PDA

View Full Version : Free jet cannister filter

David Pettibone
02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Hello All

I am one of the guys who hasn't had any success with the 2HP Jet Cannister Style Dust Collector. Actually, I think it may have aged me!!!! Anyways, thanks to Jim Becker, Andy London, and many more, I upgraded to a 2HP Cyclone. The shop now smells sweeter than ever and I feel 20 again!!! I think I was strikin by the "Dust Collector of Youth".

Anyways, I have been cleaning and organizing things above my shop and came across a brand new, yes brand new, jet cannister filter that I had gotten as an extra when I purchased my dust collector. Right now, it is taking up space and serves no purpose to me. It is in the box and waiting for a home. It is too expensive to ship to anyone (it weighs 23 pounds, 30 including the box), so if you live in Macomb County Michigan (or near by) and can meet me up at the 16 1/2 mile and Van Dyke Woodcraft Store, please contact me. The first person to pm me can have it for the low, low price of $00.00.

But PLEASE, were on the honor system here fellas. I would apprecitate it if you don't take this and sell it on Ebay or try to return it. I sincerely want someone to have this that is going to use it. That's all. No hidden fees. I know there are some guys here in Macomb/Oakland County and hopefully one of you can use it or maybe you know someone who can use it. If there are no takers, I'll put it up on the local Woodcraft board for someone to have. I was kinda hoping a SawMill Creek member could use it.

I will be off the computer until later this afternoon or this evening. Again, the first pm can have it and I can meet ya up at the woodcraft store this weekend. If this is inappropriate to post here, I apologize in advance and please remove.

Thanks, David:)

p.s. Yes, I know I could sell it on Ebay, but I am not into that scene at all and I'd much rather give it to someone who can use it.

Bruce Page
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
David, there’s nothing inappropriate about this post. In fact, it is a very nice gesture IMHO.

Bob Wingard
02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
PM sent .. .. ..

Glenn Clabo
02-22-2006, 1:04 PM
Breaks the rules??? I don't think so. It's what this place is all about. Very nice David.

Robert Mayer
02-22-2006, 1:57 PM
If your giving away stuff you can post it anywhere you want.

Jeffrey Makiel
02-22-2006, 3:29 PM
David,
I just ordered one via the Amazon sale because I got caught up in the feeding frenzy. I was reluctant to try one of these because of clogging. Can you be more specific as to why you didn't like it? I have a feeling I know the answer, but your opinion is appreciated.
-Jeff

Allen Grimes
02-22-2006, 3:35 PM
I was very happy to be first in line, and recieved the PM saying that it was mine if I could use it, but unfortunately I cant (I thought he meant something else), so I had to decline. So congrats to whoever gets it.

EDIT: This post is yet another reason why the SMC is such a great place to be and a great group to be a part of.

Thanks again David.

David Pettibone
02-22-2006, 7:30 PM
Hello SawMillCreek Members

As originally stated, I would like to give this to someone local whom I can meet at the local Woodcraft Store. If no one local comes forth in 48 hours after my original post, here's what I'll do. The first pm was from Allen Grimes and I just read his response that he can't use it. The second and third responses were from Eric Porter at 12:23 p.m. and Bob Wingard at 12:50 p.m. Both are out of state, but would take it if I am willing to send it to them. Let's give it until the Friday morning at the same time as my original post as today. Fair enough? I hope this does not create any problems.

As for Jeff's question, my problems were mainly because I was cutting particleboard most of the time and the pleats get clogged very, very quickly. The flapper did next to nothing as far as solving the problem. The inside of the pleats have a coating on them and the dust will stick to it and cause a MAJOR drop in cfm's (even if you put flour in it). For me, the bearings in my motor went and that was the end of it. I still have a message from a Jet rep on my answering machine who told me after a years worth of problems that I may have to turn the flapper after EVERY CUT!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: I swear this is the truth. I blew out the pleats constantly and even removed it and brought it outside to blow out completely and you would not believe the amount of dust still coming off the pleats. This was AFTER I had already blown it out in the shop while it was attached and running. I kept back about 8 inches from the pleats, but it didn't make a difference. That dust gets caked on bigtime. Those were my experiences, yours may vary. Maybe pine and oak dust won't work quite the same way particleboard does. Good luck with whatever choice you've made.

My cyclone also has pleats, but 95% plus of the dust never reaches it. I still take the filter off every 3 months and clean it outside. It is easy and painless to do and it makes a big difference it the air you can draw from each tool.

Thank you Glenn, Bruce, Allen and all of you for the kind comments. I will post again on Friday afternoon and contact the first in line if no one local pm's me first. Thanks!:)

David

p.s. Thanks for the pm's Allen, Eric, and Bob.