PDA

View Full Version : such a waste..

markus shaffer
07-31-2003, 12:10 PM
on the way to work today, we passed this mess. it's unfortunate that big trees get cut down here in the city all the time and they just get turned to mulch. since we have such a big budget deficit, i though i might send a letter to the parks and recreation department suggesting that they invest in a bandsaw mill. (fat chance) i spoke with some of these guys last summer and they said all the trees they cut down either get mulched but a lot of time just hauled away to a landfill. they said walnut is always hauled away because the mulch is used in city park dog runs. perhaps someone nearby with a portable mill would like to bring it into the city every once in awhile.. that would be a sight, a woodmizer set up in central park. laughs..

-markus

Jeff Watson
07-31-2003, 1:10 PM
A few years back I saw an episode of NYW or maybe TOH that did a story on the city of Cincinnati turning the trees they cut down into lumber. I remember they had a portable sawmill come right to the site and cut up the tree. Maybe someone else can follow-up who remembers better than I.

Steven Wilson
07-31-2003, 3:26 PM
Man, look at the bowl blanks in that pile !!! Our local woodturning group has an informal email notification process for felled trees. It doesn't take long for a bunch of crazed turners armed with chainsaws to make a large tree disapear.

chris toomey
07-31-2003, 4:58 PM
economics...pure and simple. it has to be faster and CHEAPER to grind that tree up, than it is to cut it into lumber....especially at government worker wages. what a shame.......