View Full Version : Osage Orange

Andy Hoyt
02-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Now that Bruuuuuce Shiiiiiiiiveeeeerdeeeeeckeeer is baaaaack from his visit to the tropics I can post this puppy.

He sent me this exchange piece just after the new year and I finally got around to dealing with it just before he left. Click here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29418) to see the chunk in its original configuration.

It's about nine inches wide and tall and 3/8" thick. Started to crack really bad so I schlopped some CA glue and fine dust in them and proceeded on my merry way, although it didn't work all that well this time.

The cracks are still there, but I carefully aimed the camera elsewhere. Finished with about three coats of Arm-R-Seal. And as I type this I realize that I forgot to buff the thing. Needs it too.

Thanks for looking.

32624 32625 32626 32627

Corey Hallagan
02-23-2006, 10:37 PM
That's a pretty bowl Andy, to bad it cracked. I will have trouble dealing with that when I start turning wet wood, how depressing :(

Corey

Mark Cothren
02-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Nice bowl, Andy!

Just say no to crack...:D

Thanks for the pictures!

Jim Dunn
02-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Andy that's one pretty piece of turning. Almost big enough for popcorn:) Almost.

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Andy that is one pretty bowl. Hey it looks like it will still hold 4 or 5 scoops of either Butter Pecan or Dark Sweet Cherry ice cream.:D

Keith Burns
02-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Very nice Andy. Great form and finish. :) :)

Jim Ketron
02-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Nice Job on the save Andy!
so what flavor is going in this one?

Cecil Arnold
02-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Good save and nice bowl. Are you going to try some rum raisin.

Bill Stevener
02-23-2006, 10:49 PM
That's quite a nice save there Andy. When you first presented it, if there was any hope at all, I thought it would look more like the inside of an umbrella frame, the way it was relieving itself.
Well worth the effort, came out real nice.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Travis Stinson
02-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Nice save Andy! Will it hold melted ice cream?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2006, 10:52 PM
I like it Andy! I really like the form and the finish!

Andy Hoyt
02-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys.

Yup it's leakproof.

As to what flavor of mental health food this is suitable for - I think I'm gonna go with Ben & Jerry's new one - Oh oh Sage Can You See.

Mark Cothren
02-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I was thinkin' some Mustard flavor would be good in this one....;)

Curt Fuller
02-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Good looking bowl, Andy. I have come to the conclusion that there are really only two kinds of wood. Wood that's cracked and wood that's gonna crack. But like a lot of people I know and admire, the cracked ones are some of the most interesting.

Pat Salter
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Andy, the cracks are difficult to see in the finished bowl. Did you fix them? what kind of spackle did you use? How did you do it???? I'm curious in case I get a piece of hickory that splits....:rolleyes: :D

Ernie Nyvall
02-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Nice one Andy. Good save.

Ernie

Dennis Peacock
02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
I was thinkin' some Mustard flavor would be good in this one....;)

Eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-24-2006, 1:03 AM
Well Andy, you did her proud! Filling cracks with CA does wonders.

Sorry it cracked on you. As I said, it must have been under stress. It's from down at the root end of the trunk.

I'm still deciding how best to cut up the great piece of Hickory with all the mold on it.

Bruce

Earl Eyre
02-24-2006, 1:23 AM
Very nice. I love the color and shape.

John Hart
02-24-2006, 6:18 AM
Nice looking form Andy. I really like the lip treatment. Too bad about the crack, but it doesn't look that bad from here.:)

Bob Noles
02-24-2006, 6:34 AM
Andy....

Crack? What crack? Don't make me put my glasses on this early in the morning. All I see on my screen is one very nice looking bowl :)

Great job, but then who could expect less from the master :D

Glenn Clabo
02-24-2006, 7:39 AM
Nice save Andy.
I'm slowly getting it... Woodturning Bondo = CA + Dust
Just say no to brain freeze.

David Fried
02-24-2006, 7:47 AM
Andy,

Looks really nice. I too like the line and lip. Nice job hiding the crack. I do like the grain/color of the osage orange.

