PDA

View Full Version : Watching Woodworks TV with David Marks

Jeffrey Makiel
02-24-2006, 9:21 AM
Does anybody know of a source where I can purchase this show on DVD or tape? A websearch and visit to DIY channel website yielded nothing. I've never seen this show. My current cable package does not include the DIY TV channel unless I upgrade to premium cable package This is quite a hike in price, and was wondering if I could just purchase a volume set instead.

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on this show? I like watching the New Yankee Workshop, but the content of the Woodworks show seems as interesting, if not more creative. It certainly fills the gap between goofin' around in my shop and foolin' around on this forum. Besides, watching this show will free up my hands so I can stuff my face with potato chips whilst I drape my lazy body across a soft and comfy couch!

cheers, Jeff :)

John Dingman
02-24-2006, 9:40 AM
Does anybody know of a source where I can purchase this show on DVD or tape? A websearch and visit to DIY channel website yielded nothing. I've never seen this show. My current cable package does not include the DIY TV channel unless I upgrade to premium cable package This is quite a hike in price, and was wondering if I could just purchase a volume set instead.

Also, does anybody have any thoughts on this show? I like watching the New Yankee Workshop, but the content of the Woodworks show seems as interesting, if not more creative. It certainly fills the gap between goofin' around in my shop and foolin' around on this forum. Besides, watching this show will free up my hands so I can stuff my face with potato chips whilst I drape my lazy body across a soft and comfy couch!

cheers, Jeff :)Here is a Link (http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks.asp) to his DIY TV Shows from His Web Site. And here is the Link (http://www.diynet.com/diy/shows_wwk/0,2044,DIY_14350,00.html) to the DIY Wood Works page. As far as videos of his shows, I can't find any info on them.

I love watching his show on the DIY Network. He has some serious skills. I also enjoy watching the NYW on the PBS Channel.

Have a great day!
John

David Mueller
02-24-2006, 9:42 AM
You can go to his web site and some of the shows are available.

Jim Hager
02-24-2006, 9:49 AM

cheers, Jeff :)

I watched his show last night where he was building the magazine file. He has some good techniques but I also saw him doing some things that I just won't do.

He was using his table saw sled and the fence in combination making a crosscut on his stock. That is not the real problem. Once he finished the cut he backed the whole operation right back across the blade. In my opinion that is a good way to get a serious kickback. However I don't use a sled and maybe that is an acceptable way to do what needed to be done. But at the same time I could see some novice ww'er getting the snot knocked out of him while repeating the same technique in his own shop.

Charlie Mastro
02-24-2006, 10:35 AM
I watched his show last night where he was building the magazine file. He has some good techniques but I also saw him doing some things that I just won't do.

He was using his table saw sled and the fence in combination making a crosscut on his stock. That is not the real problem. Once he finished the cut he backed the whole operation right back across the blade. In my opinion that is a good way to get a serious kickback. However I don't use a sled and maybe that is an acceptable way to do what needed to be done. But at the same time I could see some novice ww'er getting the snot knocked out of him while repeating the same technique in his own shop.

Jim,

I have not seen the show (don't get it here) but from what you discribe it is something I've done for over 25 years. Whenever I finish a cut on my sled I just pull the sled back past the blade and remove the piece and put the next one on. Granted I have a stop on my sled and don't use the fence as a stop but when I have I've always used a block against the fence to leave clearence for the fall off between the blade and fence. Never once had a problem.
Maybe you thought it was dangerous because "However I don't use a sled".;)

Charlie

Ken Garlock
02-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Jeff, David was at the Dallas WW show last December. The question was asked regarding DVDs or tapes of the shows. IIRC, David said the programs were the property of the DIY network and that they have not considered marketing the videos.:(

I enjoy both NYW and Wood Works, but to me their is a great difference. IMO, David is an artist that implements his art in wood. Whereas our old TV friend Norm is an outstanding carpenter. Both very competent, but at different levels.

Barry O'Mahony
02-24-2006, 12:15 PM
There's a note on his web site saying that DIY has not decided to make any of the shows available on DVD (not yet, anyway).

My current cable package does not include the DIY TV channel unless I upgrade to premium cable package This is quite a hike in price, and was wondering if I could just purchase a volume set instead.

One word: Satellite. Usually it's significantly cheaper these days.

Robert Mayer
02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
a few guys on woodnet use their Tivo. I really need to get one.

Kyle Kraft
02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Dish Network and a DVR, then onto a DVD recorder perhaps.

Sam Chambers
02-24-2006, 12:40 PM
I record WoodWorks and New Yankee Workshop on my DirecTivo (A combination DirecTV receiver and Tivo recorder). Then I record the episodes I want to keep onto DVD.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-24-2006, 1:26 PM
That's too bad. It sounds like I've missed a lot of shows even if I get DIY right now. As for the suggestion about satellite tv, it has been something I've been considering. Right now I have Comcast and it's not such a good value to me. Thanks for the replies! :)
cheers, Jeff

Gary Herrmann
02-24-2006, 2:14 PM
My wife Tivo'd a bunch of shows and burned them to a DVD for me. 'Course, I managed to forget the DVD on this road trip...

