PDA

View Full Version : Jet 18" band saw, worth it?

Julio Navarro
02-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a Jet 18" bandsaw model number JBS-18. any experiancve with this model, what should be the price for this?

Thanks

Charles McKinley
02-24-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi Julio,

WHich guides does this saw have on it, the blocks or the roller bearings? I have the model with the bearings and have been happy with it so far. Keith Otten put up a review of this saw after he bought one. I have no knowledge ofthe older one. My rule of thumb for used equipment is 40- 60% of new so 440 to 660 would be a fair price forthe saw depending on condition. The trunions on my saw are not as sturdy as I would like. I always make sure to check square after putting big bowl blanks on it.

Greg Hairston
02-24-2006, 1:29 PM
Julio,
I think you can do a lot better than the jet. A few year ago there was little competition on the market in its price range so the Jet was the small shop leader in 18in Bandsaws. I had one and upgraded to a MM-16. There is no comparison of the two. The MM-16 is also out of that price range. I found the Jet to be under-constructed and under powered and not enough cutting height for an 18inch saw. Shop around and spend a few pennies more and you can get a good Bandsaw for the money.

Greg

Norman Hitt
02-24-2006, 2:56 PM
Julio, I was close, (actually went in to buy) a new Jet 18" about 3 yrs ago, but after visiting a tool store that was also a Jet Svc Ctr in the DFW area and looking it over closely, I changed my mind and later bought a MiniMax, for the same reasons Greg mentioned. In addition to what he said, the Svc Ctr Technician also told me that they had replaced "Several" Wheel Arbors that had broken, and didn't know if it was a casting flaw or what. I would assume that they have taken care of that by now, but who knows.

Jet had been the leader as Greg said in that size range because of the price point and not a lot of competition in that area for a while, But there have been a lot of improvements and better competition since then.

Just look around carefully before you buy, and good luck on your Hunt.

Mike Wenzloff
02-24-2006, 3:35 PM
Hi Julio,

I have the referenced model. The new version has an increased cutting height, but trust me, no matter which BS you get, chances are you'll find planks you cannot resaw due to height limitations.

The Jet 18" BS has met most of my needs over the years I have had it. I regularly resaw 9" Bubinga, wide Cocobolo and Purpleheart with it. Aside from all the other cutting tasks. I rarely use a tablesaw. It's not even in my shop, it's in storage.

I cut tenons, rip ply, resaw all our handle wood etc. with mine everyday. It has never bogged down and has resawn as fast as it needs to.

Are there better saws? Absolutely. Only you know how much you are willing to invest. Good blades are a must. For general resawing and everday cutting I use WoodSlicers from Highland Hardware.

Take care, Mike

Larry Craft
02-24-2006, 10:43 PM
I have the older Jet 18" bandsaw. Plenty of power - never had it stall while resawing. Timberwolf blades made a real difference. Haven't had any problems except one - The lower blade guide are a PITA! PITA! PITA! to adjust.

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Not sure what I'd get instead, but I've not been impressed with the JET. Vibration, lower guides PITA, fence not straight, fence won't lock down consistently, 'undependable' drift...

I had no problems with my JET 14"....and I shoulda kept it.

KC

Julio Navarro
02-25-2006, 3:14 PM
Thanks all, sadly I lost the bidding on that one, but this is great great advice, I appreciate it tremendously.

Charles McKinley
02-25-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi Julio,

Never regret losing an auction. Know what you are buying. Set your price early and stick to it. I love auctions but time and again I have seen people pay more for used and some times really abused equipment than it can be bought brand new. I have also seen really nice stuff go for a song and I know my singing isn't worth much.

Have you tried some of the other auction sites? woodweb.com has a nice classified ad section and a lot of equipment auction site advertise there.

Good luck on your search,

Julio Navarro
02-26-2006, 9:43 AM
Thanks Charles, I'll keep checking on woodweb.