PDA

View Full Version : Griz Baby drum sander delivered

doug webb
02-23-2006, 9:08 AM
It arrived in good shape, no shipping damage. Was packaged in sturdy cardboard with moulded styrofoam top and bottom inside that. Machine wrapped in plastic also. set up : attach handle with supplied allen wrench to lowering mechanism and attach dust hood [ four screws] and check for loose parts and belt tightness, etc. Ran one test board through it and am satisfied with initial results. Sander and variable speed conveyor motor very quiet Shop vac used was louder by far. Shop vac allowed fine dust to cake up. d/c will probably take care of this. Shop is unfinished and hard workout will have to wait. Initial impressions were very favorable. Should compliment my 12 1/2 planer nicely. Doug32584

Maurice Ungaro
02-23-2006, 9:13 AM
Looks pretty neat Doug. Let us know how it does for you when you have time to give it a full workout.

Eric Murphy
02-23-2006, 3:04 PM
Doug,
What is the shipping weight listed on the packing slip/shipping manifest? I know there was some question on one of the forums a few weeks ago about what the shipping weight for this sander was.

Tyler Howell
02-23-2006, 3:10 PM
Interesting D.
Make er roar!!!

Pete Harbin
02-23-2006, 3:34 PM
Nice Doug! What's the width on it?

Pete

Tom Pritchard
02-23-2006, 5:12 PM
That is a neat machine Doug! Can't wait to hear how you like it after giving it a thorough run. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

doug webb
02-24-2006, 4:01 PM
Maurice, it shouldn't be too long before I have used it enough to post more. SWMBO is getting impatient to begin seeing things for her coming out of shop instead of things for me going in.

Eric, shipping weight was 160#....sander weight was 149...Griz lists online and in cat that sander is approx 199#. Not a light weight but portable.

Tyler, as much as I hate sanding you can bet this thing will be roaring a lot.

Pete, the overall width is 22 inches but the sanding width is 12 inches.... I will be able to go from my 12 1/2 inch planer right to the sander.

Tom. I will give it a good work out and let ya'll know the good and bad about it. ..couple minor things i didn't like on first looks but they may prove to be very minor in daily use.

Thanks for taking the time to respond all of you.....doug

nic obie
02-24-2006, 4:10 PM
doug,

I'm looking foward to your review.

nic

Aaron Heck
02-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Looking forward to the review, too!

john tomljenovic
02-27-2006, 12:33 PM
cool, I was looking into one of these...

small question for you Doug. how does the paper affix to the drum? I heard it was hook and loop. is that all the way around? or does the paper ride hard against the aluminum drum?

thanks....and look forward to your review.

doug webb
02-28-2006, 12:29 AM
John, the paper attaches with hook and loop. I haven't had any reason to remove it yet, but it looks like there will be plenty of access space to change the paper.

George Kretschmann
02-28-2006, 7:13 AM
I have never bought any machines from Grizzly myself. I'm intrested in your review also.They look sturdy from the pictures in the book but you never know how accurate they are and how long the machines last. thx gk;)