PDA

View Full Version : Need inexpensive right-angle drill

Brian Shutter
02-22-2006, 10:23 AM
After fighting to install drawer slides with a shorty screwdriver in some fairly tight spaces I've decided I need to find a right-angle drill. I know it won't get much use so I don't want to spend a lot.

I found this one at Harbor Freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92956 , and I'm just wondering if anyone has this drill or has used it or has any comments on it. I can't imagine using the drill for anything other than installing drawer slides so power isn't terribly important to me.

Thanks

Brian

Byron Trantham
02-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Brian,
It looks like it will do the job you want. I bought one for the very same purpose. I got the Makita. I think I paid $120 for it. Boy was I surprised at how much I actually use it. Mine has an LED near the chuck which seems a bit much but I sure was nice when I was inside the cabinet and could SEE what I was doing. BTW, I insisted on a corded version thinking that wouldn't use it enough to keep the batteries alive. I think that was a good decision. Good luck with your purchase.

CPeter James
02-22-2006, 10:40 AM
Looks interesting. Let us know if you get one and how it works out.

CPeter

Justin Nelson
02-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I ran into the very same problem you are having, needed a right angle drill for a narrow drawer stack and didn't think that I would need it much again, so I ran to sears and got the 19.2 volt drill/driver and angle drill combo pack for around a hundred bucks or so.
The angle drill has plenty of power, batteries last a decent amount of time and as a bonus I got another drill for the shop. Might be worth looking into for you. Good Luck

Matt Meiser
02-22-2006, 10:56 AM
My experience has been that most of the HF corded tools are just fine for occasional use. I have one of the $14.99 4-1/2" angle grinders which has been great. I actually like it better than my dad's Makita which cost 4X as much.

If you have a store nearby, make sure you print out the internet price since the store sales don't always match up. They will honor the internet price.

Mike Cutler
02-22-2006, 11:21 AM
Milwaukee makes a small right angle drill attachment, it's about twice as large in diameter as a tire inflation gauge. It's a hex drive, and uses hex drive drill bits and screw drivers. You can't do any heavy drilling with it though.
It's a great little tool to have around. The positions are a lot more variable.

The Milwaukee P/N is 49-22-8510. They are about $35-$55 bucks.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productsearch_27_40027_-1_329656_329655_362_Y

Dewayne Baker
02-22-2006, 3:18 PM
I grew discouraged with HF brand drills after I burned up a hammer drill after only using it 3 or 4 times.

If you already have a good drill driver I recommend an angle drill attachment like this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43623

I bought this one and was surprised at how solid it is for the price.

One time in a pinch I used a air ratchet with a nut driver socket that was a perfect fit for a driver bit. Just watch out using this method as the air tool has enough power to run the screw completely through the work.

Jim O'Dell
02-22-2006, 4:36 PM
What about a right angle attachment to chuck into a regular or cordless drill if it's not something you need a lot? Might be cheaper. I've never used one to have any idea how it would work for the purpose you need it for, but just an idea to think about. I saw one advertised recently, may have been a HF ad in my email. I didn't pay too much attention to it. Jim.

Steven Wilson
02-22-2006, 7:02 PM
I solved it by buying the Festool right angle chuck for my drill. I use to have two cordless drills (Dewalt straight and right angle) but downsized to one Festool drill with a bunch of chucks. Total cost is less that having two drills

Jim Becker
02-22-2006, 8:03 PM
I solved it by buying the Festool right angle chuck for my drill. I use to have two cordless drills (Dewalt straight and right angle) but downsized to one Festool drill with a bunch of chucks. Total cost is less that having two drills

I have the same setup in my shop now (and love it!), but one of the inexpensive "electric screw drivers" with the adjustable head angle would serve well for incidental "tight quarters" maneuvering. They probably wouldn't be good for a lot of work and for heavy driving due to low power.

Matt Meiser
02-22-2006, 8:39 PM
I took a look at the one at harbor freight this evening and it at least doesn't feel cheap.

Keith Barkhau
02-22-2006, 9:23 PM
You might want to take a look at the Home Depot 12v right angle impact driver (try saying that five times fast). At $129 it might be more then you were looking to spend, but I've found I really use mine--and it seems to be pretty good even for a borg tool. I got mine at that "online-auction-site-which-is-not-to-be-named" for about half price, but after using it awhile I would have bought one even for full price. The only real downside (as with all impact drivers) is the noise level when it kicks into impact mode, but it sure does a number driving screws in tight places.

link: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&N=2984+3966&BV_SessionID=@@@@0202551817.1140660516@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfladdhdjdhmmgcgelceffdfgidglm.0&MID=9876

Dale Belter
02-22-2006, 9:58 PM
I have the HF right angle drill attachment that D. Baker has the link for. Used it many times, works great.

Dale

Chris Johnson
02-22-2006, 10:30 PM
I bought an identical angle drill at schucks auto supply. It looks the same just a different color. It has proven itself extremely valuable more than a few times. The only negative to this drill (check to see if the HF model is different) is the lack of an electric brake. This makes it hard to drive screws because it does not stop imediately when you release the trigger. This can be remedied by applying the right amount of pressure when driving screws, and what works the best is to stick to square drive screws. Less cam out helps alot.

Hope that helps
Chris

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2006, 1:00 AM
I bought the Craftsman 19.2 kit that included the angle drill and and 1/2 drill. Came with two battery packs and quick charger. $89 on sale. Works well. Good Luck, Bill

Steven Wilson
02-23-2006, 1:34 AM
I have the same setup in my shop now (and love it!), but one of the inexpensive "electric screw drivers" with the adjustable head angle would serve well for incidental "tight quarters" maneuvering. They probably wouldn't be good for a lot of work and for heavy driving due to low power.
The Festool chucks really make the system great. I've been rigging my boat and I always end up in some strange position. The Festool is just fantastic for handling strange positions and that offset chuck can get in tight. I use to be fairly satisfied with the Dewalt 14.4v drills I had but the Festool just blows them away.

Matt Meiser
02-28-2006, 9:43 PM
I just noticed tonight that Harbor Freight has this drill on sale for $25 online. If you print the online ad, they'll match the price in the store. If you can find a 20% off coupon, you can get it for under $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92956

Clint Malone
02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
You may want to look on the I-Cove auction site (or whatever that big auction site is called). Many times they have right angles for sale w/o a battery for pretty cheap. You can probably get one that takes the same battery as your regular cordless.

Jay T. Marlin
02-28-2006, 11:30 PM
From what I remember, ebay is a great place to get deals on Milwaukee righta angle drills. They sell for way less than what they go for at stores... maybe 1/2 price.

Bill Neely
03-01-2006, 2:19 AM
Brian, I've heard some positive comments about the Bosch/Skil IXO screwdriver. There is a mini review in the latest FWW. It sure looks like it would be just the ticket for driving those small screws for drawer slides.

Phil Winn
03-01-2006, 2:30 AM
Woodcraft is having a sale (50% off---reg $19.95 Now $9.99) on a right angle attachment for a 3/8" drill....I was trying to find the product number
on the Woodcraft website...BUT their site is down right now (or doesn't work with my computer...)...Sorry.
Phil

Brian Shutter
03-01-2006, 9:11 AM
After reading all the responses I've decided to find a good right-angle attachment instead of a dedicated drill. There are too many variables with the drill.

I looked at a Milwaukee attachment at HD; it looked solid but the chuck only accepted hex bits. I would like a regular Jacobs chuck. If I remember correctly Milwaukee does sell a right-angle attachment with a Jacobs chuck so I'll just keep looking.

HD did have an attachment made by Vermont America which looked like it would work but I have used and broken too many Vermont America tools to justify spending my money on any more.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Brian