Tom Conger
02-24-2006, 3:15 PM
I have also recorded almost every one of his shows. I am a huge fan of his. I am probably in the minority, but I am not a fan of NYW. Although I will never be in the same league as either Norm or David, I feel like I would be able to better replicate DM's work over Norm's. From my count, there are only five episodes where DM uses a metal fastener. Everything else is done with various types of joinery. I frequently watch his show before starting a project. What I get from Norm is to have a nail gun handy.

Barry O'Mahony
02-24-2006, 4:38 PM
What I get from Norm is to have a nail gun handy.I cringe every time I here him say "and we'll just put a couple of brads in here ... bang! ... bang!"

David Mueller
02-24-2006, 5:03 PM
You can go to his web site and some of the shows are available.

I stand corrected, it's the plans for his projects that are avail. not the TV show per say.

Fred Voorhees
02-24-2006, 8:07 PM
I tape both of their Saturday shows weekly and watch them later in the weekend when I'm winding down for the upcoming work week. I have watched Norm longer than I have watched DM, but I must admit, David Marks gets higher "Marks" :D as far as creativity. That is not a slight to Norm. Norm has his place and David his, but they are both enjoyable to watch as they create their pieces.

Barry O'Mahony
02-24-2006, 9:07 PM
That's too bad. It sounds like I've missed a lot of shows even if I get DIY right now.Not really. They run several of the shows every week, at different times. With a DVR and enough time, you can record all of them, if you wish.

Rob Blaustein
02-25-2006, 12:18 AM

Don't know if you saw my post on this exact question--it is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31208&highlight=sled). There seemed to be two camps.
--Rob

John Hulett
02-25-2006, 1:53 AM
Not really. They run several of the shows every week, at different times. With a DVR and enough time, you can record all of them, if you wish.

Barry's exactly right. I upgraded my DTivo w/ a 300 GB drive, and began recording all episodes of Woodworks (save for episodes I already have recorded). I began on 9/30, and as of today, I have 90 episodes on the DVR. There are only 92 episodes among the 7 seasons.

I started watching DM long before finding Norm, and while I agree with the previous comments that DM is more artistic and... technical (might be the right word), I'm as much interested in some of Norm's techniques as I am with David's. I feel that, ultimately, watching both will make me a better woodworker.

Chris Padilla
02-25-2006, 3:22 AM
Dish Network and a DVR, then onto a DVD recorder perhaps.

Let us know when you've figured this part out! :D

Tom Hoffman
02-25-2006, 5:11 AM
I have DISH and a DVR recorder. I've recorded many of David's shows that I have stored on the DVR hard drive. How does one get them from the DVR to a DVD?

Jim Tobias
02-25-2006, 10:16 AM
I have a DirecTV and Tivo/DVR. I also had received as a gift a DVD player/recorder(burner). If you have a DVD player/burner hooked into your system, then it is just a matter of playing it from the Tivo/DVR and recording/burning it onto a dvd on the DVD player/burner. If you have to buy a DVD player/recorder(burner), be sure to buy one that accepts/uses a wide range of formats. Some of them are limited in that they would not play on other DVD players if you gave them to someone else. If you are only going to play them on your dvd player, then no problem.

Chris Padilla
02-25-2006, 1:25 PM
MY DVR is from Dish Network and I've no clue how one can burn a DVD from saved shows...I'd love to do it.

BTW, this is pretty much illegal AFAIK...you could save HD movies and burn them and potentially sell the DVDs. However, saving a bunch of Woodworks/NYW shows would be so nice.

Dave Fifield
02-25-2006, 4:56 PM
I have DISH and a DVR recorder. I've recorded many of David's shows that I have stored on the DVR hard drive. How does one get them from the DVR to a DVD?

I use a dish DVR to record the shows, then use a Sony VRD-VC20 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/+INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Print?ProductSKU=VRDVC20) standalone DVD recorder hooked up to the second video output of my dish DVR to record the shows directly to DVD as I'm watching them. I pause for the ads. Works nicely. It's NOT illegal if the recording is just for your own entertainment. It's illegal if you make a copy for, or lend/play it for someone outside your immediate family.

Barry O'Mahony
02-25-2006, 8:00 PM
MY DVR is from Dish Network and I've no clue how one can burn a DVD from saved shows...I'd love to do it.

BTW, this is pretty much illegal AFAIK...'depends on who you talk to. Many people would argue this is covered by the Supreme Court Sony Betamax decision; i.e., this is covered under "fair use" exceptions in copyright law so long as it is for "time shifting" for your personal use.

There are others who would disagree with this ; e.g., music industry lawyers were recently in court arguing that there is no "Fair Use" provision that allows you to take CD's that you've purchased and rip them to your own iPod. In other words, the music industry says it's OK for now, but they could change their minds and start suing people for it anytime they wish. I'm sure you're not surprised that the EFF takes a different view.

