PDA

View Full Version : Help justify my purchase

Nick Clayton
02-22-2006, 7:38 AM
I think I got a good deal, but because I'm new to the better side of woodworking I'm unsure. Yesterday I went and bought a nice plunge router from a gentleman that was selling his shop because he was moving to Florida. I noticed he had what looked like a cabinet saw with extension table for sale and inquired what he was selling it for. He asked $500, I suggested $400 and we had a deal. It turns out that it is a Delta 36-755 w/ 30" Unifence and Delta extension table 34-915. The saw appears to be in great shape and looks brand new. I'm headed over to pick it up after work today.
The saw it is replacing is a little wanker of a Delta bench to saw that worked well when I was making imperfect cuts in thin pine or cedar, but I thought this would be an unquestionable improvement. So my question to the omnipitous tool guru's is, did I get a fair saw for the money? I mean the best I could have done for that money new would have been a contractor’s saw on the low to mid end wouldn't it? Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Nick

Chris Barton
02-22-2006, 7:48 AM
You got a good deal if the saw is in the condition you suggest. Breathe easy and enjoy!

Chris Fite
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I have had one of them for 15 years. It is a good saw and will perform well for you. You got an excellent price, in my mind.

Maurice Ungaro
02-22-2006, 12:14 PM
You got ripped off. Tell you what, so as you don't sting to much from the beating you took, I'll take that thing off your hands for $550. :D

William Lewis
02-22-2006, 12:24 PM
No pictures didn't happen. LOL That's what they say. On the other hand great invisible gloat.

William Lewis

Jim O'Dell
02-22-2006, 1:07 PM
That would be a ghost gloat!!! Jim.

Brian Parker
02-22-2006, 1:45 PM
Man why can't anyone around Pittsburgh ever be selling anything good like that. I got tool envy.

Lou Morrissette
02-22-2006, 2:18 PM
Nick,
First of all, welcome to the Creek. I think any decent cabinet saw in this area under $700 is a great deal. But, like the other guys said, it didn't happen without pics.:rolleyes: :D

good luck

Lou

Ken Fitzgerald
02-22-2006, 3:12 PM
Yeah......right! Coming to the Creek for justifying a new power tools is like a dope addict going to other addicts for justifyiing their next fix!:D Nice buy!

scott spencer
02-22-2006, 5:58 PM
No pictures didn't happen. LOL That's what they say. On the other hand great invisible gloat.

William Lewis Yep....he got an "alleged" good deal! :D

Jerry Olexa
02-22-2006, 9:00 PM
Without pictures, doesn't count...Would've been a good deal otherwise..:)

Russ Massery
02-22-2006, 9:16 PM
I don't mean to spoil your fun. But this is a tiling arbor saw Delta made a while back. It's not a true cabinet saw. But still a good deal. If I remember right the when for about 800.00-900.00 new. I think there built more like a Hybrid.

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2006, 1:16 AM
That would be a ghost gloat!!! Jim.

Yep, I really think you're gloating:D . That's okay here though, we appreciate good gloats:) . We know that most wives don't show the enthusiasm we would like, so this is the only place that we can go to get the kind of reinforcement and encouragement. Welcome and gloat all you want, but yes, do post pics. Regards, Bill

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2006, 1:19 AM
I don't mean to spoil your fun. But this is a tiling arbor saw Delta made a while back. It's not a true cabinet saw. But still a good deal. If I remember right the when for about 800.00-900.00 new. I think there built more like a Hybrid.

Russ is right. You should not have bought this saw. I have an old Craftsman that I am using. So, what I will do is trade you even up, and take that thing off your hands:D. I know, I am feeling generous today. Regards, Bill

Nick Clayton
02-23-2006, 7:52 AM
First thannks for the replys. I should have probably titled it as 'did I get a good deal'. I'm starting off building my shop when I can so I don't have much knowledge about what have been good tools in the past. While I am happy with the purchase I wasn't gloating as I didn't know if I spent too much.
Russ you're probably correct as I'm mostly tool ignorant. It does have an enclosed base like a cabinet saw, but other than that I don't know what makes a hybrid and cabinet different. I have the original receipts and with the extension table and 30" unifence the total in 1992 was $1438.17.

Now to prove it happened.........................
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=32582&d=1140698887

I don't know if you can see it. I tried embedding it, but no luck.

John Miliunas
02-23-2006, 8:32 AM
Nick, take this FWIW but, many consider me to be somewhat of a "tool junkie". You done good, my man!!! You done good! :D Enjoy it in good health and with money still in your pocket. You'd have spent a LOT more for a LOT less had you gone the "new" route!:) :cool:

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2006, 9:50 AM
Just like John said, you did really good. Enjoy the saw. I paid $300 for my craftsman 10 years ago and it is not half the saw you just bought. Let us know how you like it. And don't worry about gloating, it is really okay here. Regards, Bill