PDA

View Full Version : Weather Station Completed-Son's requests.

Tom Pritchard
02-21-2006, 7:15 PM
A few days back I posted a question on the best way to mount 3 weather gauges on a piece of spalted maple I had. I received a great number of wonderful replies from you, and I passed them by my son. After much consideration he told me "OK round over for the edge, full not stopped. I want it vertical, not horizontal or it won't fit the wall I want to put it on. I want a tung oil finish, no darker, and no glossy varnish,"

So I finished it up with his requests and here it is! A fun little project that he just loves! I mounted the gauges closer together and left more wood exposed at the top and bottom, which he liked. I did 3 coats of polymerized tung oil, snuck in 2 coats of Johnson's paste wax, and the finish came out great (I think;) ). The pictures really don't show the depth of the grain very well, but their close. Thanks for looking, and thanks again for all the ideas. He was very impressed with your creativity!:D

Karl Laustrup
02-21-2006, 7:19 PM
Tom, that came out great. Glad the customer likes it too. :)

That is a nice piece of wood and as I recall someone said it should go just as it is, as it looks like mountains.

Karl

Eric Shields
02-21-2006, 7:22 PM
Tom,

Great piece and great selection of wood. I love it. I will need to keep this in the "remember what to build" when my shop is finished. My father would love one.

Eric

Mark Rios
02-21-2006, 7:31 PM
Boy, that looks really great Tom. Nice job.

Matt Meiser
02-21-2006, 7:42 PM
Looks great!

Wes Bischel
02-21-2006, 8:08 PM
Tom,
The station looks great. I think you used the grain to it's best advantage. Nice job, especially since your son is happy.

Wes

David Fried
02-21-2006, 8:17 PM
Tom,

Looks great, cool wood,and fits the space nicely! I really like the oil/wax finish on that wood. Great job.

Dave Fried

Jim Becker
02-21-2006, 9:31 PM
Very nice piece, Tom. I'm sure it will be appreciated for a long time, too!

Corey Hallagan
02-21-2006, 11:59 PM
Looks great Tom. Very nice, love that spalting!

Corey