PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly dust!

Jack Wood
02-22-2006, 5:47 PM
I have a Griz 12"disc/6"belt sander that makes dust like a west Texas whirlwind!:D It has an inadequate dust port on the disc, dust gets thrown out at the top, and none on the belt. I have tried various arrangements with a DC hose and some hoods but it still puts out a lot. Anyone have a similar problem and hopefully a solution?:confused:

Barry O'Mahony
02-22-2006, 6:39 PM
It has an inadequate dust port on the disc, dust gets thrown out at the top, and none on the belt. I think you have that backwards: there's a 3" port on the belt, and none on the disc.

To be honest, I hardly ever use the belt. I use the disk alot to fine-tune parts and even on metal, but I guess I don't take off enough material for dust to be a problem.

Jim Becker
02-22-2006, 6:41 PM
Barry, my G1276 has a port on the disk, too...it's just "non standard" shaped and a pain to adapt to. Fortunately, I really don't use the disk much at all.

Jack Wood
02-23-2006, 7:03 AM
Barry Jim's right about the port. The belt has just the housing on it and the disc has this really odd shaped small one at the very bottom, pretty much useless.

Jim Becker
02-23-2006, 8:45 AM
Jack, I haven't got around to it...not a priority...but I was planning on trying to fabricate something to allow "more effective" connection to the disk side of the machine. That "ovalish" port is a nightmare, however. I believe there exists somewhere "out there" a mating fixture, or at least there was one long ago when that design came to be, but have never discovered a line on it.

Bob Nazro
02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
I have attached a poor photo of the setup I used for my sander. I will take some better photos tonight.
Basically what I did was install a 4" Y connection and reduced the 2 ports to 2" and connected 2" hose up to the 2 DC connections on the machine. It works quite well for the disk and not bad for the belt. I will have some better views tonight.

Barry O'Mahony
02-23-2006, 4:47 PM
Jim,

You mean the oval opening on the bottom? Grizzly apparently doesn't consider it a dust port, since the spec. sheet doesn't list it as such. It would be a good location to hook up a DC, I would think though.

Jim Becker
02-23-2006, 5:41 PM
You mean the oval opening on the bottom? Grizzly apparently doesn't consider it a dust port, since the spec. sheet doesn't list it as such. It would be a good location to hook up a DC, I would think though.

That's what it's there for, description or not. It's just a bit of a challenge to use it! But we are all creative folks, don't you know... ;)

Vaughn McMillan
02-23-2006, 6:18 PM
Jack, I haven't got around to it...not a priority...but I was planning on trying to fabricate something to allow "more effective" connection to the disk side of the machine. That "ovalish" port is a nightmare, however. I believe there exists somewhere "out there" a mating fixture, or at least there was one long ago when that design came to be, but have never discovered a line on it.
Jim, have you considered flexible rubber sewer/drain pipe fittings? I'm using a 4" to 2" rubber sewer line reducer to connect my shop vac to the BS and jointer. The hose clamps "adjust" the diameter enough to make a good slip fitting for the vac hose, and a tight clamped connection at the machine. I've also used 2" x 2" rubber sewer couplings to connect two male shop vac hose ends together. These are only stopgap measures until I get a real DC system, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how well the rubber fittings work. I'll bet you could make one go oval pretty easily.

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
02-23-2006, 9:42 PM
Vaughn, without going out and measuring things, the port under the 12" disk is not anything close to round....its about 1" wide by about 5" long...oblong. It will require some fabrication.

Bob Nazro
02-23-2006, 9:55 PM
Here are a couple of photos of what I did with my sander. It's not pretty but it works.

http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/12008/100_2055.JPG
(http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-3181)
http://www.woodworking.org/photo/albums/userpics/12008/100_2056.JPG
(http://www.woodworking.org/photo/displayimage.php?pos=-3180)

Jim Becker
02-23-2006, 9:56 PM
Your unit is very different from mine, Bob.

Jack Wood
02-24-2006, 2:29 AM
Jim this a bit off the topic but thought you might know. When I got the Griz sander it came with two of those blowup sanding pads, tube shaped. There is a shaft that is splined at one end and it fits into the tube sander. My question is if this can be used on this Grizzly? There were no instructions and from looking at the machine I'm not sure how it's suppose to work, any ideas?

Vaughn McMillan
02-24-2006, 2:49 AM
Vaughn, without going out and measuring things, the port under the 12" disk is not anything close to round....its about 1" wide by about 5" long...oblong. It will require some fabrication.
Two words: Duct tape :D

- Vaughn

Jack Wood
02-24-2006, 3:03 AM
AFLAC! We prefer to call that migratory water fowl retaining film, thank you!:D

Jim Becker
02-24-2006, 9:51 AM
Jim this a bit off the topic but thought you might know. When I got the Griz sander it came with two of those blowup sanding pads, tube shaped. There is a shaft that is splined at one end and it fits into the tube sander. My question is if this can be used on this Grizzly? There were no instructions and from looking at the machine I'm not sure how it's suppose to work, any ideas?
Not on my G1276...there is no shaft for such a thing on it.

Two words: Duct tape
Been there...tried that the one and only time I've used the disk. No deal. I really have to make a hood that will bolt on using the two holes provided for the phantom OEM hood.