PDA

View Full Version : "weekend's doins"

Jim Hager
02-24-2006, 9:55 AM
Since Karl is obviously asleep at the wheel again this Friday I thought I might start the weekend doins thread for this week.

I have a pretty light weekend for a change. I only have orders for 15 flat panel doors and 4 rp doors and 60 ft of knotty pine crown molding. Heck I might even get a chance to clean the shop up a little.:D

What are the rest of you up to for this weekend.

David Fried
02-24-2006, 9:59 AM
Sigh ... With high temperatures this weekend in the low twenties probably nothing. If I get brave, I might try a little turning but it sure sounds cold.
Probably end up doing laundry and house cleaning.

Dave Fried

Bill Lewis
02-24-2006, 10:04 AM
When my wife asked what we were doin' this weekend I told her "hangin' drywall in the bathroom". Then she started with the whatta'bout this and whatta'bout that. So I really don't know what exactly "whatta" I'm doin'.

Mike Evertsen
02-24-2006, 10:06 AM
staining and polyurathaning all weekend except for a 50th party sat. night for my sister and the woodworking show part of the day sunday

Jim Becker
02-24-2006, 10:08 AM
This weekend, oldest has an important dental appointment so that will take part of Saturday. Otherwise, I need to get the location of the additional driveway we are planning marked out and do some sight-line measurements for the PENNDOT permit and hopefully get some shop time to turn or start on something flat. It's supposed to get "really cold" again on Sunday, so hopefully, I can get that measuring done on Saturday!

Don Dean
02-24-2006, 10:18 AM
Just taking it easy recovering from surgery and bitting at the bit to get back to finishing my first workshop.

Dennis Peacock
02-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Good Mornnig Everyone,

I'm off work today.!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!!:D :D
The trucking company will be here this afternoon to pick of the Robland and take it to Joe Blankshain. Sheesh, I'm missing the X31 already. Well, this means that an updated shop tour will be required before lone.:rolleyes:

Saturday will be a freelance type day. Sleep in late, slow start to the day and I'm going start "teaching" my son Joseph how to turn wood on the lathe. He already does pretty good with basic spindle turning. He's got the "want to" pretty bad.

Sunday will be church as I play bass guitar again this Sunday. Sunday night is our "family" night, so if I get any shop time on Sunday, it will have to be after the kids go to bed. BUT....Sunday is usually my "lazy" day because I work long and hard during the week, work hard around the house on Saturdays.....and I at least need one day to recover some before I go back to "the salt mines".

Have a great weekend everyone.

John Branam
02-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I am going to be building a pretty simple workbench this weekend. This is the last thing I have to do to have a fully functioning shop at the new house.

David Duke
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Plan on buffing/polishing outthe table clock I just finished for my nephews wedding (I'll post pictures sometime this weekend), tomorrow will be spent helping hang a couple rooms of sheetrock, hopefully Sunday I'll be able to start my next project, think I'm gonna build a porch swing out of some oak I've have laying around for awhile.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Saturday I've got to make the wooden top for my new grinder and grinder stand. Then mount my new Wolverine jig system and get to sharpening tools. Maybe practice making some more official Idaho salmon bonkers..........this time with some newly sharpened tools.:D

Hank Knight
02-24-2006, 10:39 AM
I'm building a studio easel for my daughter, so this weekend will be spent in the shop working on it. It's an interesting project - not too difficult, but unlike anything I've ever built before. The design is original; a fun, collaborative effort with my Kid, and she's made all the decisions. It was originally supposed to be a Birthday present, but she learned on Tuesday that she's been admitted to American University's MFA program in D.C., so it's a now a graduate school admission gift.

Bill Lewis
02-24-2006, 10:40 AM
...This is the last thing I have to do to have a fully functioning shop...LOL, that's what we All say!:)

Karl Laustrup
02-24-2006, 10:45 AM
Jim, thanks for taking up the slack. I was up and at 'em really early again this morning. Too many things on my mind and doing the thread totally slipped my mind. I'll get the hang of it though, I PROMISE.

I'm actually going to try and vegitate this weekend. This week has really been stressful with all the subs in doing their thing. All but one of the subs has been fantastic. More on that later.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and accomplishes what they've set out to do.

