PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #25 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
02-22-2006, 7:22 PM
February 22nd, 2006

Well, as Norman pointed out, I missed doing an update yesterday. That's because LOML and I had to go pick out tile for the tub and our shower. We also went to the drywallers POB to select finish style [heavy knockdown]. While there we were introduced to "Magnetic Paint". Got the info on it today as we will probably do a few spots in the house. Tis not cheap though. $20/pint.

We also went looking for light fixtures. Exterior, interior, ceiling fans. We still haven't picked out anything. We may have a new house with no lights. :o We did have Chinese buffet. :) Tasted good as always.

Today was more of the HVAC guys getting the ductwork in as well as setting the new furnace inplace. Benny and Dan got all of the interior of the exterior walls framed, except where the existing block wall is. Then they started building a frame for the whirlpool tub. Norm was back pulling wires. He's getting pretty close to finishing up, even with all my changes. :o

The siding was delivered late yesterday afternoon, but the siding guys didn't show up today. They missed a nice day for outside work. Just after lunch the roofer showed up and started shoveling snow off the roof. Then the shingles got delivered. I guess he's planning on starting tomorrow morning.

To answer a question raised by Steve yesterday, inspection is schduled for Friday afternoon. Thus the frenzy of the subs to finish the rough in work by then. Wall insulation is scheduled for Monday-Tuesday, with the drywall load in on Wednesday. Hanging the drywall will be Thursday-Friday with the taping to commence on the 6th of March.

Jerry, there will be an access door for the motor of the whirlpool tub. And Bill, as John mentioned code calls for 2" drain pipe, so we're covered there.

Here's part of the roof before the roofer shoveled the snow.

Shingles on the truck

Tub frame work

The new furnace

I'm hoping the siding will start tomorrow as well as the shingles. These two things are a little later than had been figured a couple of weeks ago, but they weren't real critical until now. The house needs to be fairly tight for when they start taping the drywall as the heater needs to be working for that and the texture coat.

Benny and the boy's days are numbered on my job I'm afraid. :( I'm gonna miss them. They have been fantastic in helping me understand why stuff has to be, as well as listening to my suggestions [some taken, some not, but with explanations as to why not] and going out of their way to do little things that I notice or change things that I messed up in the original plan [the bedroom windows]. :cool: :D

Well, that's it for today. Thanks for looking.
Hopefully tomorrow will show some shingles and siding in place.

Karl

Jim Becker
02-22-2006, 8:15 PM
Magnetic paint?? Umm...why and what for?

Thanks for the update! Lookin' good, Karl.

Bill Lewis
02-22-2006, 8:23 PM
Because stainless steel refrigerators aren't;)

Frank Pellow
02-22-2006, 8:51 PM

So you can stick magnets in places other than the fridge. :p

I plan to get some for part of one wall in my shop. :)

Steve Ash
02-22-2006, 9:01 PM
Coming along great Karl, thanks for answering my question too. Maybe you ought to call your crew "Benny and the Jets" the way they are flying through this.

Jim Becker
02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Because stainless steel refrigerators aren't

Hmm...mine is, although it takes a rare-earth magnet to stick!! LOL!

Dennis Peacock
02-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Wow Karl,

Looks really good. Moving pretty fast for this time of year. Congrats!!!!

Hey, where's the tools? Aren't they supposed to be in the basement? :rolleyes: :D

George Morris
02-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi karl good to see all the progress looks great ! Are you wireing for smoke alarms and security ? How about speakers and sound system in house? As I work as a firefighter it is good to see fire and smoke hard wired if possible in a new home.

Good luck really looks great!! George..

Karl Laustrup
02-23-2006, 5:50 AM
For those of you that don't know about magnetic paint [which I didn't] it is just that. You pick an area and use this paint, say 2' x 4', once dry you paint over that with your regular wall paint color and presto, you have a section of wall that is magnetized.

Sherwin~Williams sells it in our area. Don't know about other areas or if other manufacturers make this stuff. I plan on using it on a wall in the kitchen for notes and probably a refrigerator magnet or 50. :D The granddaugter wants a spot in her room as does my mom.

No wiring for speakers George. I had thought about it, but decided against it. No security system either. Smoke alarms are code and they must be hard wired. Don't know off hand how many we'll have. I would prefer it be a combo alarm that also warns for CO2. I'm going to check with the electrician today about that. Thanks.

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2006, 8:17 AM
Looks to me like you've got a good contractor Karl whose making good progress! Keep us informed!

John Miliunas
02-23-2006, 8:21 AM
As has been the case, great progress but, I'm still a bit concerned about the square footage that Jacuzzi tub is going to take up. You could easily fit a horizontal belt sander or even a nice lathe in that space. Oh well...At least, with the shower AND that Jacuzzi, you'll be clean and the LOYL shouldn't get mad at you for coming into the house all grubby. :) BTW, have you talked to the builder about when he'll be starting the house??? :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2006, 8:39 AM
Ah but John............after a long day of ww or turning......you can climb out of those shavings cluttered clothes.........climb into the tub........a little wine or beer or just a hand full of shavings...........:)

Tyler Howell
02-23-2006, 9:06 AM
These are some speedy builders.:eek: