PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw clunk/clank/bump

Noel Hegan
02-23-2006, 4:01 PM
I know this has been discussed on every WW board on the web but I just wanted to know if there were any fresh thoughts on the issue.
I've checked and reset the collar on the elevating shaft, checked the grub screws on the motor and arbour pulleys and played about with belt tension. Belts are currently slack which I prefer.
I've even thought about link belts but I'm not sure they're suitable for a cabinet saw.
I did read somewhere about a rubber bumpstop just above the motor but could never find it.
The noise happens in about 9 out 10 start ups and, depending on blade position and blade type, can be very pronounced or not too loud.
Cutting performance is excellent and there is no excess vibration.
Saw is an '02 3 HP LT model with 50" rails and sits on a Delta mobile base on a concrete floor and needs to be mobile.
TIA

Noel

JayStPeter
02-23-2006, 5:38 PM
Replacing the belts really helped mine. I didn't use link belts, but will next time.

Jay

Jim Becker
02-23-2006, 5:45 PM
I had that problem with my Jet LT Cabinet saw...replaced the belts and it went away. (I did use link belts with great results, despite the warnings that they are not the best for a three belt arrangement)

Noel Hegan
02-23-2006, 7:20 PM
Thanks Jim & Jay. Although it would be hard to get decent belts over here I do have some PowerTwist belt which I'll try.

Noel