Karl

Robert Mayer
02-24-2006, 10:50 AM
I a bit under halfway done with my new entertainment center. Its going to be awesome. Pretty much all solid except the top which will be covered by the 50" tv. Tiger maple, sucipira, and ambrosia maple.

Jim O'Dell
02-24-2006, 10:57 AM
I have to work Sat 8-1, then lunch with TLOML. I need to go get a hair cut, and will probably drift to the shop for awhile. Would like to reposition my TS fence, moving it about 10" to the right. Then will need to rebuild the extension table and add some legs for stability. I'll need another piece of angle iron for this. If I get properly motivated I may do a readjust session on the TS and get it back in shape since the move. HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE!! Jim.

Tom Drake
02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm heading up to the Michigan Creekers together tomorrow with another fellow woodworker and then stopping by Steve's place afterwards. Sunday is back to nursing the wife back to health again after the accident that happened last week.

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2006, 11:15 AM
Tonight...Dinner with DrLOML at our favorite German place.
Saturday...Lathe learning time ALL DAY!
Sunday...Church and then off to the garden show in the big city.

Julio Navarro
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Building display shelves for work. Cleaning the shop, hopefully going up to Bostwick Florida to pick up my new band saw!!! I cant waite.

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2006, 11:26 AM
Just finished this yesterday afternoon.

And I have to start another one asap for some folks in Miramichi, New Brunswick. Gonna be a lot bigger - a church with steeple. Gonna take a while.

Ken Shoemaker
02-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Dunno... But something tells me that SWMBO will be than glad to clear any "confusion" that I may be experiencing ..... She "good" that way, if ya' know what I mean:rolleyes:

Byron Trantham
02-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Saturday I install the Bay Window desk. Hope it goes well. I have a concern about the height. The customer may want it higher!:mad:

John Miliunas
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Work at Job#2 tonight, a Creeker visit in the morning and then I'm going to try and knock out a frame for the LOML, which I started last weekend. I'm really, really hoping I get a chance to fire up the Vega for a little bit, as well! :) Have a great weekend, all!:) :cool:

Maurice Metzger
02-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Yow! "just" 19 doors...

I'll be finishing up some table leg mortises and dovetails. And going hiking with my wife. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

- Maurice

Michael Gabbay
02-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm thinking about going to the George Mason Univeristy vs. James Madison Univeristy baskeball game tomorrow with the family. It all depends on getting tickets... :o

Shop time will include starting on the two doors for the vanity project and doing the final slider adjustments for the drawer slides. I got the drawers finished last night with the final coat of poly. I also need to work on the tub front panel.

Hopefully I can get some time cleaning the shop. I need to clean up the scrap buckets and go a good vacuuming.

Jim Hager
02-24-2006, 1:14 PM
Jim, thanks for taking up the slack. I was up and at 'em really early again this morning. Too many things on my mind and doing the thread totally slipped my mind. I'll get the hang of it though, I PROMISE.

I'm actually going to try and vegitate this weekend. This week has really been stressful with all the subs in doing their thing. All but one of the subs has been fantastic. More on that later.

Hope everyone has a great weekend and accomplishes what they've set out to do.

Karl

Glad to have your back Karl. You seem to have your hands full with the house anyway and I know for sure what you mean about the subs. By the way things are looking real good on the new house.

Larry Fox
02-24-2006, 1:14 PM
Wife and kids heading out of town this afternoon for a weekend visit to MIL's house so I plan on completing the milling of rail and stile parts for about 30 raised-panel-doors that I need to build. I might head out to Hearne Hardwoods on Sat morning to pick through their pile for some juicy nuggets - maybe. I have a couple of jigs I need to build so I might spend some time on those as well. Whatever I do, it will be a woodworking start-to-finish weekend for me.

Steve Clardy
02-24-2006, 1:25 PM
Starting another set of kitchen cabinets for a remodel.

Bryan Somers
02-24-2006, 1:30 PM
Its my 3 day weekend :D :D :D. Will se if I cant get a bird feeder assembled that I've promising the LOML for some time now. Her birthday is just 3 weeks away.

Mike Zozakiewicz
02-24-2006, 2:00 PM
Saturday I am laying the ceramic tile in the mud room between the garage and family room. It has been I while since I have worked with tile so hopefully no issues develop. Sunday to the woodworking show in Milwaukee.

Have a great weekend everyone and if you are at the show in Milwaukee stop by northend concessions at around 2:00pm to share some 'joe.

Mike

Scott Coffelt
02-24-2006, 2:22 PM
I plan to assemble my new G0490.

Do some repair work on my lawn sprinkler system.

Relax and play with my some.

Mark Hollingsworth
02-24-2006, 2:29 PM
Gotta go to work for an hour or so, then to Sioux Falls for a WW and Power Tool Show. Can't wait to get one of those free hot dogs. No that's a Saturday to remember. Sorry all you guys can't be there! Mark

Saul Harris
02-24-2006, 2:56 PM
Saturday, probably gonna lay the new tile floor in the kid's bathroom and then start the hardwood floor in my daughter's room.

Sunday, grout the tile in the bathroom (from Saturday) and finish the hardwood (if I did not get it finished on Saturday (not like to have finished it...)

Throw a little laundry in there during the slow times and my weekend will be complete!!

Bob Noles
02-24-2006, 4:10 PM
After looking at much cooler temps and a lot of rain for Saturday, I hope to spend the entire day in the shop just to clean, reorganize, sharpen tools and take a hard look a reducing my tool inventory a little by selling the tools I don't use or plan to use in the near future.

We'll see how it goes. :rolleyes:

Scott Parks
02-24-2006, 4:31 PM
This weekend, I was planning on crowning our kitchen cabinets, and picking up 250 sqft of travertine for the master bath... But, my employer had another plan for me. Sent me on a 3 day trip instead.... This work thing interferes with me getting anything done..:mad:

Vaughn McMillan
02-24-2006, 5:06 PM
Shop-wise I expect to continue building up and rubbing out the finish on a pool cue case I have in progress, and get started on the interior of the box. (Still haven't figured out exactly how I want to build the dividers for the different cue pieces.) Also working on a little bandsaw box-like thing I'm making for LOML's b-day that's coming up. I'll probably swing by Rockler and see if there's any lumber that I can't live without (got a 20% off coupon, just in case).

Some of my time this weekend will also be spent doing the typical chores around the house, and it looks like we'll be getting things prepped at the house for LOML's mom, who will hopefully be released from the rehab hospital in the next few days, coming home for the first time in nearly two months.

- Vaughn

Art Mulder
02-24-2006, 5:57 PM
Well, as far as shop time, if I'm lucky I'll keep on building some cutting boards. Mostly inspired by Vaughn's posting here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23080
but also partly inspired by some cutting boards in the latest FWW issue.
(need to pick up some Walnut oil at LVT also.)

But otherwise, I think I might be doing some painting, and maybe carpet removal.

ttfn
...art

JayStPeter
02-24-2006, 6:40 PM
Hopefully I'll get the beds done this weekend. But, I've been saying that for the last 3 ...

Jay

Greg Koch
02-24-2006, 7:04 PM
Got started today cleaning the top of my 4" jointer, getting all the old oil, sawdust, and surface rust. I removed the blades and will take to the local Ace for the "knife guy" to sharpen. He comes in Saturdays and does a good job.

I also cleaned the top on my Rockwell 9" tilting arbor saw, I also got from my Dad. I put the side table attachment on it and will set up the fence tomorrow. After some adjustments, I may do some cutting for some extra shelves.

I got 6 really nice chromed round steel storage racks that were set out on the curb at our local Food and Garden store. The are about 5' long, heavy duty, look brand new, and have dividers that are adjustable. I will be putting those up in the shop and maybe one or two in the garden barn.

Tyler Howell
02-24-2006, 8:42 PM
This is a three dayer. Today was spa day massage, nails, steam:rolleyes: . Lots of chasing. Stopped in at one of my favorite tool resellers to shoot the breaze and a mutual friend stopped by. Lots of catching up. Tomorrow trimming out a door and pulling wire.
Going to see Bill Staines in concert with friends and Sunday is more family time.

Tony Falotico
02-24-2006, 9:02 PM
Low key easy weekend I hope........... Saturday AM finish trim work and touch up's in Master bedroom, Then hopefully out to the shop, clean up and get back to the cherry end table I started 6 months ago.

john mclane
02-24-2006, 9:29 PM
Hopefully get far enough on the workbench to flatten the top and get the finish started. Suppose to be cold so the cellar will be cold. Will need lots of planing and scraping etc to keep warm.