PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a RAM Spinter

Jack Wood
02-24-2006, 3:00 AM
I recently saw a Dodge cargo van called a sprinter and I was very impressed. Now it can't match the open bed capability of a PU ,IE sand manure etc, but you can put 8x4 sheets as well as any other lumber in it and it has all sorts of room for storage, wall mount boxes and bins. They make a 1500. 2500, and 3500 with diesels I'm pretty sure. has anyone had one of these or knows about them thanks!:)

Keith Outten
02-24-2006, 5:43 AM
Jack,

A friend of mine purchased a Sprinter for his business and is very happy with it, the diesel gets 30 MPG and the van is basically a Mercedes with Dodge emblems so I am told. My friend outfitted his van with two computer workstations and is using large power inverters to power the equipment while mobile. More versitile than a pickup the Sprinter has enough headroom to stand up in and the cargo carrying capacity is excellent. I could easilly see a workbench installed for mobile use, it would make my life easier installing signs.

I'm told if you visit the Fleet division of your local dealer you can get a Sprinter for about $26,000 new.

Jack Wood
02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Hi Keith! After I saw that I posted this as info on a "SPINTER" instead of "sprinter" I realized once again why I don't have an paperwork kind of job:D . 26,000 doesn't seem to bad at all considering what you can do with it. Anyone on the Creek have one?

Ed Labadie
02-24-2006, 10:58 AM
The Sprinter is also sold with the "Freightliner" nameplate.
A regular Dodge dealer cannot sell them, like Keith said you have to go to a commercial dealer.

Ed

Joe Pelonio
02-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I've driven a few of them just a bit. Our local Mercedes dealership is a customer of mine, so I have to do lettering/graphics on them, they're used for parts delivery and shuttles (passenger version). I can confirm they are made by Mercedes, the first one they brought in even had the Mercedes logo on the wheels. There are several Dodge dealerships around this area that do sell them, a few in stock otherwise they order for you. This one has several in stock but the prices are a lot more than $26k.

http://www.lynnwooddodge.com/

Click "New Dodge" then "Inventory" under the pic of the Sprinter.

Here's the first one I did, another is coming up next week. Notice the Mercedes logo on the wheels.
http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/dsc00713.jpg

John Shuk
02-24-2006, 5:21 PM
I'd buy it in a minute. I've driven one and they are great.

Jim Becker
02-24-2006, 5:42 PM
This is an example of some really nice design entering the US marketplace. Fuel and space efficient. I'm seeing more and more of them on the road, too.

Jim O'Dell
02-24-2006, 6:17 PM
Best have a 10' high door if you want to pull them inside. They are TALL! Everything I have read about them says that they are good quality vehicles. Excellent for work. Haven't seen any dressed up for people, though I understand that is an option. Might be kind of tough keeping on the road in high winds. I expect we'll start seeing small motorhome conversions based ont he 3500 model before long. I thought about one for dogshowing. Would be perfect for the small professional handler. But I'm not that person! Jim.

Brian Hale
02-25-2006, 9:22 PM
They started selling them in "RV Dress" a couple years ago. Not real popular in that market yet, the inside needs a better design, but i feel they'll be a winner.

Time to buy more stock from the Dodge Boys....

Brian :)

Charles McKinley
02-25-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi Jack,

Sprinters have a forum all their own. I came accrossed it when researching my Jetta diesel. It should not be hard to find.

I have heard of problems with some of the 3500 eating front tires. I like them and hope that they start putting the 5 cyl diesel in other vehicles.

I just saw a regular personal grorery getter outfitted one last week.

I love my Jetta wagon and with the rear seats down you can get a lot in it. Eight foot boards will fit but go all the way up to the dash. 3X5 foot backer board fits quite nicely. It is hard to argue with 38-46 miles to the gallon of diesel.

Joe Pelonio
03-02-2006, 12:25 PM
has anyone had one of these or knows about them thanks!:)
jack,

A customer just brought in a brand new 2500. I'll have it until Monday so let me know if you want me to poke around or get a pic or two for you.

John A. Williams
03-02-2006, 8:33 PM
I work at a Dodge dealer that sells Sprinters. I can tell you that they have some problems. The brakes are very noisy and they eat rotors like crazy. You will be replacing rotors at every brake job instead of machining them. This is normal for european cars, but many of our customers aren't accustomed to that. It does get expensive. They seem to average about 20,000 miles here in southern California and then the need front and rear brake job. Another problem we have seen a lot of is broken crankshaft pulley bolts and pulleys. If the bolt breaks you need a new engine, if the pulley breaks, it can be replaced. Factory support has been pretty crappy and training for us techs has been virtually non existant. With all that said, I like driving them, they are very practical, but I think they are ugly. But nobody buys them for looks.
p.s. I have heard they are built in Germany, then disassemble and shipped over in pieces and reassembled by Freightliner. I don't know if that is true or not.