the Off-Topic forum.

John

tod evans
02-25-2006, 7:01 AM
welcome jeremy! where i in your shoes, and lusting after a true slider but still needing to produce i would buy a decent used name brand cabinet saw with the intention of selling it in a year or two to get the slider. if you buy new now you`ll loose a good chunk when you sell where you can cut your losses buying used now and new later......02 tod

Rob Will
02-25-2006, 8:46 AM
Welcome to SMC :D

Another option as far as North American style cabinet saws would be a SawStop. It also has a riving knife, and the new Powermatic 2000 (which also includes built in mobile base) also has the riving knife.

Michael, where is the PM 2000 made? I'm looking at saws also.
Thanks,
Rob

Chris Barton
02-25-2006, 8:50 AM
I do have first hand experience with Laguna and they are very reluctant to give any additional price breaks beyound advertised specials. The easier thing to do is to ghet them to throw in some extras for free...

tod evans
02-25-2006, 9:01 AM
Michael, where is the PM 2000 made? I'm looking at saws also.
Thanks,
Rob

taiwan...02 tod

Michael Ballent
02-25-2006, 9:21 AM
Rob,

Tod answered your question... the PM 2000 is built in Taiwan, the SawStop is built there as well.

Jim Dunn
02-25-2006, 9:38 AM
Jerry welcome to the creek. Jump and have a good time.

Jeff Geltz
02-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Jeremy,

I have been investigating the Laguna TS for months now and just put an order in for one at the Milwaukee show yesterday. I currently have a 5 HP PM66 that is a wonderful saw. To your question of making the jump to a cabinet, I would highly recommend it. But first lets talk about budget.

$2,500 will buy one heck of a lot of saw. Some have mentioned Sawstop, PM2000, Jet, etc. All good suggestions although once you add in shipping, rails, fence, etc., I think you'll find the Sawstop to be above your budget number. Last I checked, the PM2000 is right around your budget range. My first cabinet saw was a Jet and I loved it.

In order to get sliding capability and add it to your cabinet saw choice, you can go with an aftermarket option such as the Excalibur slider:

http://www.excalibur-tools.com/products/slt.htm?product=slt

I have one on my PM66 and it does a great job. You might find a setup such as this useful enough as to avoid the need for a panel saw downstream. Based on the order I placed yesterday, I guess mine is now up for grabs if you are interested.

As to dealing with Laguna for discounts, I find the best way to approach them is to call them directly. Periodically they offer sales on the web site. In my case, I was able to get a great deal on the TSS version with the integrated slider (hence the reason my excalibur is now up for grabs) at the wood show going on this weekend in Milwaukee. In fact, while I was in the Laguna booth, I got a call from a buddy of mine. I handed my cell phone to the guy in the booth and he ordered up a bandsaw at show pricing while I was measuring the table saw.

Since budget is a big consideration, I would suggest calling Laguna to see what they can do for you. If things don't go your way, there are a ton of decent cabinet saws available in that price range.

Jeremy Chisholm
02-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the feedback gang!

I do like the sawstop (so does the Mrs., who seems rather enamored of the idea of her man keeping all his digits), but at the moment it is out of my range.

I'm planning to stop by my local "big tool" retailer after work to check out the PM2000, which does look like a lot of saw for the money. I'm pretty firmly set on having a euro-style riving knife for safety (since I can't afford the SS or a true slider yet), so my options seem to be the laguna and the powermatic. Both look like great saws. I'll let y'all know when I pull the trigger, and maybe even pic or two when it arrives.

BTW since a few asked, I live in Farmington Hills, and work in Detroit. I'd like to make it up for lunch sometime, definitely keep me in the loop!

JC's weekend project (this past weekend, and several more to come): installing new oak hardwood in the house. Whew! It does look great though!

Michael Ballent
02-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback gang!

I do like the sawstop (so does the Mrs., who seems rather enamored of the idea of her man keeping all his digits), but at the moment it is out of my range.

This is the exact reason that I have a SS sitting in the garage right now. I was planning on getting a MM16 to replace my Jet 14" and my wife insisted I get the SS instead. Who am I to argue :)

Paul Canaris
02-27-2006, 1:20 PM
In general Laguna will work with you on purchase price. I have purchased several times through Laguna, and have always gotten price concessions. Also, March is a good month to do so, as I recall March is the end of their fiscal year, so they are motivated more than usual.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>