PDA

View Full Version : Outside Dust Collector

Michael Disorbo
02-22-2006, 9:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice or some pictures of the following. I currently have my dust collector in my shop. I want to place a large collection part outside. I want to pipe it into something large enough so I don't have to go outside and empty it every few hours. I have seen (but cannot locate now) plans to pipe a system to the outside into 2-55 gallon plastic drums for the collector outside then returning it to the indoor system. Basically my indoor system will only be catching the real fine dust and the chips and larger stuff will be left outside. Do you know what I am referring to?

Also, do you think I will loose much heat. The 2-55 gal drums will be in the cold so it should have some effect on the heated air from my shop traveling through them. I heat with wood and coal and have no problem heating the place. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank,

Michael

Matt Meiser
02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
I think this (http://www.oneida-air.com/products/retrofit/drumkits.htm) might be what you are looking for, but it is only for cyclones with a pretty big outlet (10" or 14") However, you really just need a pants wye and some tubing to make it work. I've been considering doing the same thing, but putting mine in the unheated storage are in my shop. This will depend on how well my drum level indicator works once I complete installing it.

This year I gave up and started just piping my exhaust outside and that hasn't made any noticable change in heating my shop. Even if you are returning cooler air to the shop than went out, I don't think you are going to notice.

Andy Hoyt
02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Michael - If the only DC component you place outside is the chip barrel/s, then there will be no issue with heat loss or make-up air since the barrel is essentially an airtight dead-end in the system.

The above statement presumes you're talking about a proper DC system with cyclone and filtration elements.

Keith Outten
02-23-2006, 9:57 AM
Michael,

For the last ten years I have dumped directly to the outside, sometimes to a big plywood box and sometimes I just let it blow. If I am discharging Corian or some other material that is not bio-degradable I definately use the box to collect the effluent.

I don't use bags or filters, I just run the discharge pipe from my DC fan directly though my shop wall to the outside. The temperature drop in my workshop is negligible and I heat with a heat pump. Your wood stove should handle the discharge fine as long as your shop isn't so tight that it pulls the smoke back down the chimney. I have three garage doors in my shop, they leak enough to provide the necessary air flow. I also have a 4" line running upstairs to my shop office that provides exhaust for my laser engraver...never had a problem. You must consider the difference in the climate from Virginia to New York and the fact that I am not in a housing project so I don't have close neighbors.

As long as I live in a rural area I will never, never, ever use bags or filters again. I realize that my technique won't work for most but it is the best fit for me and I enjoy never having to worry about bags filling up or having the mess in my shop to cleanup. As a bonus the performance of my 600 CFM DC is much improved without having the restriction caused by bags and filters.

My .02

Matt Meiser
02-23-2006, 10:07 AM
For the last ten years I have dumped directly to the outside, sometimes to a big plywood box and sometimes I just let it blow.

Pictures! I've been thinking about something like this. How do you empty the box?

Keith Outten
02-23-2006, 1:22 PM
Matt,

I will try to get a couple of pics for you this weekend. My setup is very simple, the DC fan sits in the corner of my shop on the floor under a shelving unit. The discharge line coming out of the top has a 90 degree elbow that rolls toward the wall with a 4 foot piece of pipe going through the wall and into a plywood box outside. The plywood box will last about five years. I am in the process of building a metal box that should outlast me, the frame is welded already I just need to install the sheet metal sides and top.

When I am discharging wood chips I install a 45 ell on the end of the pipe to direct the chips away from the box, if a pile developes I spread it in the field behind my shop. Corian chips and plastic will never fill the chip box, once a year I use a snow shovel to transfer the chips to 30 gallon trash cans and take them to the recycling center. Basically my system only requires attention about two hours per year :)

Matt Meiser
02-23-2006, 3:02 PM
I'd kind of like to have a box that I can scoop out with the loader on the tractor. I do need to somewhat control the dust in case the wind comes from the "wrong" direction. Can't wait to see what you are doing.

Dan Oelke
02-23-2006, 3:35 PM
If you have a cyclone outside and a big area to dump over you could always use a rotary airlock like the big boys do. Never need to stop the blower to change out the barrel and never have to make sure the barrel has an airtight seal to the cyclone.

But they aren't cheap!!! I see some on ebay right now for $400 - $1200. Then again if you are using a 25HP blower for you cyclone this might be a bargain.

Matt Meiser
02-23-2006, 3:48 PM
But they aren't cheap!!! I see some on ebay right now for $400 - $1200. Then again if you are using a 25HP blower for you cyclone this might be a bargain.

None in the 2HP size?

lou sansone
02-23-2006, 8:47 PM
here is my outside unit and I think it has the info that you want
best wishes
lou

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17721

Boyd Gathwright
02-23-2006, 10:37 PM

.... Of great interest, am looking forward to the additional pics :).

Jim Hager
02-24-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice or some pictures of the following. I currently have my dust collector in my shop. I want to place a large collection part outside. I want to pipe it into something large enough so I don't have to go outside and empty it every few hours. I have seen (but cannot locate now) plans to pipe a system to the outside into 2-55 gallon plastic drums for the collector outside then returning it to the indoor system. Basically my indoor system will only be catching the real fine dust and the chips and larger stuff will be left outside. Do you know what I am referring to?

Also, do you think I will loose much heat. The 2-55 gal drums will be in the cold so it should have some effect on the heated air from my shop traveling through them. I heat with wood and coal and have no problem heating the place. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank,

Michael

Like Keith I just blow mine outside. I have two collectors sitting on a steel stand outside the shop operated by remote switches. I simply connected the pipe to the collectors and have a length of pipe for exhaust to direct it into my pile. I use the bucket on the front end loader of my tractor to distribute the pile to my various locations around my place and use it for mulch in flower beds and such. I'm also trying to get my new lawn established in bermuda grass and that stuff just loves to grow in a 2-3 inch layer of rotten sawdust.

I heat with radiant natural gas and don't notice any marked loss of heat in the shop even when working hard all day. Of course I turn my collector on and off each time I use it.

Sorry not pictures.

Steve Clardy
02-24-2006, 11:44 AM
My whole unit sits outside. 4hp 3500cfm.
Never notice a heat loss. Course I have a 4x7 foot ID homebuilt woodstove to heat with.

Matt Meiser
03-06-2006, 7:06 PM
Penn State also carries a kit to collect into two drums, if your cyclone has a 7" discharge. I'm in luck as that's what my cyclone has. The kit is $105 and comes with the wye, hoses, clamps, and drum flanges.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cyddk.html

Russ Massery
03-06-2006, 9:38 PM
By discharging it outside meaning no filter. Do you find you get more suction?

Matt Meiser
03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
In my case yes, because the filters aren't regularly in need of cleaning. Especially once I got a drum sander, too much was getting through to the filters.