PDA

View Full Version : PriceCutter.com Router Bits

Bruce Page
02-22-2006, 9:30 PM
I received their catalog in the mail today and I’m wondering if these are any good. They have some interesting profiles.
Opinions?

scott spencer
02-22-2006, 9:33 PM
I've got a couple Bruce. They offer the "Price Cutter" and "Buddy's Bargain" bits. I find the BB line to be about as good as other Asian made bits from MLCS, Grizzly, Woodcraft, etc. The PC bits are analogous to MLCS' Katana line. They're associated with Eagle America who sells US made bits that are supposed to be top shelf, but I haven't tried those.

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2006, 1:09 AM
Bruce, I have not used these particular bits, but I do get the catalogs in the mail too. When I first started I used 'other' cheap carbide bits and found that I was never happy with the cut quality. I now buy Freud, CMT, or the like. Always good cuts and minimal sanding. Spend the extra and you will be glad you did. I just bought another of Freud's raised panel cabinet door set from Amazon for $88 after discounts. Included raised panel bit 3 1/2" and the rail and stile bits. That's just a little more than the price cutter bits. Just watch for sales and buy what you need. HTH, Bill

Bruce Page
02-23-2006, 9:31 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I normally buy Freud or Whiteside but PriceCutter had a couple of profiles that look interesting. I think I’ll but one or two and see how they cut.

Jim W. White
02-23-2006, 10:13 AM
I've got a couple and they cut just fine. I was actually quite surprised at the quality for the price that I payed at the time. I don't think you'll be disapointed unless your going to try to use it on a professional day-in/day-out basis.

...Jim in Idaho

Charlie Plesums
02-23-2006, 10:18 AM
I haven't tried those brands, but Fine Woodworking did a study of cheap vs. good bits a while back, and concluded that they were all pretty safe, and initially pretty good, but the better bits lasted a lot longer. They were able to detect wear in some of the cheap bits in as little as 70 linear feet of test cuts.

All that said, I buy the 1/4 inch roundover bits and other common profiles whenever they go on $5 sale, and treat them like a disposable razor.

Barry Beech
02-23-2006, 10:57 AM
I bought one with a specific profile from price cutter. I bought it from them because I knew that the bit will probably only be used for this one application (which wasn't a lot of routing). It did a very good job for me and there wasn't much sanding involved. If it's something that is going to see alot of use I would go with some of the other brands.

Oh, price cutter and eagle america seem to be the same company, same address at least.