PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to WI

Bill Grumbine
02-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Greetings all

Yesterday I posted some questions about flying to WI, and as a result, I have gotten a bunch of emails, private messages, and responses asking for details. So, here goes.

I am traveling out to do a two day demonstration for the Coulee Region Woodturners in LaCrosse WI. I was contacted by their programs person and invited to come out and do my thing on April 22 and 23. I have contacted a couple of other clubs to see if there is any interest in my being at one of their meetings as well, but I do not know how that will turn out. These things can move pretty slowly, and who knows, they may not have ever heard of me. :eek:

But, I have never been out to WI, and I would be very interested in meeting up with anyone here who has the time and the inclination to do so. I do not want to make this look like an ad of any sort, so I will not say anything along those lines, and will keep it strictly social. But, I can arrange to extend my stay if need be. ;)

I have been contacted in various ways by folks here interested in attending my demo, and I would be glad to see you there. If you are reading this and would like to attend, you will need to contact the proper person at that club. PM or email me for the email address. I have no say on who can or cannot come, and I know there is a space limitation, although I do not know what it is.

In any case, I would love to meet up with as many people as I can even if all we do is shake hands and share a piece of cheese. I will post more as I learn it, and I will look forward to seeing at least some of you while I am out there!

Bill

Jim Stoppleworth
02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Greetings all

In any case, I would love to meet up with as many people as I can even if all we do is shake hands and share a piece of cheese. I will post more as I learn it, and I will look forward to seeing at least some of you while I am out there!

Bill

Bill,

While in LaCrosse be sure and enjoy a Heilemans brewski and some brats along with that good Wisconsin cheese .
If it wasn't the start of our busy season here at the store I'd use it as an excuse to go home and visit family and drive over to LaCrosse to see the demo.

Is DVD2 on schedule? If I'm not supposed to ask that here, I apologize.

Stoppy

Karl Laustrup
02-23-2006, 5:58 PM
Bill, I'm not sure I could attend the demo, but I would certainly like to venture up to La Crosse to meet you if the moving into new house doesn't interfere. I'm only about an hour and a half away. Keep us posted please.

Karl

Bill Grumbine
02-23-2006, 8:45 PM
Stoppy, unless something really bad happens, one month from today I will be sitting with my producer quaffing beers after the first day of shooting.

Karl, I will be posting updates as my adventure develops.

I have a six hour layover in Chicago. I was talking with SWMBO and suggested that I buy a bottle of cheap whiskey and keep it in the bag. I might be able to blend right in down by the station! :p

Bill

Cecil Arnold
02-23-2006, 9:11 PM
No Bill, down by the station it's Mad Dog 20/20, cheap whiskey costs too much.

John Bailey
02-24-2006, 6:27 AM
Careful Bill,

The Cheeseheads are a bit strange to begin with, and then you add to it you'll be working with turners....my, oh my!!:D

John

Chip Sutherland
02-25-2006, 7:56 PM
I recommend you fly American....connect through Dallas-Ft Worth...I'll throw my mini in the van, borrow a generator from my church and setup outside the terminal. Hopefully the TSA and Homeland security guys won't mind.
:D

Tyler Howell
03-08-2006, 4:19 PM
Hey Cheesy types. Bill Grumbine's coming to our neck of the woods. I thought maybe an informal get together would be in order.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31806 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31806)

As of this writing he is free Friday 4/21/06. I was thinking of heading down that way and getting into all kinds of wood chip trouble.
How does a 4:30 meet time sound??
Some real nice eat places downtown and there is a neander antique shop about 30 miles south that I want to check out earlier in the day.
Got any other ideas or suggestions I'm open.

Steve Ash
03-08-2006, 4:22 PM
John and Karl, you guys still got that slingshot propelling device handy? Might need it to cross that big pond again to get to Cheesehead land.

Seriously you guys, sounds like it would be a good time to meet up with some of you.

