PDA

View Full Version : Squatty Pot/Calipers

Chris DiCiaccio
02-23-2006, 4:39 PM
Well, If these work out, it will save me a few bucks. Top one has a 6" reach and the bottom one an 8 1/2" reach. Haven't tried them yet. We'll see. Squat Pot is 2 1/2 x 2 3/8 Persimmon. Wanted to practice a more rounded shape. Phone camera is a little fuzzy today.

Frank Chaffee
02-23-2006, 5:18 PM
Chris,
Those are terrific calipers! Have you outfitted them with graduations so you can directly read wall thickness w/o removing them from a vessel?

Are you intending to also construct an ID set with complementary depth graduations so you can do ID/OD comparisons?

Cool!
Frank

Jim Dunn
02-23-2006, 5:42 PM
Chris those are the real deal for calipers. Your work, both flat and round, is very impressive.

Jim

Keith Burns
02-23-2006, 6:00 PM
Great calipers Chris:) I just have trouble pumping myself up to make tools but you did great on those:) Nice little squat pot as well:)

John Hart
02-23-2006, 6:14 PM
Cool lil' squat pot Chris! We gotta do something about that focus! Maybe try a new number?:confused: :D

On the calipers...Are they friction tight? How do you measure with them? Sorry for my ignorance.

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2006, 7:03 PM
Chris they look great and I think they will work well for you. Great work on both.

Bill Stevener
02-23-2006, 7:24 PM
If one was to grade your calipers, they would receive an A+.
I have given up on the things to do list.
It is now called a "maybe some day" list.
Nice job, did you calibrate them?;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Chris DiCiaccio
02-23-2006, 7:44 PM
Chris,
Those are terrific calipers! Have you outfitted them with graduations so you can directly read wall thickness w/o removing them from a vessel?

Are you intending to also construct an ID set with complementary depth graduations so you can do ID/OD comparisons?

Cool!
Frank

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I have penciled in calibrations on them, just hard to see in the pic. As to the others you mentioned. No plans for them. I have a store bought set by Groz. Have a great night.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-23-2006, 7:46 PM
If one was to grade your calipers, they would receive an A+.
I have given up on the things to do list.
It is now called a "maybe some day" list.
Nice job, did you calibrate them?;)

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Thanks Bill. Yes, I have penciled in calibrations on them, just hard to see in the pic. I will probably add a small pointer as well. Have a great night.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-23-2006, 7:49 PM
Cool lil' squat pot Chris! We gotta do something about that focus! Maybe try a new number?:confused: :D

On the calipers...Are they friction tight? How do you measure with them? Sorry for my ignorance.

I agree about the focus. Hopefully soon. Yes, they are friction tight. I just put them in place and read from the graduations penciled on the handles.Have a great night. Thanks for the view and comments.

Barry Stratton
02-23-2006, 8:48 PM
Nice Squat pot! Love the shape.

Those calipers are a great idea. Did you cut those on a scroll saw??????

Chris DiCiaccio
02-23-2006, 8:55 PM
Nice Squat pot! Love the shape.

Those calipers are a great idea. Did you cut those on a scroll saw??????

Thanks! Both were cut on the bandsaw except for the finger holes which were done with a forstner bit and jig saw to clean up. Hope this helps. Have a great night.

Mike Ramsey
02-23-2006, 9:31 PM
Great job on all Chris! Really like the shopmade calipers!! On my things
to make list. How about posting a full size pattern so's I don't have
to work as hard as you did?:rolleyes: .

Chris DiCiaccio
02-23-2006, 9:39 PM
Great job on all Chris! Really like the shopmade calipers!! On my things
to make list. How about posting a full size pattern so's I don't have
to work as hard as you did?:rolleyes: .

I don't have a pattern, I just free handed it on the ply by looking at this website link. Not original with me.

http://www.turnedwood.com/tools&jigs.html#Caliper

Corey Hallagan
02-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Great looking round pot. Wouldn't of known where to start on the calipers! Nice Work!

corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Cool calipers Chris. I like your squat pot.

Ernie