PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Question

Jerry Bittner
02-22-2006, 2:58 PM
Building a crib which has a multitude of slats -- 52 in all. Cut a template and made a jig for cutting them. Roughed out the slates on the band saw staying about 1/8" outside the template lines as suggested by the plans.

However, the 1/2 inch pattern bit I bought to shape the slats to final size will only cut about 1/16" -- anything more and it gouges or splinters the board. I thought this bit was ideal since it is configured with the bearing midway between the cutter head the shaft. In other words on my router table, it - the bearing -- runs on the face of the jig template. I can make this bit work but it requires taking all the slats back to the band saw to take off another 1/16th.

I guess my alternative is to use a regular straight bit and let the shaft of the bit run on the template face -- is that an acceptable procedure.

To clarify. I'm using Maple, supposedly soft maple. I'm feeding left to right. And as to direction of the grain, I hate to admit it (look ashamed) but I thought it only made a difference in cutting going cross grain. The analogy about petting the dog makes sense -- back to the wood shop to check the grain direction.

Doug Jones from Oregon
02-22-2006, 3:16 PM
Jerry, you did not indicate what type of wood your are using for your crib. If it is oak, this would likely be your problem rather than the bit itself. I don't think that the bit is the problem.

John Hemenway
02-22-2006, 3:19 PM
Some woods are just like that! :(

The nice thing about 52 slats is if you find a way to do the routing, you'll be real good at it by the time you finish. :)

Are you routing with or against the grain? Kinda like petting a dog - head to tail, with grain -- tail to head, against the grain. You might try putting the template on the other side of the slat keeping feed right to left. This will reverse the direction you are feeding with relationship to the grain.

If there is a way you can replace the bearing on the bit with a larger one, you could take shallower cuts. Then go back to original bearing for final trim.

Charles McCracken
02-22-2006, 3:26 PM
John may be on the right track with the grain direction. You could also try a top and bottom bearing bit like the 50-509 so you can run half with the template on the bottom then flip slat with template attached and lower the bit to run the other half.

Dewayne Baker
02-22-2006, 3:35 PM
I'm not to clear on the bit you are using but I just made a cradle with slats. I made a jig to be used with a brass collar (bushing) and a up cut spiral bit. for a precise length and depth cut every time. I made the jig first routed a test mortise and cut and rounded over the slats to fit.

Here's a pic to try to clarify

John Lucas
02-22-2006, 3:51 PM
I guess my alternative is to use a regular straight bit and let the shaft of the bit run on the template face -- is that an acceptable procedure.

No No No. It is not acceptable. It can heat the shaft and cause other problems and the shaft can actually burn into the template and ruin it. Ball bearing are for that purpose.

1/8" should be sufficient...any closer and you may nick the template. When you template route, dont stay on an area if it isnt cutting. You rbit will overheat and be less able to cut. Make shallow cuts until you cut no longer. Some pieces and grain orientation will act that way.

Are you using Freud bit?

Jerry Bittner
02-22-2006, 3:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. Using what I could get from the local box a Porter Cable pattern bit.

Charles McCracken
02-22-2006, 4:40 PM
Jerry,

It will take a little longer because of the bit changes but you could get a bottom bearing flush trim bit and cut half with the template on top, flip the slat and template and use the top bearing bit you have for the other half.