PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this ?

Frank Parker
02-23-2006, 9:01 PM
I was given two tree trunks from a person who just moved in to a house so he had no idea what kind of wood they were. There was no foilage or limbs They were clean logs. Here are some photos of the rounds, the bark and the grain inside.
Any help would be great.
Frank

John Hart
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
Wow Frank...That's beautiful stuff!!! The bark sorta looks like cherry but the wood looks like a cross between Koa and Hickory. Whatever it is....It's gonna be awesome! congratulations!:)

Corey Hallagan
02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I have no idea but yah got yourself a cool chunk-a-wood! Congrats!

Corey

Bob Noles
02-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Frank,

I can't help as to what you may have there, but I can say that it is some awesome looking wood for sure.

I will be interested to see what it turns out to be.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Frank........I'm not sure what kind of wood that is but it appears like it would make a beautiful bowl!

Joe Tonich
02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Frank,

That's 'Dunno' wood. ;) :D

Everything I've seen made from it looks pretty cool. This piece looks like it will be AWESOME!!! :D :D

Can't wait to see what it becomes.

Joe

Frank Parker
02-23-2006, 10:25 PM
I've got about 4 of those rounds and there about 2'-6" by 18" to 24" across. I've got a differant tree about the same that I don't know what kind it is either. I'll post pictures of it when I get a slab cut off.
Frank

Keith Burns
02-23-2006, 10:36 PM
I don't know what it is but it looks HAZARDOUS ! As a certified wood checkerouter you are advised to send it to me for proper disposal :D

Andy Hoyt
02-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Looks like Birthdaywood to me. Can ya hang onto it until December?

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Wow Frank. That is some mighty fine looking wood there. Can't wait to see it turned.

Jim Dunn
02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
I don't know what it is but it looks HAZARDOUS ! As a certified wood checkerouter you are advised to send it to me for proper disposal :D

Did you re-new your Federal license?? Hmmmmmm?? If not your only good for semi-hazadous stuff from around a waste treatment facility. I've got plenty of that.

It is beautiful wood. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Ernie Nyvall
02-23-2006, 11:32 PM
The bark does look like some kind of fruit tree. Wonder what California olive wood looks like or maybe almond. Just guessing.

Ernie

John Shuk
02-24-2006, 4:06 PM
I was thinking russian olive

Paul Douglass
02-24-2006, 10:22 PM
I was thinking Russian Olive but the bark doesn't look like the russian olive that is around where I live.

Frank Parker
02-24-2006, 11:35 PM
I have a small piece of olive and the smell is differant. I took another photo of the bark higher up on the log it's alot smoother. I also took some more pictures of the slabs from it, the slabs on the left are another mystery wood that I'll post in another thread.
Frank

Ernie Nyvall
02-25-2006, 6:41 AM
Well Frank, on further inspection of your pics, I really need four or five slabs in hand to really tell you what it is.:D

Ernie

Chris Barton
02-25-2006, 8:38 AM
I believe the technical term is "Good Wood".

Kurt Johansson
02-25-2006, 3:11 PM
Hello Frank.

Unfortunately my English is not that good but I am writing anyhow.
To me your wooden sample looks like Laburnum, probably Laburnum Anagyroides, a very good wood for turning.
I know that the berries from Laburnum are toxic but I am not sure if the wood is risky. Look for toxic woods on the net.
Sincerely
Kurt Johansson.Sweden

Ernie Nyvall
02-25-2006, 3:52 PM
Hello Frank.

Unfortunately my English is not that good but I am writing anyhow.
To me your wooden sample looks like Laburnum, probably Laburnum Anagyroides, a very good wood for turning.
I know that the berries from Laburnum are toxic but I am not sure if the wood is risky. Look for toxic woods on the net.
Sincerely
Kurt Johansson.Sweden

Welcome to the Creek Kurt. You did fine with your English.

You are a man from my Great Grandfather's country. There is a city named Nyvall, Sweden which is where my family name originated.

Ernie

Frank Parker
02-25-2006, 9:41 PM
My friend with the microscope said he came up with Honey locust, Does that sound right to you.
Frank

Glenn Clabo
02-26-2006, 8:56 AM
Välkommen Kurt!

Glad to see you have joined here at SMC and hope you enjoy sharing your woodturning knowledge. Your english is fine so please do not be shy.

Don Orr
02-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Frank, I did some searching for Laburnum and could not find any photos of the wood itself. Everything I did find said BE CAREFUL-POISONOUS ! To me on the east coast it looks like Staghorn Sumac but it does not get that big around here. If it is sumac (not poison !!), it is fairly soft and the sap is a little sticky. Turns okay with sharp tools and stays kind of greenish yellow in color. If it's very hard and gets very dark like ebony,it is most likely Laburnum.
Good Luck, Don.

Kurt Johansson
02-26-2006, 1:50 PM
Hello Ernie.
I found out that the place Nyvall you mention is a fairly small village in the commune of Arvidsjaur, Lappland. Northern Sweden.
I myself am from the village Moskosel in the same commune but I am now living in the southernmost part of Sweden.
Kurt

Fred Ray
02-27-2006, 1:07 PM
My friend with the microscope said he came up with Honey locust, Does that sound right to you.
Frank

Too dark for any honey locust I've seen arond the South.

Fred

Joe Melton
02-27-2006, 2:02 PM
If you take a piece to a local tree surgeon, he will probably know right off what it is.
Nice wood, anyway.
Joe

Quinn McCarthy
02-27-2006, 4:20 PM
Looks like black locust to me.