PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my dust bin level sensor hooked up

Matt Meiser
02-23-2006, 6:31 PM
I finally found all the parts to complete a project I've been wanting to do for a long time--add a level indicator to my dust bin to indicate that it is full. I found the level indicator on Ebay. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be as good of a deal as I thought and I had to buy a part from the manufacturer to complete it. The extra part cost more than I paid for the sensor. :mad: I still paid about what the Penn State sensor costs though, and based on the fact that that is all plastic and mine is all metal, I think I still got a decent deal.

The motor in the sensor is wired to only run when the blower is running. When the sensor sees a full bin, it turns on a strobe light that I mounted in a highly visible part of the shop. I may try finding a brighter strobe, but overall I think this system will work very well for me.

I had to try it out tonight, so I ran some 2x4 cutoffs through the planer until I fille the bin the rest of the way. Now I have to empty it though--that annoying light keeps going off! :D

Boyd Gathwright
02-23-2006, 6:48 PM
I finally found all the parts to complete a project I've been wanting to do for a long time--add a level indicator to my dust bin to indicate that it is full. I found the level indicator on Ebay. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be as good of a deal as I thought and I had to buy a part from the manufacturer to complete it. The extra part cost more than I paid for the sensor. :mad: I still paid about what the Penn State sensor costs though, and based on the fact that that is all plastic and mine is all metal, I think I still got a decent deal.

The motor in the sensor is wired to only run when the blower is running. When the sensor sees a full bin, it turns on a strobe light that I mounted in a highly visible part of the shop. I may try finding a brighter strobe, but overall I think this system will work very well for me.

I had to try it out tonight, so I ran some 2x4 cutoffs through the planer until I fille the bin the rest of the way. Now I have to empty it though--that annoying light keeps going off! :D
.... I kind of like your idea, Matt. Nothing worse than to have the system backup. I have been thing about venting to the outside during the warmer months. Never have quite accepted (trusted) the filtering on my own system ;).

Matt Meiser
02-23-2006, 7:06 PM
I've already abandoned the filters and have started blowing the exhaust outside year round. Its still messy to overfill the bin though.

Boyd Gathwright
02-23-2006, 7:43 PM
I've already abandoned the filters and have started blowing the exhaust outside year round. Its still messy to overfill the bin though.
... Matt, could I see, and probably others would be just as interested, a pic or 2 or 3 of how you have ducked to the outside. Where on the building did you enter the outside and how high did you run the duck work before venting :)?