PDA

View Full Version : Low Angle Block Plane. Need Advice.

Joe_Ott
02-21-2003, 8:41 AM
Hi all.

I'm looking for a Low Angle Block plane. I guess I've narrowed the choices down to either the Lie-Nielson or the Veritas low angle block planes.

Can you provide your experiences and/or thoughts? My purpose for wanting a low angle block plane is for the fine stuff as well as end grain. My current planes (including standard angle block plane) just don't do well with end grain. Yes, they are tuned well (I think).

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Ken Garlock
02-21-2003, 9:03 AM
never look back. I have the same plane you are looking at. I can't compare it the the LV plane, but I am really happy with the low angle block plane from L-N.

I bought mine through Garrret Wade. They are easy to deal with....

Jim Fuller
02-21-2003, 9:06 AM
I have a low angle LN 164 that I think is great. I also think that Lee Valley has quality tools and you would probably be just as satisfied with the LV at a lower price. Now why recommend a LN?
Well I have seen them on e-bay (more than a couple of times) sell for more than they cost new! If you want a high dollar plane such as an LN you need to shop around, all prices aren't the same. As for using on end grain, I have had real good luck with my 164, it was good looking and cut great right out of the box, after sharpening it cut even better. Look at Fine Tool Journal, you will see the LN planes at list. If you will give him your e-mail address he will send you lower prices. :)

Dave Anderson NH
02-21-2003, 9:41 AM
choice. Both are top of the line in both quality and performance. I have the LV since I didn't see any point in spending the extra money for just the looks. IMHO, the LV has a slightly better and more positive adjustment system while the L-N is of course much prettier. You would be happy with either and both would give you excellant performance.

Tom Scott
02-21-2003, 9:47 AM
I agree with the above. You can't go wrong with the L-N. I have the L-N LA block plane as well and love it. It is always sitting on my bench.
That said, Veritas makes great tools and I'm sure these would work just as well for you. To me, the difference between the 2 is aesthetics. With the Lee Valley / Veritas tools, you get a great tool that looks more like the average tool. With the L-N, you get a great tool that looks like an heirloom. So, it just depends on where your priorities lie.

Tom

Robert Goodwin
02-21-2003, 9:49 AM
I don't have either, but I was having the same problem deciding which one I would get ( when the funds become available ). I got to try the LN recently, and wow. Looks don't mean better results, but for me it makes the woodworking experience that much better.

Rob

Howard Rosenberg
02-21-2003, 10:04 AM
either company's tools. To a certain degree there might be a slight variance in operation or feel in one or the other and you should see if you can try them out.
If $ aren't an issue, the L-N is a real premium piece. The LV is just as competent.
FWIW, I've got the LV as I couldn't justify the $ difference and love it!
The worst that'll happen is you won't go wrong with either of the LA block planes.
Hope this helps.
Howard

Ed Falis
02-21-2003, 11:16 AM
I've got the Veritas. It's a consistent pleasure to use - I'm always reaching for it.

- Ed

Dominic Greco
02-21-2003, 2:15 PM
Some time in the past year, Fine Woodworking did a review of block planes, and they rated the LN the best buy. However, the Lee valley Plane came in at a VERY close second. At this time, I can't remember their reasoning why they choose the LN over the Lee Valley.

I can however, speak from experience about the differences between an old Stanley 60 1/2 and a new LN 60 1/2. I was using the Stanely for about 2 years. It had been taken apart, cleaned up, and sharpened with the Scary Sharp System. It was in top form, and worked pretty well. For Xmas of 2001, I got a LN 60 1/2 low angle block plane. The difference in performace was astonishing! It was like going from riding a big wheel to jumping on the back of a Ninja Motorcycle!

Right out of the box, the LN performed so well, I started using it more and more. Now it seems like I can't go into the shop without using it for something! I HIGHLY reccomend this block plane. Clarance Blanchard at the <A Href="http://www.wowpages.com/ftj/">Fine Tool Journal</A> also has these babies at the lowest prices I've seen. Check out their web site and you'll see for yourself.

Good luck
Dominic Greco