PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom Cradle

Dewayne Baker
02-22-2006, 4:04 PM
This is one my most recent projects. This heirloom cradle was featured in woodsmith magazine vol.48 December 1986.Which I happen to have in my collection. I researched cradle bedding dimensions and immediately found that I would want to redraw the plans to accommodate standard 18"x36" bedding. I used as much of the dimensions and construction details as I could. By determining the scale of the working drawings in the issue I was able to draw and create my own templates.
I don't have a lathe to turn spindles and didn't want to buy them. So I made slats that are dry fit into mortises.
This cradle features Q-sawn white oak and purple heart. I shaped the purple heart knobs using the router table and drill press.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1115451/JDGZH-Cradleprogress024.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1115451/MSMDH-Cradleprogress025.jpg

This cradle is a knock down design so it can be easily boxed up and stored. For easy assembly of the end panels and side rails I installed some dowels that act as alignment pins.
Wedged tenons are removed to disasemble the base.

Thanks for looking,

Matt Meiser
02-22-2006, 4:16 PM
Very nice! A cradle was one of my first projects. The only problem is you don't get to use it very long.

Ed Breen
02-22-2006, 4:36 PM
Dewayne,
Excellent work, I have to take exception to Matt's comment. Back in 1970 I built a cradle for my daughter who was expected soon. She was born and used it. My oldest son had two daughters who also used it in thge late seventies. When we moved to Muskogee we dragged it along, (constantly repairing the spindles, ) and for the past twenty five years or so it's been used by many of my managers for their infants. We still keep it available. By the way, when I built it I had one drill, one saw and a few other hand tools.
Itsa funny how something just lasts and lasts!
Ed

Tyler Howell
02-22-2006, 5:03 PM
Dewayne this must be the Golden Child. He/She has better heir loom quality furniture than most people.
Well done.

Ken Garlock
02-22-2006, 5:08 PM
Very nice cradle, DeWayne. I like the shape and appearance, nice.:)

Jim Becker
02-22-2006, 5:14 PM
Nice job, Dewayne. I'm sure that will stand up to many generations!

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-22-2006, 7:58 PM
Super job Dwayne, hope mine turns out half as good.

Bruce

Bruce Page
02-22-2006, 8:09 PM
Great looking cradle Dewayne. I built the same cradle using Birdseye & cherry a couple of years ago for my granddaughter. It was a fun project.

Earl Reid
02-22-2006, 8:25 PM
Beautiful cradle, Dewayne. Nice choice of wood.

Earl:)

lou sansone
02-23-2006, 8:09 AM
wow ... real nice design .. I really like it

lou

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2006, 8:13 AM
Excellent work Dewayne! I like the woods; they compliment each other!

Dewayne Baker
02-23-2006, 5:10 PM
Thanks for the complements and comments all.

I have grown more confident in my woodworking as it has progressed since my first project. I plan to enter this cradle in a judged exhibition at a local fare. I know only a couple other woodworkers in my area and looking forward to see what I will find. Possibly even meet new friends.

Joe Unni
02-23-2006, 5:20 PM
I too built a cradle for my first...then the 2nd came along and she used it as well.

Great job Dewayne!

-joe