PDA

View Full Version : stile and rail bits for glass door inserts

Ace Karner
07-31-2003, 7:42 PM
I,m starting a project to make some bi-fold shutters with stained glass inserts, so I went searching for router bits. First I went to Sommerfiedld to look at the CMT set, but since it was over $150.00 with shipping I decide to look further.

I went to RouterBits.com and when I went to the following URL
http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-routerbits/sr.cgi?1059689499_28120+81

I found a tip at the bottom of the page how to reconfigure a two bit stile and rail set to make cuts for glass insert doors. I tryed it out with an Amana set I had and it works great.

Guess that if Poor Richard was right that I earned $150.00 today in just a few minutes, and you can bet that I'll buy my next router bits from RouterBits.com.

Steve Clardy
08-01-2003, 9:38 AM
I've considered buying a set, but with two r&s sets now---. I do buy a lot of Whitesides from these people. Great service.
I'll go look at their tip and check it out. Steve

Bob Lasley
08-01-2003, 9:43 AM
Ace,

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing it. I will certainly give it a try next time I need to make doors with glass panels.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-01-2003, 9:44 AM
If you were going to do a lot of glass doors, a dedicated set designed for them would probably be a good investment, especially something like the Freud that provides an exactly matched wood strip to hold the glass once you assemble the door. (A pinner is used to hold in the strips, yet let them be removable) These cutters make the glass look like it "grew there" as you don't see any fasteners, etc.

The methodology shown in the link from the original post is interesting, however, especially if you use a single bit cutter system for rails and stiles.

Byron Trantham
08-01-2003, 5:52 PM
sells a bit for glass doors. I think I paid about $40 for it. I have built a ton of glass doors with this bit. Unlike the Freud bit, you have to cut the retaining strips. It can get a little dicey cutting 1/4"x1/4" strips on a table saw! :(

Ace Karner
08-01-2003, 6:54 PM
sells a bit for glass doors. I think I paid about $40 for it. I have built a ton of glass doors with this bit. Unlike the Freud bit, you have to cut the retaining strips. It can get a little dicey cutting 1/4"x1/4" strips on a table saw! :(

I like to make quarter round trim, I round over the edges on the router table and then rip the trim on the bandsand, works great. I mount them with small brass pins, I really like the look.

Ace

Phil Phelps
08-01-2003, 8:47 PM
..than single strength glass, Ace. You know the lead came and soldier will probably be about 5/16" thick or better. So, you probably will want the frame to be as thick as your rail and style will allow.