As far as how to make the DVD, any DVR as video and audio outputs; you can just feed these into a VCR or a DVD recorder. The quality is not great, but that's not really important for this type of material. Some DVR's may have DVD writers built into them (Dish was rumoured at one time to be thinking about it; I never believed it), which would allow transfer to disk at the same quality as recorded on thr DVR.

John Hulett
02-26-2006, 1:07 AM

I can't really help with DISH, but here are a few ideas if you have a DirecTV Tivo. PLEASE NOTE:

1. I did this with my two Tivo's and it works. I had a few troubles here and there, but I did more research (no direct questions; just searched more threads) and figured it out.
2. If you are not comfortable with Unix/Linux Command Line Interface, DON'T DO IT.
3. Don't ask me to support you; I did it once, six months ago, and I basically plowed my way through it. I just happend to have saved some links. Some of the links I saved are no longer up.
4. MUCH more information is available, but I cannot link directly to another forum. I recommend Googling for tivocommunity and/or dealdatabase forums; everything you need to know is out there.

http://www.thewallens.net/tivo/Tivo_unguide.html

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html

http://www.mastersav.com/tivo_zipper.html

http://www.techstorm.net/tivo/extractionmpg1.html

Good Luck!

Norman Hitt
02-26-2006, 4:23 AM
I've never figured it out, but we get three or 4 ww shows and home improvement shows here on PBS and we also get several shows each week on the DIY channel, But NO David Marks Shows are among them, and honestly, some of the shows they have on OUR DIY channel are pure JUNK. I just don't know why David Marks' show isn't shown here.

Joe Blankshain
02-26-2006, 7:46 AM
I spoke with David late last year when he was in Scottsdale at the WW show. He told me that he had not filmed a new Woodworks in over a year. The folks that produce the show were unwilling to share in the shows success so David and his wife made a decision to not renew. He told me that they were looking for a new medium to teach through and were close to some arrangements. David does read SMC so all we can do is hope he chimes in with some more current info. DIY in South Carolina still has some Woodworks shows on, but I agree that most of the other shows on these days are junk (other than NYW, which is always great). my $0.02.

Chris Barton
02-26-2006, 9:42 AM
I think DM and NA are both great to watch and I regularly record both. I do find that they are fundamentally different. David likes a more modern look and likes to mix in arts and crafts type projects as well as his "Krenovian" pieces. I have to admit that the projects of the past season or two of NYW has featured furniture more to my tastes with several Queen Anne designs and plenty of period furniture. This hasn't always been the case. Most of his earlier work has been shaker influenced and I really don't like it as much as some of the other styles.

NA does always seem to have a airgun in his hand and is not afraid to use it. It also drives me crazy when I see him use his thumb to smear some gule squeeze out around a joint instead of simply wiping it with a wet cloth. But, then again when DM uses brass pins and epoxy to make a drawer joint in a piece makes me cringe as well...

Saul Harris
02-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I have been taping the NYW shows from the beginning. They have all been put on VHS but I am now in the process of capturing them onto my laptop/external HDD and burning them onto DVD - up to 4 shows per disc.

I have lately been recording them onto the dish DVR and then moving them onto my HDD. This involves a video capture unit - purchased at Fry's Electronics for about $200 but no doubt cheaper now and a HDD capable of holding as many shows as you want to record; each show is roughly 1/2GB. The quality is excellent and is easily burned onto disc. Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago, MSN had a story regarding the short life expectancy of burned discs. Basically, it said that tape would last longer than discs. I was very bummed...

So far, I have edited and burned about 40 of the more than 130 eisodes onto DVD. They are for personal use so does not create copyright violation issues.

Barry O'Mahony
02-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago, MSN had a story regarding the short life expectancy of burned discs. Basically, it said that tape would last longer than discs. I was very bummed...Don't be too bummed. Tape doesn't last forever either. This is a largely-unappreciated problem with information storage these days. While we can still read written material that was produced in the 12th century, we may be unable to read stuff produced ten years ago. First there's the format question: I came across some 8" floppy discs recently, b ut I have nothing capable of reading them. And as you note, the media degrades. The only effective way to handle it is to have a regular program of transferring content to fresh media.

BTW, if you prefer tape for archiving, you could copy the DVD content to digital video tape.

Ole Anderson
02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
I have been recording DM with my Comcast Motorola DVR. I then burn them onto DVD with a Panasonic set top unit. Very fustruating that you can't go digital-digital, you have to pick up the composite or component output from the DVR into the same input on the DVD recorder. There are all sorts of digital connectors on the DVR that are not hooked up to anything. I was hoping to go Firewire-Firewire, but no can do. It all gets back to otherwise giving us the ability to make a perfect copy which could be used for distribution.

I have the ability, but not the time or inclination, to rip them to my hard drive and edit out the commercials and burn an edited copy.