PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance making a DC decision

Chris Damato
02-23-2006, 8:57 AM
Hi,

I have narrowed my DC choice down to these 2 units..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0548

or

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dc2000bcf.html

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with either of these that will help me decide on which one to go with? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Barry Beech
02-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Lotsa people on here really like the Jet DC1200. I have a harbor freight with a wynn filter. I like it pretty well but won't have it for a long time so I wanted something a little cheaper.

Cecil Arnold
02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Chris, you might want to check Bill Printz site and consider spending a few more $$ to think about a cyclone.

Mike Becker
02-23-2006, 11:36 AM
Chris, last year I went with a PS DC2000 with a canister filter and promptly regretted my decision - the filter clogs very quickly and the crank clean-out did very little good at removing the dust between the filter's pleats. I tore the thing apart for the blower and mounted it to a 6" GMA cyclone.

My shop is only 10'x11' in size and I now have more room for woodworking with the cyclone then I did with the DC2000, or even my old Jet DC650, and I even use 6" PVC ducting!

Save your money and build (Bill Pentz's design is the way to go) or buy a top-rated cyclone... Our lungs are too important to scimp, this was a hard lesson for me to learn.

Bill's Cyclone Dust Collection Research - Home Page
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Mike

Julio Navarro
02-23-2006, 11:42 AM
I recently started researching on Bill Pentz's site and have decided to build the cyclone. I purchased the impeller and housing from Ed Morgano. I am having a metal shop (kitchen hood manufacturer) give me a quote for cutting, constructing the cyclone.

After seeing Stu Ablett's solution I decided this design was the way to go.

Costs so far:
Impeller: $175
Blower Housing: $95
HF motor(5hp 3p, 3540rpms): $70
Impeller bushing (came with wrong size for HF motor): $15

OMG!! $350 so far, ....and no cyclone yet....this thing better work really good!!!:eek:

I spent perhaps $200 on first attempt with a $90 mini HF DC and who knows how much PVC pipe that will have to be replaced once the new cyclone is put to use. Hard lesson learned, but lesson none the less.

I'll post pictures of before and after if any one is interested.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
02-23-2006, 1:44 PM
Hey Julio, nice to see you made it, the water is just fine here at the creek!

Chris, I got to say, just get/build a cyclone, don't waste your money on a bag DC.

Cheers!

Julio Navarro
02-23-2006, 1:54 PM
Hey Stu!

Yup, had to put my 2 cents worth on this one.

lou sansone
02-23-2006, 2:25 PM
a review of many different brands of DC in the style you are thinking about was just done by FWW.. I would recommend reading it

lou

Mike Evertsen
02-23-2006, 2:31 PM
I have the 1029 from grizzly its a good DC and you can't go wrong with the penn state either. just order one or both and you'll be happy.