Dale Thompson
03-08-2006, 9:28 PM
Hey Cheesy types. Bill Grumbine's coming to our neck of the woods. I thought maybe an informal get together would be in order.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31806 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31806)

As of this writing he is free Friday 4/21/06. I was thinking of heading down that way and getting into all kinds of wood chip trouble.
How does a 4:30 meet time sound??
Some real nice eat places downtown and there is a neander antique shop about 30 miles south that I want to check out earlier in the day.
Got any other ideas or suggestions I'm open.

Hey Howl,
I would sure like to make it and I may even bring my WWing cousin who just moved back to this area from California after 47 years. The first thing that comes to mind, however, is that, while LaCrosse is geographically in God's Country, it is dangerously close to "Thong Heaven". With that said, I think that a few shots of my special mix of battery acid, coal tar and Wild turkey may overcome my inhibitions. :cool: :eek:

I don't know LaCrosse so I have no "meeting place" suggestions. I do, however, have two moral limitations:
- The place can't be fancy! I'm not ALLOWED in fancy places. :o :(
- No drug has yet been invented that allows me to enter places where thongs are accepted attire for guys! :eek:

If you are going to set up the "meeting place", I hope that the second one is not too "limiting" for you!? ;) :D

THIS SOUNDS GREAT !!

Dale T.

Karl Laustrup
03-09-2006, 5:50 AM
Hey Spring!!!!

You wanna make a road trip? Let me know. I'm ready. If you can find your way up to the hacienda, I'll pilot from there. You need a day off.

Karl

Jim Sample
03-11-2006, 9:47 AM
This idea of an informal get to gather sounds great on Friday evening. I plan to come in for the 2 days, traveling East from the Prairies of South Dakota. This La Crosse bunch are great guys having been to several of their meetings (Alan Lacer, Jamie Donaldson, etc.).

Will look forward to a SC gathering.

Jim Sample :) :) :)

Dennis Peacock
03-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Stoppy, unless something really bad happens, one month from today I will be sitting with my producer quaffing beers after the first day of shooting.
Bill

Hey Bill......

Don't forget to send me my signed copy of your 2nd DVD!!!!! I'll send ya the money for a PRE-Order is you want.:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Bill Grumbine
03-12-2006, 7:04 PM
Hi guys! I just got home from the finishing class at Alan Turner's new school with Jeff Jewitt. What a great time, and I even managed to learn a few things. It looks like I will be trying a new way to finish some of my harder to finish pieces, like natural edged burls, wing bowls, etc. I will try to get some pics posted soon.

Dennis, I will be sure to scribble on one for you, but you can hold off on sending money for a while!

Jim, I will look forward to meeting you along with all the others out there!

Bill

Steve Clardy
03-12-2006, 7:38 PM
Hey Howl,
I would sure like to make it and I may even bring my WWing cousin who just moved back to this area from California after 47 years. The first thing that comes to mind, however, is that, while LaCrosse is geographically in God's Country, it is dangerously close to "Thong Heaven". With that said, I think that a few shots of my special mix of battery acid, coal tar and Wild turkey may overcome my inhibitions. :eek:

I don't know LaCrosse so I have no "meeting place" suggestions. I do, however, have two moral limitations:
- The place can't be fancy! I'm not ALLOWED in fancy places. :o
- No drug has yet been invented that allows me to enter places where thongs are accepted attire for guys! :eek:

If you are going to set up the "meeting place", I hope that the second one is not too "limiting" for you!? ;) :D

THIS SOUNDS GREAT !!

Dale T.

THONG HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Dale Thompson
03-12-2006, 9:16 PM
THONG HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

Hi Georgeous,
If thongs are acceptable, I can assure you that world class beauty from the land of, "Show Me" would be MORE than welcome!! ;) :) EGADS!! I am presently working on reversing the flow direction of the "Big Muddy" just to bask in the glow of a "pretty face" when the water passes through LaCrosse. :cool: ;) :)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
03-12-2006, 9:27 PM
there is a neander antique shop about 30 miles south that I want to check out

Hey Howl,
With regard to the, "neander antique shop", did you mean "check out" or was it a more realistic "check in"???. :confused: :) Just askin'! ;) :)

Dale T.