PDA

View Full Version : How to fix cracked chisel sockets?!?

Louis Bois
02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Has anyone ever fixed a cracked chisel socket?!? I must admit that my metallurgy skills are fairly basic...and I'd rather bash with a hammer than fire up the torch!!!

I have a couple of full length Witherby chisels that need a bit of T.L.C. on the sockets...another testament to "buyer beware" on the auction-place-that-will-not-be-named. At least I didn't pay a fortune for them, as I got them before the Witherby craze began.

I suppose some sort of brazing would be in order...or silver solder?!? I'm clueless in this department. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s. sorry for the fuzzy photo...didn't have my glasses on...

Bob Smalser
02-23-2006, 10:41 PM
No problem.

The hardest part will be cleaning the cracks, as silver braze won't stick to rust. Dremel Tool and a veiner bit is one way...the braze will fill the cut.

Silver solder is merely tin solder with a smidgen of silver thaty melts at around 500 degrees, isn't appreciably stronger than tin solder, and isn't strong enuf for your purpose.

You want silver braze that melts at around 1200 degrees (steel beginning to turn red) and is as least as strong as a weld.

That's if you're gonna fix it yourself...otherwise take it to a weldor set up for TIG.

If you are gonna fix it yourself, go to a welding supply shop, take your chisel, and talk to them about what you need. Silver braze, Borax flux (some braze is ground into its own flux), the gap-filling flavor of braze if they have it, a MAPP torch, and some local advice. Wrap wet rags around the blade to prevent overheating the tempered parts. Practice on junk, first. The braze drawfiled flush after the repair and the part buffed to blend in. Beginners failures are usually from not enuf heat to penetrate all the way thru the joint.

Fusion brand Silver braze ground into a paste in its own flux is available from Brownells.com.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL12/1104763/5305809/67802927.jpg

Louis Bois
02-24-2006, 7:54 AM
Thank you Bob. I think I'll approach the local welding shop first...I'd rather have the pros do it. Although I'm not averse to learning new skills, I'd rather see this done before I attempt it myself.