PDA

View Full Version : Bowl critique please

Quinn McCarthy
02-23-2006, 3:19 PM
Here is one of my first segmented bowls. I would love some input on what I could have done better(size, shape,technique). It is cherry and hickory and is 6" wide and 4 3/8" tall. I have not buffed out the finish yet.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Quinn

Cecil Arnold
02-23-2006, 4:12 PM
First let me say I only wish I could do one that good. The only thing I can offer is that the top could have more curve to it before it gets to the cherry part as it seems to be a pretty straight line from the widest part up to the top.

Bill Stevener
02-23-2006, 4:16 PM
Hi Quin,
That's quite a nice bowl. In segmented work, in respect to your question, the size and shape is generally in the eyes of the artist. It's up to the artist to deliver what he-she had envisioned. Kinda like a painting, some just adore it and yet others never see a thing. Technique -- all the glue up joints that one can see, seem to be right on. The finish looks smooth, clean and no tool or sanding marks are evident.
Looks like you did a fine job to me. You will find there are some that don't like segmented work at all, could be they just never tried it, and really don't fully understand what's truly involved, to really appreciate it.

Thanks for showing your work,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
02-23-2006, 4:35 PM
I've always admired the effort that goes into segmented work...mainly because I don't think I stand a chance with my impatience factor. I like this one very much...especially the "droopy" look to the widest part reminds me of a Hershey's Kiss....a form that I've been trying real hard to emulate. Very nice.:)

Rich Stewart
02-23-2006, 5:15 PM
I think Bill hit the nail on the head. I don't have any idea how you segment guys make them joints so tight. I tried gluing TWO pieces together and I couldn't get the joints right. Can't imagine trying a whole bunch of pieces. Great looking bowl. Beautiful finish. Nice job.

Keith Burns
02-23-2006, 6:14 PM
Quinn, I think it is a fine looking piece with a nice form:) The only thing I see (and it may be the photography) is that some joints, especially in the second photo, seem to have a slight gap. Other than that one thing I thing you have done a fine job. Keep it up cause you'll find here at the Creek there aren't many of us demented segmenters:D

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2006, 7:02 PM
Great job Quinn. I tried one and it blew apart. I hope my next one is half as good as yours. Great finish to. I agree with Bill I think you are the one to determine size and shape. Each of us will see something different.

Jim Dunn
02-23-2006, 7:13 PM
Quinn great execution on the segements and turning the finished produce. Very nice indeed. Did you do it with mustard or mayo? Inquiring minds gots to know.

George Troy Hurlburt
02-23-2006, 8:24 PM
I don't like being a critic especially on someone just starting with segmented turning. So I will give some check points. Test cuts are important to get your setting spot on. Your blade should be a 90 degree. After you cut a ring ,test it with a hose clamp to see if you can see any daylight. If you do re ajust and cut until you do. A disc sander works good to flaten rings up to 6" in diameter. For larger rings you can belt sand, use your button jaws, use a safety planner. You can use double stick tape to hold while flating on a wood disc mounted on the lathe.You have done a good job on lining up joints. For your board stock mark total face before sawing your strips. You should number in the following sequence to keep your grain all going the same way. If 8 pcs. like the following: glue to each 1,3,5,7, 8,6,4,2. If 12pcs. go 1,3,5,7,9,11, 12,10,8,6,4,2. I have a segmented site with basics instructions and drawings you can take a look at. Keep at the more you do the better you get. Thanks for showing your work. GT

www.georgetroygraphics.com

Dennis Peacock
02-23-2006, 8:38 PM
Looks just fine to be Quinn.....Nice job on your first seg turning.

Corey Hallagan
02-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Very nice! I appreciate the time you took to glue this up and then turn. I am like John H, just don't have that kind of patience. Great job and thanks for sharing!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Nice job Quinn.

Ernie

Quinn McCarthy
02-24-2006, 8:47 AM
Thanks guys for all of the input and compliments. I was ready for a "shellacing". Bill I thought about what you said and you are correct it should like what I wanted it to. That's good advice. George I checked out your web site and it has some great info on it.

Thanks Everyone.