Dave Fried

John Miliunas
02-24-2006, 8:21 AM
I like the form and, as John H. mentions, nice lip treatment. :) As for the crack, maybe you could give it as a present to a plumber friend??? You know...something they deal with all the time!!!:eek: :D :D :cool:

Rich Stewart
02-24-2006, 9:46 AM
Yeah, great save. If I had one cracked like that I think would have given up on it. Can you explain the ca/sawdust process to me? I can't even find the crack in your finished bowl. That was what I consider a MONSTER crack too. I like the shape of that bowl and the finish. Nice job!

Paul Douglass
02-24-2006, 10:52 AM
I really like the bowl. Nice and deep and big enough to put something in. On top of that it is very pretty wood.

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks again for the nice comments. But I really don't think this one qualifies as a save. It's not like it was about to go suborbital or explode on me. Then again, if anything it saved itself by forcing me to chicken out and not go thinnner.

Cracks add character, and if I were a marketing guy, I'd say that increases value.

I almost did give up on it, but -- nothing ventured....

Remember, I said I pointed the camera very carefully. Here's one that shows it - warts and all.

Rich - My CA and dust process is really basic. Grab a sander that has a collection bag. Sand the crap out of a chunk of the same wood. Empty bag contents into a handy pile. Dump thick CA into crack, grab a pinch of dust and rub into CA'd crack. Oh yeah, try to remember to put some disposable gloves on first. DAMHIKT!

Mike Ramsey
02-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Andy, fine job you did on the Horse Apple wood!
Nice to get free wood from friends!

John Hart
02-24-2006, 11:08 AM
You just gave me an idea Andy. I noticed, while pulling some pieces out of the alcohol the other day, that the red dye from bloodwood is permanent and is easily captured with alcohol. I wonder what it would look like if you soaked the checking endgrain with bloodwood alcohol and actually enhanced the checks. Maybe a stupid idea....but I think I'll give it a try. :rolleyes:Hmmmm

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2006, 11:13 AM
John - How are ya gonna soak "just the end grain"?

John Hart
02-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Well...what I'm thinking is that, if you look real close at the blank in the rough, you can see microminiature checks in the endgrain. So, before turning it, brush the red stuff on to the blank and the alcohol will naturally migrate into the wood via the plant cells...(natural osmosis and all that). I would think that the dye would deposit itself at the checks most heavily.

Disclaimer
These assumptions are being made by a complete idiot. Any of the above should be considered as "Mindless Banter" only and not worthy of quoting or putting to practical use.

Andy Hoyt
02-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Okay. A paint brush. I don't do paint brushes. Unless it's the floor and my clothes that need attention:D

Honestly - makes sense. Go for it.

Rich Stewart
02-24-2006, 12:07 PM
I been reading somewhere about some guys putting wood in containers full of dna and such and sucking the air out with a vacuum gizmo for bleeding brakes. Supposed to suck the dna deeper, faster into the wood grain. I think they are stabilizing wood blanks with this process. Wonder if it would also suck dye into the wood. John, sounds like something right up your alley. Hmm. Maybe I should make a new thread about this.

Glenn Hodges
02-24-2006, 1:05 PM
Good looking bowl Andy. I like the rim treatment. As to the crack, heck we aren't working with plastic. The crack and how you treat it is know as character. Some artist go to college to learn how to call stuff like this by other names like:
Added dimension
pluralistic character
added immersion on a different plane
and the BS goes on and on
I just call it a well patched crack.

Jim Dunn
02-24-2006, 4:04 PM
pluralistic character
Isn't that what Andy already is:confused::) And, that I know of, he don't even have any character.:eek::p

Dick Parr
02-24-2006, 5:44 PM
Wow Andy, that is really nice. You really can turn wood..:D and do a good job of it too.;)

doug webb
02-24-2006, 8:06 PM
Love the grain patterns on that, and the color......Must have been fun watching the figure emerge as you turned......Thanks for sharing..........doug