PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection for older Craftsman jointer

Roy Bennett
02-23-2006, 1:44 PM
I have an older (~1980) Craftsman 113.232240 6" jointer without any dust collection. Have any of you added a dust chute to this or similar machines? Looks like a fairly simple sheet metal chute inside the base would work, but how do you accomodate the drive belt?

Mike Evertsen
02-23-2006, 2:35 PM
when I had a old craftsman jointer my dust collector was a cardboard box underneath it collected all the big stuff.

jon harriman
02-24-2006, 8:01 AM
That is exactly what I use under my Crafstman jointer. The cardboard box catches maybe 65% of the shavings that come out of the jointer. I use those shavings to start fires in the woodstove that heats my garage.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-24-2006, 8:46 AM
Sorry Roy, I'm not familiar with your Jointer, but on my old jointer I built a chute out of plywood.

I works very well.

If the motor and belt are in the way, could you move the motor so a different location somehow to accommodate the dust chute?

Have you checked with Sears to see if there is a dust chute accessory offered?

Sorry I cannot be of much more help.

Cheers!

Tyler Howell
02-24-2006, 9:23 AM
Me three on the Box. Most of the stuff is small chips as you know rather than the fine incidious dust. I still wouldn't risk it in this day and age.
I did see a rube goldberg DC at the old tool bone yard.
Owner closed in the sides of the Cman stand with ply wood. and used another piece of ply as a slide to a 4" port. No Idea how it worked.

Bart Leetch
02-24-2006, 9:42 AM
Roy I don't know which model you have but mine was made in 1997 & has adjustable front & back tables & had a sheet metal cabinet. I used a square aluminum cake pan (thrift store purchase) & cut a 4" hole half in the side & half in the bottom of the pan & hot glued inside & outside of the pan a bell mouthed end of a piece of 4" PVC so it went down & out under the in-feed table & placed my shop built blast gate right there the pan was either screwed or pop riveted in place it worked like a champ.

I used this arraignment for a number of years & then made a new cabinet. Sorry for the poor picture I didn't have a digital camera back then.

Guy Boulianne
02-24-2006, 11:35 AM
... Most of the stuff is small chips as you know rather than the fine incidious dust.

Euh..... You should have seen the dust cloud elevating from the pile when a friend of mine came to mill some Mahogany last december.... It could depend on the wood spieces and/or the fact that a clear color wood dust (maple or ash as exemple) is less visible...

Guy

Bill Lewis
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
How about an alternative to the cardboard box. Like a bag that snaps to the support frame. Kinda like the one that I seen for contractor saws. You might even be able to use the same one.

My first jointer was a 6" Delta with the integral motor, but not the benchtop model, this one had a stand (they don't make it any more). I used some sheet metal, and HVAC parts to make a dust chute/outlet. You could do a similar thing by boxing in the stand including the motor. Maybe adding a chute internally, just to direct the chips to the port.

Steve Clardy
02-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Just a large cardboard box. And as above, the chips are used to help start my woodstove.
Always though about encloseing it with ply, and hooking up a dust port. But if the belt or something goes haywire, then I'd be tearing it apart to get to it.