PDA

View Full Version : Router table dimensions

Jason Morgan
02-23-2006, 9:10 PM
Okay, I have all the opinions on top construction, now what about dimensions? Really, just height and table size, I plan to build the Norm style cabinet under it, but I want to get the top and height right. My current table is 37.25" high and on castors. Im going to get some better quality wheels for it but I like that height. Although, if I make it the same height as my table saw, then I can use it for outboard feeding (side for long crosscuts or infeed table for PW sheets). The table size I currently have in mind it 24 deep by 36 wide. Im going to make my own fence, so it can be any size.

Thanks!

Jason Morgan
02-23-2006, 9:17 PM
Oh and by the way, how large do I make the box arount the router?

John Keane
02-23-2006, 9:50 PM
Norm's router cabinet is like Muntz TV. All little drawers that serve no purpose. Better to build the Jointech router cabinet. Bigger drawers, and more functional. Just my opinion. I have built both.

Jim Becker
02-23-2006, 9:55 PM
My router table is 24" deep by 36" wide. I like bigger. Many of the commercial tops are only 32" wide.

David Duke
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
My top is 32"w x 36"d x 34"h., built somewhat on the JoinTech design table with larger drawers. The heigth should be what is comfortable for you to work, I'm short (5'5") so yours may be different.

http://www.woodworking-galleries.org/gallery/data/media/67/Shop_Photos_020.jpg

W Craig Wilson
02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
I built a Norm cabinet to fit under a Rockler top. Had to shrik the widts a few inches to get it to fit. Wish I had kept the larger width at least 2 of every 5 times I use it. Go for 36* width. Then there ws the depth.. Worked OK with the original fence, but when I got the Incra, I had to add an extension to the back for support. Works fine, looks a little odd. Plan Ahead.

Steven J Corpstein
02-23-2006, 10:33 PM
I just built a router cabinet this past Fall using Jointech's design. I enlarged it from the original plans to be 24" x 30" and at the same height as my workbench so I could use it as an infeed/outfeed table if needed.

Ed Labadie
02-24-2006, 9:12 AM
Mine is 36" x 50", The bigger the better, if you have room for it.
32" Jointech fence with a 12" clincher.

Ed

Ryan Ricks
02-24-2006, 9:49 AM
My router table is basically steel legs with a purchased top. I am planning on making my own when I have the time (A lot of other things on the list above that). After using what I have for several years, I think a router table should be personalized for what you use it for.

My next one will probably be 24"x36", with the opening offset to the left. This allows more room for a fence system (Incra, Jointech) if you have one. I also prefer the Jointech router table design, but that is mainly because if lends itself to the offset router.

Of course, if space (and $$) was not an issue, I'd go as large as a table saw, with the router mounted underneath on rails (powered of course) to slide in and out for bit removal. Then I'd have to have a powered lift as well...

-Ryan

Jason Morgan
02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but Im going with Ed's design. Just drew up the plans for a 44x30. This gives me plenty of drawers and plenty of width on the drawers. Ill try to post pics as I go. I hope to get the PW this weekend, I already have the MDF.

Ed Labadie
02-24-2006, 1:31 PM
Jason,
Let me know if you need any more pics or dimensions. I'm more than willing to help.

Ed